Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery chaos continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 12 pages and other multiple threads not enough awareness yet? That and the obvious demand backlog after waiting 3 years for uk launch. Only someone newly arrived from Mars would be unaware of the delivery situation at present.

Many customers will not bother with forums or social media for their Tesla updates and in this case people would only really be aware of delivery issues by direct communication from Tesla

Reactions: RjbT3
But had I known this when I ordered the car, I would be happy now.

I agree with you completely on that point

Tesla is either ignorant of how they are perceived by many thousands of UK customers who reserved cars, has no idea how to fix or just does not care. I suppose when you have a world-class product, you can treat customers like that.

I think it is different (but your earlier point stands :) ). I think once backlog is cleared then this "allocate close to delivery" (instead of "make to order") will work for them. The problem is during the backlog order fulfilment ... compounded by the fact that they must have known there would be a problem (they've had experience from doing this in EU LHD for before UK RHD) ... Tesla have completely failed to address it in COMMs (although now they are doing some texts - NOW? Its months late ... and some people are getting two copies ... and some none). That sort of shoddy COMMs has been normal for Tesla; but "why" I have no clue.

Grand prix team:
"We'll change tyres at lap 12 and 42"
"OK. What if there is a safety car?"
"If its on lap 1 change tyres, if it is after lap 9 change tyres ..." etc. etc. etc.

Tesla:
"How many UK orders do we think we will get on Day One?"
"Pick a number"
"OK, great"

instead of

"5000"
"OK reserve RHD production for that. What if we only get 1,000 or 10,000?"
"If less than 3,000 we should do X, and if more than 7,000 we should do Y, but note that we will have to start build a month before 1st order, so we need to consider if the Brits weirdly order loads of Blue and no White [which we did!] then we should do Z"

Actually maybe Tesla did have all that planning in play ... but they sure never told anyone how allocation worked.

Why? I dunno.

The problem is that all other brands tell you "Your car will be available in 7 months 8 days 3 hours and 24 minutes", so that sets expectation. "Tesla does it differently" is OK (particularly if it works), but surely?? all the more reason to tell people you do it differently.

Complain to Tesla, that feedback will be helpful to them. Page after Page of "I have been conned" or "I could do this better" ... take it somewhere else please.

So the issue is, do we raise awareness so that potential customers can prepare themselves or do we try and cover up the chaos?

On that I disagree, although indirectly.

People are on here saying "I'm been shafted / miss-sold / a monkey with a spreadsheet could do allocation" ... and they are going on ... and on ... about it. People who have been here a while are doing their best to say "This is Tesla, they don't do it that way". I suppose no great surprise that the messenger is in the firing line or ignored, or the message is not the one people want to hear.

One of the spectacular Tesla COMMs failures was their reissue of all orders with apparently a price increase (which actually turned out to be the Government Grant bit presented differently). Almost no one was interested to hear "Tesla will sort this out" and no one was believing "You'll get the lower price" ... but here we are, Tesla have done yet another own goal, reduced / changed prices and caused even more chaos, and as usually Support Staff no idea this was coming nor had any briefing (before the fact) on how to handle it ... but ... surprise surprise ... everyone is actually getting lower prices; just as has happened at each similar occasion in the past( try that with another Brand - the Dealer will pocket that for all existing orders). But still people are complaining that Allocation is not the same as they want, or are used to, or how other Brands do it, and the Delivery Date on the website is still "yesterday" (no argument from me that that is wrong ... but also no surprise to me that that cock-up exists)

I agree with you completely on that point

I think it is different (but your earlier point stands :) ). I think once backlog is cleared then this "allocate close to delivery" (instead of "make to order") will work for them. The problem is during the backlog order fulfilment ... compounded by the fact that they must have known there would be a problem (they've had experience from doing this in EU LHD for before UK RHD) ... Tesla have completely failed to address it in COMMs (although now they are doing some texts - NOW? Its months late ... and some people are getting two copies ... and some none). That sort of shoddy COMMs has been normal for Tesla; but "why" I have no clue.

