Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery times of Tesla Model-Y (June-July orders)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got assigned my VIN it would appear. Was really hoping there'd be resolution on possible tax incentives. I may roll the dice here and request to go on hold until Jan 1 timeframe. I'd just hate to get the car then find out if I waited just a little longer I could have gotten $8k back. I e-mailed my SA asking what the process would be to go on hold or not get a delivery until the fate of the tax incentives was known.

At this point though if I can't delay things I'm considering delivery. The car price has gone up $5k since I put in my order back in July. Though I am not comfortable with taking delivery and possibly missing USB ports for a while.

Anyone else done something similar on delaying?

Last edited:
Reactions: BGOwner
Got assigned my VIN it would appear. Was really hoping there'd be resolution on possible tax incentives. I may roll the dice here and request to go on hold until Jan 1 timeframe. I'd just hate to get the car then find out if I waited just a little longer I could have gotten $8k back. I e-mailed my SA asking what the process would be to go on hold or not get a delivery until the fate of the tax incentives was known.

At this point though if I can't delay things I'm considering delivery. The car price has gone up $5k since I put in my order back in July. Though I am not comfortable with taking delivery and possibly missing USB ports for a while.

Please report back what you learn! I agree I think it's foolish for anyone to take a car before there is clarity. Even a 10% chance of the bill passing is worth $800 bucks until we know definitively one way or the other. I'm going to get a VIN any day now and will be following what you learn.

Reactions: Tycanflyy
My EDD changed to a 14 days window ( 11/17 - 12/1).

I talked to a SA today and asked him I want to delay my EDD to Jan. 2022. It called my attention that he wrote a note saying I'm not able to take delivery until Jan 2022. My acct doesn't show it is on Hold.

Am I ok??? Or should I make sure my acct is on hold ??

Is there an additional non-refundable payment due before delivery ?
That is my vague memory of how it worked in 2018, perhaps related to VIN assignment

I'm trying to decide how to play my current September order since I may want to change it if a higher range Model Y is offered around the same time. I don't mind losing $250 to change my mind but e.g. $1,250 would hurt. I realize that an order change to a different model would not cost me the non-refundable $250; I am considering the worse case where I cancel my current order and then order a different model.

I suppose I could take delivery of the current order, flip it after paying sales tax, and then order a different model but that kind of speculation is usually not my cup of tea.
No. No more payments until you take delivery. We brought a paper chashier's check for the full amount at pick up.

You can do all the tasks up to insurance with no more obligation.

Best to say you will be paying cash, so you don't have to mess with expiring loan approvals. Call Tesla and switch to loan after you get a VIN, if you need to.

Do not call your SA. Go visit the shop and speak to them directly. They've got too many people banging on their phones.

In my case, I got assigned a VIN last week, was receiving urgent texts and VMs demanding payment and confirmation of delivery just 2 days away.
All that despite a 12/1 HOLD still in effect.
I went over to personally visit the SA, we extended the HOLD to 12/31. Best he could do at that moment. They want to push the cars out.
I will NOT accept delivery until the Tax Rebate legislation gets clarified. If forced, I might flip the car for a minor profit.

The good news in all of this is that the SA and staff at the local Center were cool. They get it. I relied on them to adjust things accordingly and they did.

Last edited:
Do not call your SA. Go visit the shop and speak to them directly. They've got too many people banging on their phones.

In my case, I got assigned a VIN last week, was receiving urgent texts and VMs demanding payment and confirmation of delivery just 2 days away.
All that despite a 12/1 HOLD still in effect.
I went over to personally visit the SA, we extended the HOLD to 12/31. Best he could do at that moment. They want to push the cars out.
I will NOT accept delivery until the Tax Rebate legislation gets clarified. If forced, I might flip the car for a minor profit.

The good news in all of this is that the SA and staff at the local Center were cool. They get it. I relied on them to adjust things accordingly and they did.
If they were closer I'd do that but I live 90 minutes away from the service center on a good traffic day. Seems like my SA is on vacation.

Interestingly enough Tesla hasn't emailed or notified me of my VIN being issue. I see it on my account page as it asks me to approve the Tesla vision stuff. I'm leaving it like that until I get a hold of the service center.

Hey guys please help - I now have a "accept Tesla Vision" prompt on my account. Does this mean I have a VIN? I can't see it and I can't see my EDD because I haven't clicked accept yet.

I don't want to take delivery until Jan 1. What happens if I delay clicking accept? How long will I have before they cancel my order or something? I have the $48,990 price locked in so I want to be extremely cautious not to lose it.

If they were closer I'd do that but I live 90 minutes away from the service center on a good traffic day. Seems like my SA is on vacation.

Interestingly enough Tesla hasn't emailed or notified me of my VIN being issue. I see it on my account page as it asks me to approve the Tesla vision stuff. I'm leaving it like that until I get a hold of the service center.
Sorry to hear that.
I hope you get accommodated.
I think my SA (whom I like) might have pushed the envelope a little for me. But like I said, my Center personnel were cool about the issues.

Hey guys please help - I now have a "accept Tesla Vision" prompt on my account. Does this mean I have a VIN? I can't see it and I can't see my EDD because I haven't clicked accept yet.

I don't want to take delivery until Jan 1. What happens if I delay clicking accept? How long will I have before they cancel my order or something? I have the $48,990 price locked in so I want to be extremely cautious not to lose it.
Again my best advice is go see your SA. Don't just call.
Your issue is like mine, waiting for Tax Rebate clarification. (and sitting on a lower purchase price)
My SA was cool about the issue. He got my Hold pushed out to 12/31.

Sorry to hear that.
I hope you get accommodated.
I think my SA (whom I like) might have pushed the envelope a little for me. But like I said, my Center personnel were cool about the issues.
Thanks. My SA I have communicated with before and he indicated going on hold until 2022 shouldn’t be a problem. I just happened to get updates while he was on vacation. Poor timing for me haha.