Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no such requirement. (There is no federal requirement for a vehicle to have a horn, and from a quick search it looks like only 5 states have a horn requirement in their inspections...)
Definitely context needed there. There is a federal requirement for horns on commercial vehicles, but by virtue of the way the auto industry developed, there is technically not a federal requirement, but in practice it is pervasively required by the states - more than 5. I started looking (mostly alphabetically) and I reached 5 states even before I got out of the D's: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware.

A letter from NHTSA regarding this topic:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) does not require a horn on motor vehicles. Our safety standard for motor vehicle controls and displays (Safety Standard No. 101, 49 CFR '571.101) specifies requirements for a horn if one is provided. The horn must be operable by the driver, and must be identified as specified in the standard. I am enclosing a copy of Standard No. 101 for your information.

Our sister agency in the Department, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), has operational and equipment requirements for commercial vehicles used in interstate commerce. For further information about FHWA requirements, you can contact that agency's Chief Counsel's office at (202) 366-0650.

In addition, some States regulate the use of horns. You have provided an excerpt (Section 12-401 "Horns and other Warning Devices") from the Uniform Vehicle Code and Model Traffic Ordinance. The Code is not a Federal statute, but is available for enactment by the States.

Delivery went smooth, no glitches. Car was prepped and we didn't find any issues. POS tax rebate taken off purchase price. FUSC account transferred and verified on new car software screen before leaving delivery site. Charged later that day at Supercharger for free. 2024 VIN has traditional horn in center of steering wheel and horn button has been replaced by a quick rear camera button, which is awesome and I have used already. Set up Wifi and Homelink yesterday no problem. Premium connectivity was pre-installed. Tow hitch comes with the car but is hidden. No Nema adapters come with car. Have to buy them separately on Tesla website. Installed Novsight mats when I got home which fit well and look great and very thick ,$100, great deal. Love the car . So many improvements over 2016 X
I just received my vin. OD 12/29/23. Did your transfer of FUSC show in your purchase agreement? Mine shows pay as you go supercharging even though the app shows my intent to transfer from my old vehicle.

Got my VIN yesterday, Delivery 2/4 RF (UR Poverty) OD 10/30

I seem to recall that the order fee $250 is added to purchase price and then credited as you already paid it, but my final purchase agreement just has the credit and I was not charged on the front end. Anyone else?

Got an update this morning. Delivery window down from 5 weeks to 3.

Ordered 11/14/2023
MX Plaid, Ultra Red/Cream, 20's, yoke
EDD1: Jan - Feb
EDD2: Feb 1 - Mar -28 (updated 11/17)
EDD3: Dec 30 - Feb 3 (updated 12/12)
EDD4: Jan 25 - Mar 7 (updated 12/19)
EDD5: Feb 2 - Mar 8 (updated 1/21)
EDD6: Feb 11 - Mar 3 (updated 2/3)

So I’ve a pickup this Sunday and Tesla is asking me to downpayment ahead of time even before I can see the vehicle. When I asked them I got the corporate lingo saying our cars go through rigorous testing. :rolleyes:

Back in 2017, I remember we were giving VIP treatment and they even allowed us to take pictures before we handed them check.

What are my options?
@tezlaMXRed2017

I remember the VIP TREATMENT for my December 2016 MX...lots of great swag included, as well.

For my MXLR 2023 delivery in December I was able to pay the entire cost from the Tesla App. I did this AFTER inspecting my vehicle at my leisure and to my satisfaction.

Reactions: jboy210
Order 10/26, pickup yesterday at Houston Cypress. Tax edition ultrared is amazing. No issues at all, alignments are perfect. Vision system calibrated within about 5 miles, FSD working well. Installed S3XY Buttons right away, game changer those things are, must have imo. So now I have graduated from this thread after 3 long months lol, will follow the general MX thread moving forward. The horn lol, I will never use but the new camera button is awesome for parking. Now if I can just get a yoke!
@tezlaMXRed2017

Congrats and glad you're pleased with your X. I am as well and a HUGE UPGRADE from my Legacy 2016.

What are the S3XY buttons you referred to?

@tezlaMXRed2017

I remember the VIP TREATMENT for my December 2016 MX...lots of great swag included, as well.

For my MXLR 2023 delivery in December I was able to pay the entire cost from the Tesla App. I did this AFTER inspecting my vehicle at my leisure and to my satisfaction.

Same for my 2015. We showed up to Fremont for our delivery and factory tour. A full hot breakfast was offered. The DS assigned to us was with us the entire time during the inspection. They offered to let us test drive our car before paying. I declined the drive as I'd already test driven one. Something I wouldn't decline today as quality and serious issues are more likely to be present that Tesla won't fix later (hence my bought back MXP).