Grand prix team:
"We'll change tyres at lap 12 and 42"
"OK. What if there is a safety car?"
"If its on lap 1 change tyres, if it is after lap 9 change tyres ..." etc. etc. etc.

Tesla:
"How many UK orders do we think we will get on Day One?"
"Pick a number"
"OK, great"

instead of

"5000"
"OK reserve RHD production for that. What if we only get 1,000 or 10,000?"
"If less than 3,000 we should do X, and if more than 7,000 we should do Y, but note that we will have to start build a month before 1st order, so we need to consider if the Brits weirdly order loads of Blue and no White [which we did!] then we should do Z"

Actually maybe Tesla did have all that planning in play ... but they sure never told anyone how allocation worked.

Why? I dunno.

The problem is that all other brands tell you "Your car will be available in 7 months 8 days 3 hours and 24 minutes", so that sets expectation. "Tesla does it differently" is OK (particularly if it works), but surely?? all the more reason to tell people you do it differently.

Complain to Tesla, that feedback will be helpful to them. Page after Page of "I have been conned" or "I could do this better" ... take it somewhere else please.

On that I disagree, although indirectly.

People are on here saying "I'm been shafted / miss-sold / a monkey with a spreadsheet could do allocation" ... and they are going on ... and on ... about it. People who have been here a while are doing their best to say "This is Tesla, they don't do it that way". I suppose no great surprise that the messenger is in the firing line or ignored, or the message is not the one people want to hear.

One of the spectacular Tesla COMMs failures was their reissue of all orders with apparently a price increase (which actually turned out to be the Government Grant bit presented differently). Almost no one was interested to hear "Tesla will sort this out" and no one was believing "You'll get the lower price" ... but here we are, Tesla have done yet another own goal, reduced / changed prices and caused even more chaos, and as usually Support Staff no idea this was coming nor had any briefing (before the fact) on how to handle it ... but ... surprise surprise ... everyone is actually getting lower prices; just as has happened at each similar occasion in the past( try that with another Brand - the Dealer will pocket that for all existing orders). But still people are complaining that Allocation is not the same as they want, or are used to, or how other Brands do it, and the Delivery Date on the website is still "yesterday" (no argument from me that that is wrong ... but also no surprise to me that that cock-up exists)

My view on the way Tesla worked is completely different - it thinks that creating a buzz by delivering 200 cars on one day forgives all its sins. It never had any intention of fulfiling the June 'estimate' or was purely focused on USA deliveries to reach a new peak to boast about, it built the 5k required RHD cars but forgot to allocate a boat to bring them over to the UK.

It deliberately or otherwise chooses not to communicate the truth. I've cancelled 2 model 3 orders, it won't hear.

Reactions: WarpedOne and RjbT3
Those of us, like me, who are new to Tesla and new to this forum are, I think, shocked at how utterly inefficient Tesla's back office operation is. Those who have been familiar with Tesla for years seem to have been ground down into recognising it as normal and even almost acceptable.

@Artiste is completely correct here and your response actually confirms it...

I disagree with you ... I don't consider it acceptable or normal...surprising that newcomers keep saying that existing users say that it is acceptable ... I'm not aware of existing owners who do ...

... But for sure it is what it is ... has been like this for years ... Tesla [know] that it is bad ...

... owners ranted here continuously that it was unacceptable ... no argument from me ...
By all means complain to Tesla. I am confident you will be one of many, but hopefully adding to the weight causing management to do something about it. But unless there happens to be a fix coming imminently (and it hasn't appeared in the 3 years I have owned mine) then you've got two choices:

Put up with it
Go elsewhere

No other suggestion I can make.

Look at what you are actually saying, you are trying to seem like you appear to agree (that this is a complete chaos and unacceptable), yet you can't actually bring yourself to accept it. You argue for both points while always settling on the point that all customers (especially new ones) should just lump it or buy another car. Makes no sense.

