Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery NIGHTMARE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread, and many like it, always remind me of the 'Innovator's Dilemma, ' a book about the life cycle of new product release and the markets reaction to them. I will butcher this reference but if you are an 'Early Adopter' you welcome a new innovation for what amazing new functionality it brings even though it has shortcomings in other areas - some of which are done better by existing products.

The early Tesla buyers were definately part of this camp and would put up with a number of issues gladly for what they got from the Tesla in other areas.

When I see references to why can't Tesla be as good as GM or MB, these are not early or even late early adopters. They really are not comfortable relying on the amazing part of a product vs the places it comes up short.

Sorry for the ramble but as someone who is in his own, tiny, 1st world, delivery nightmare, I have often reminded myself that I want the S for a reason and, in my case, chose it over a Panamera even though a new car company may not deliver the same experience - at every level.

Early adopter - late majority: different expectations and triggers.

You need to do your own due diligence, do not go by what I am saying as a majority of one. :). We were delivered a not so good car. Our experience ;(. The other people taking their cars were in and out in less than 30 minutes, not us. We looked at the other cars that were being delivered and they DID NOT have the same mis alignment issues that ours did. Luck of the draw......
Good to hear, sorry your car was the odd one in group. Scheduled to pickup my 75 12/12, your pic and post tells me what to look for, thx

Reactions: TK16688 and Olds442
When I see references to why can't Tesla be as good as GM or MB

You only have problems with the cars you are exposed to.

Previous GM Saturn purchased new had a failed motor mount before 40k miles, a misfire due to bad plugs from a dealership tune up, and needed the intake manifold gasket replaced at 100k.

Previous Cobalt purchased new had a leak in the evaporator that failed the first summer. Also had recall on electric steering assist.

On our 3 current GM vehicles:
Two had failed transmissions around 110k miles
One is FlexFuel that, each winter, thinks it has ethanol in the tank and gets harder and harder to start (until you give it a tank of E85 to make the computer happy)
2002 truck (about 175k miles) that the brake lines blew out on (common problem with a few model years where lesser lines were used), also has had fuel injector, fuel pump, u-joints, and alternator replaced.
2004 Rendezvous with 136k: AWD that died due to rear differential valve failure (about $300 for valve and $100 for fluid) Cruise control no longer works. Reverse lights sometimes stay on in drive. May or may not unlock doors when you shift to park. Chrome flaked on inner door handle and cut hands. Rear knuckle bushings failed.
And lots of wheel hubs.
Other son's GM vehicle has a broken driver's door latch and shattered intake manifold.

So I hope, if/when I get a Tesla, it's better than GM...

Not that GM is exclusive to having problems: Previous Ford truck had recall on the fuel tank straps. Then critters ate through the plastic fuel lines. Then the transmission line rusted through.

Coworkers have/had: Mitsubishi Evo with transmission shaft problem, Outback that dropped its exhaust valve seat, Neon with failed fuel pump, and a Mazda RX that needed engine replaced under warranty. Another had a GM that the oiling system failed on.

Cousin had a lease Jeep fail due to engine design (but they had to pay for replacement).

Reactions: Gt1948
Good to hear, sorry your car was the odd one in group. Scheduled to pickup my 75 12/12, your pic and post tells me what to look for, thx
Good luck with your delivery. There are check lists you can use to when taking delivery. I did not have one with me actually but I just knew to go over the car carefully. So we did. It was unfortunate to see things wrong in the first 5 seconds. Heartbreaker. Hope to get a resolution perhaps tomorrow. We will see.

@allset
First off, let me add to this by saying I am taking delivery of my car in 3 days. I feel for you in your situation and I hope that I won't be posting a similar thread as yours after I take (or don't take) delivery.

You are right to be concerned (not "upset" as you seem, that's too harsh and not warranted IMHO). There are some clear items that need adjusting and fixing before you take delivery. You called Tesla on them, and I think you did the right thing. Make it right Tesla!

But the one thing I don't understand, and you stated it multiple times, is the fact that you 'expected' a perfect car. Only once in my life have I ever seen a perfect car at delivery. Additionally, you seem to think that the car should be perfect because it cost you $85k, as you commented a few times. Does that figure imply perfection? Have you ever bought and sold a $100k airplane, or a $500k home or condo? I've dealt with Brand New $800,000 private aircraft that have needed weeks of work prior to them being ready for the buyers.

All I'm saying is that you should give Tesla a chance to sort it out. Your concerns are valid, however I think you are going to be disappointed in life if you are the kind of person that expects perfection when you get into high-cost items.

Keep us posted on what happens, and I hope your faith in the company is restored. I also hope that I won't be eating crow after my delivery in three days.

~Buster

the last thing anyone wants to read is the list of things wrong with the house i spent too much money on. o_O

i'm very sorry to hear about your issues with your new tesla. this thread is going to be very helpful for a lot of people, myself included. i'm still keeping the faith that it will be worked out and you will end up as happy as the rest of these guys.

or maybe they just have happier dispositions because the batteries under their butts are re-aligning their chakras while they drive. the jury is still out on that, but theories abound.

good luck and the highest hopes for your Monday reply! :)

• Funny
Reactions: TK16688
Anything designed, engineered and built by humans, for the most part, is not perfect. There are always going to be imperfections. Humans are not perfect, and often make mistakes. We all do. Expecting perfection in life from our fellow man is a recipe for constant disappointment.

While not excusing these mistakes in the build of your Tesla, they are easily corrected. Very easily corrected. Expecting a replacement new car to be built because someone didn’t do their job is only going to lead to delays in getting your new car delivered, and further frustration because of it. Besides, for these minor issues that simply isn’t going to happen anyhow and is unrealistic...