You are a long-time current owner and an early adopter and have subsequently bought 3 more Tesla's (another one for you, one for your daughter and another for your parent(s)), I can only assume you are a big supporter of Tesla. However, your mantra, and that of some other existing owners on this forum of: "like it or lump it or go elsewhere", is actually counterproductive and unsupportive of Tesla and potential new owners.

What all businesses need, particularly new ones with a great product or service is customer feedback to help improvement. If Tesla is to succeed in selling 100s of 1000s of cars and therefore accelerating the adoption of EVs while pushing the competition to switch to full EVs, they need millions of potential customers who will only buy 1 car at a time, without much knowledge of the company. For that, they need to improve their buying experience. To say these customers should put-up, shut-up or go elsewhere is not helpful to anyone.

These forums, owner clubs etc. could be helpful in effecting a change, even if no one from Tesla actually reads any of it. If it acts as a discussion and comparison of collective experiences to prepare a knowledgeable customer complaint or direct feedback to Tesla that will help.

... it even causes resentment that someone ... lower down the queue has got ... a car sooner... I got an M3 in the first delivery batch and I am not a reservation holder. I have no idea why ...

... existing owner [which Tesla has always prioritised - the one thing about owners is that they expect to have to sit tight ...]

Do I see another contradiction? Of course you know why; an existing owner who ordered 3 more besides.

People are making crowd-sourcing spreadsheets of order data looking for some statistical analysis that will reveal some useful nuggets. I think that's a great effort ... and now Tesla have changed the model-lineup ... again ... to confuse the Data Mining :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no difficulty with this, but I'm not sure it adds any worthwhile data to the process,

I am not sure if this comment is also aimed at the sheet I am updating as there are other sheets with much larger data capture. However, this is not the purpose for the sheet I am updating. Many potential owners on this forum like to share their experience and what they have on order, while waiting for their car, swapping options and trying to keep up with price and spec changes. This sheet is purely to act as a repository for orders and specifications, reservation dates, order dates and delivery dates shared and discussed on these pages. I think it's quite helpful and cathartic amoungst the Tesla order chaos. TMC Forum UK Model 3 Order Summary Sheet

Last edited:
Erm, I think you'll find only a minuscule percentage of potential Tesla owners read this- or any - Tesla forum. I have a reservation for 3.5 years, and only seen this forum in the part few months. 99% of potential owners will have no clue about Tesla customer service. They will have seen the press, the reviews, the hype and will go on to the website and see August delivery - and place an order. In think it is our duty as Tesla supporters to correct the misinformation and prevent more disappointed customers.

I agree, so how do you propose we actually raise "public" awareness then? Start another thread on it perhaps? lol

You are a long-time current owner and an early adopter and have subsequently bought 3 more Tesla's (another one for you, one for your daughter and another for your parent(s)), I can only assume you are a big supporter of Tesla. However, your mantra, and that of some other existing owners on this forum of: "like it or lump it or go elsewhere", is actually counterproductive and unsupportive of Tesla and potential new owners.

Did those newbies really expect initial M3 delivery would be as smooth as silk given the 3 year hyped demand for this car and the fact that it's being produced by a relatively small US manufacturer? Some of these guys need to wake up to reality. It's going to be the same story for the initial release any low volume in-demand EV for a while. Look at the mess Audi are getting themselves into with the e-tron. Many thousands of reservations and a serious production bottleneck. How are they dealing with this at a customer level? Threatening to dish out large dealer fines for order cancellations! Polestar 2 will be the next big delay I'm sure with an order book soon stretching into years. All Tesla have done is get a bit carried away on initial delivery estimates and lowered the price significantly (now £10k less for a P+).

We really do live in a new age of "instant gratification" and it makes me so glad I don't work in a customer facing environment, lol!

Edit: And before anyone calls me a Tesla fanboy, I'm actually just a realist. Tesla has plenty of issues, but the overall experience is way better than with most other cars and their shady franchised dealers. The M3 delivery situation at the moment is fairly unique and far from the norm. People should at least accept that fact. People ordering an M3 in say 12 months time are likely to have a much smoother experience as there won't be an obvious bottleneck.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: RjbT3 and AMC7
Part of the problem is that Tesla makes promises that cannot be fulfilled and this leads to huge frustration. As a very basic example, it's now 20th July and Tesla are still promising August as expected delivery for a car ordered today. People on this forum say there's no chance of that, though I don't know where they get their info from. If there really is no chance of an August delivery then it shouldn't be on the website as it is completely misleading. No ifs or buts and no excuses.

Tesla have had a pretty firm idea since 1st May of the spec of a significant/majority of orders. First set of delivery possibly had been manufactured by that point, but I don't believe what is currently scheduled for August and beyond had been. So Tesla had been in position to build pretty much to order since first deliveries. The vin matching process vs orders should then have correlated pretty closely.

I don't know how long a production run is for a particular spec of car is, but I get the impression they build lots of one spec, then lots of another. So contrary to what some may argue, not very agile. I'm pretty sure some vehicle manufacturers can and do build consecutive cars on production lines to different spec.

So based upon what I believe is a limitation, I still do not believe that this accounts for the bias to certain specs that we appear to be seeing in next delivery schedule - aka vins allocated in source. Maybe the only bloke trained to fit tow bars was away the week that RHD's were manufactured and so we missed the boat on that one - he had probably gone off to source another batch of 19" wheels ;)

This I believe Tesla are totally in control of. I think they are possibly relying too much on what they think is the demand, rather than what the orders say is the demand.

Part of the problem is that Tesla makes promises that cannot be fulfilled and this leads to huge frustration. As a very basic example, it's now 20th July and Tesla are still promising August as expected delivery for a car ordered today. People on this forum say there's no chance of that, though I don't know where they get their info from. If there really is no chance of an August delivery then it shouldn't be on the website as it is completely misleading. No ifs or buts and no excuses.

A website delivery "estimate" does not equal a "promise" in my book. Clearly it would be very unlikely that you would get an August delivery if you ordered today, but not impossible. Tesla might be better to not bother at all with delivery estimates on their website - like some others have chosen to do with their low volume EVs.

• Disagree
Reactions: LEE3 and WarpedOne
Tesla have had a pretty firm idea since 1st May of the spec of a significant/majority of orders.

Maybe, but there has been so much flexibility in allowing spec changes and with the price/spec juggling many people have now modified their original order multiple times. I'm actually back to the exact spec I originally ordered, but have changed it at least 3 times in between due to pricing/spec limitations. People have been hopping to and fro from LR AWD to P- and P+ to get the best deal and now we have free white thrown into the mix. So I expect their order book is in a mess right now.

• Disagree
A website delivery "estimate" does not equal a "promise" in my book. .

I was very careful to say "expected delivery for a car ordered today". If there is no real expectation of August delivery then it shouldn't be on the website. End of.

Clearly it would be very unlikely that you would get an August delivery if you ordered today, but not impossible. QUOTE]

The fact is no one knows. The vast majority of posts on threads such as this are mere speculation with no hard facts. Enjoyable, even interesting, but ultimately completely useless. Does anyone have even a vague idea of how many RHD M3s have been produced and are ready for shipping? Does anyone actually know how many vehicle carriers will arrive in Zeebrugge in August?

Reactions: RjbT3 and goRt
I was very careful to say "expected delivery for a car ordered today". If there is no real expectation of August delivery then it shouldn't be on the website. End of.

But the website just says "Estimated Delivery: August". I don't see any promises or expected promises, lol
It might well be unrealistic, but it's definitely not any sort of a promise. I agree it raises some level of expectation and will lead to disappointment and first world problem threads like this.

• Disagree