No car ever built is without imperfections. That’s why there are recalls to fix the imperfect.

Anyone who believes the car they have is perfect, regardless of brand, would be shocked to have an expert with a more critical eye and experience point out its imperfections.

Give the service center a chance to correct these issues and enjoy your new Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canuck and Buster1
Anything designed, engineered and built by humans, for the most part, is not perfect. There are always going to be imperfections. Humans are not perfect, and often make mistakes. We all do. Expecting perfection in life from our fellow man is a recipe for constant disappointment.

While not excusing these mistakes in the build of your Tesla, they are easily corrected. Very easily corrected. Expecting a replacement new car to be built because someone didn’t do their job is only going to lead to delays in getting your new car delivered, and further frustration because of it. Besides, for these minor issues that simply isn’t going to happen anyhow and is unrealistic...

No car ever built is without imperfections. That’s why there are recalls to fix the imperfect.

Anyone who believes the car they have is perfect, regardless of brand, would be shocked to have an expert with a more critical eye and experience point out its imperfections.

Give the service center a chance to correct these issues and enjoy your new Tesla.

I completely understand that cars are not made perfectly.

The brand new Tesla presented to us had multiple issues, more than just fit and trim. We were willing to purchase the car even with these items so misaligned and not properly functioning(doors). I even wrote them the check for purchase and they processed paperwork.

Then we went into the interior for our review with delivery and the driver's seat would not move forward or backwards. It was stuck. The delivery staff asked us if we "still wanted to take the car today"? Hmmmmmmmm.

How can we drive the car when we cannot even move the seat to a position so my husband can be nearer to the steering wheel and utilize the brake if needed? Super unsafe suggestion by Tesla staff. Never should have been suggested.

I would have thought the employees would have the training to then make a recommendation to the customer, " This is a quick fix (although service cannot do this today), we will give you a service loaner and please come back on Monday to pick up your new Tesla". We might have just done that, but that was never offered.

We declined the car, took our check back and left. We were told they will contact us on Monday.

We are giving this deal a second chance after much discussion. I am hoping for a better outcome second time around. We are going to give Tesla every opportunity to right this wrong. I will update this thread hopefully with super great news, fingers crossed still.

Then we went into the interior for our review with delivery and the driver's seat would not move forward or backwards. It was stuck. The delivery staff asked us if we "still wanted to take the car today"? Hmmmmmmmm.

How can we drive the car when we cannot even move the seat to a position so my husband can be nearer to the steering wheel and utilize the brake if needed? Super unsafe suggestion by Tesla staff. Never should have been suggested.

So the assumption made was that the person knew the seat was in a position that would preclude your husband from driving safely? Because if it were safe to drive, and it was me, and I suspect others here, I would have taken the car and had the service scheduled. They asked if you wanted to take the car, and you said no. That’s fine. That your prerogative and a prudent decision. Doesn’t sound like some big conspiracy to force you into taking it that day...

They didn’t offer a loaner; Did you express your concerns about taking the car with the seat issue and ask for a loaner?

I’m curious as to your purchase and intent to use Auto Pilot?

I picked up a Inventory MS75 last week. In fact, I took delivery at the Costa Mesa Facility. Everything went very well. I looked over the car very carefully and could not find any anomalies. I was very happy with the QC, fit and finish. I am very sorry to here about your poor experience. My recommendation is to keep the car and have them fix the anomalies. I absolutely love my car. I cannot drive my 2015 BMW M3 anymore. The technology in the Tesla is a real game changer! Puts my BMW M3 to shame. My only small regret was not getting the 100D or P100D.

For all of the people who said these are only minor issues and so on and so on, put yourself in her shoes and see what you think.

Seriously? Okay, I will. Now I said how disappointed I would be if the seat didn't work when I picked up my Tesla 4 years ago. I wouldn't have noticed his alignment issues since things like that don't bother me but I did notice them later on and service fixed them. "Disappointment" is a state of mind that we can change. You act like Tesla is doing what VW did and committed fraud to poison us even more so. 10 years ago every expert said it was impossible to create a new US car company. Yet, Tesla has not only done that but exceeded all expectations. Still, that's not good enough for your or the OP. I sure hope you don't demand the same level of perfection from your kids or you will really screw them up.

Last edited:
Someone who bought an economy car should not have alignment and seat issues.
Exactly! The trunk alignment issues and issues w/seals wouldn't be acceptable on a new Civic or Corolla.

And, an inoperative power seat wouldn't be acceptable on a new Camry or Accord either.

I can't speak to BMW or Mercedes initial defects and quality, but (cheaper) Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Acura generally have both good long term reliability and good fit and finish at delivery time. Some defects might be corrected by the dealer as part of a PDI before it's made saleable to the customer.

I don't think it's too much to ask that an automaker that's selling $75K+ cars has at least as good fit and finish as Japanese econoboxes which sell for a fraction of that.

I would like to retract the statement above where I said that the delivery staff said "I don't see what you mean". They never said that. What they did do was not say anything. I assumed they did not see what we were showing them as defective (not the same thing) in their defense.

Please know that these items are NOT major deal breakers however not what one would expect in an 85K car.

Here are photos of the passenger front door where the mirror is close to the front panel. Top photo is Passenger side, bottom photos is drivers side. More to come
Where are those guys on the Tesla Factory videos who are literally "white gloving" the finish after the car comes thru the paint/clear coat process?

I am due to take delivery of a new 2017 MS any day now; should I be scared? What is the denominator of "Zero Issue Deliveries"?

Reactions: Gt1948