Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Today with 8 Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some pictures from my paint issues... Minor compared to others I've seen, but still concerning - especially since it seems the paint is really soft. This is White on White Performance with PUP. VIN 36XX.

IMG_0767.jpegIMG_0770.jpegIMG_0772.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 122
Here are some pictures from my paint issues... Minor compared to others I've seen, but still concerning - especially since it seems the paint is really soft. This is White on White Performance with PUP. VIN 36XX.

View attachment 546147View attachment 546148View attachment 546149
Congrats on the delivery. Start the documentation process with delivery team so you can get it fixed. Don't forget two photos each, one closeup and one 3ft away. I used 3D paint on Windows 10 for the red boxes for the details.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I'm very hesitant now about going through with the purchase with reading about so many people having issues with their brand new car and then having to leave it in the shop for days and weeks. Also taking into consideration that now I'm WFH and not needing to commute to work. Maybe I'll just delay it.

Just be very, very critical when the car is delivered. Don't accept it when anything looks wrong or scratchy, or return it gif you find out short after delivery. The majority of deliveries will be fine. But if your delivery is in the scratched minority act on it and don't accept is.

Reactions: teko
Just be very, very critical when the car is delivered. Don't accept it when anything looks wrong or scratchy, or return it gif you find out short after delivery. The majority of deliveries will be fine. But if your delivery is in the scratched minority act on it and don't accept is.
Disappointing,,, I wonder how depends on ur local Tesla dealer too,,, in Md our location is equipped for body damage repairs,,, I can’t image a location like that would release a car in that state !!

If you get a scratchy delivery, just don't accept it and demand that you get next in line for a non scratch car. Don't accept any bs.
In principle I and I'm sure many here agree with you.. but by what we're seeing regarding paint and build issues.. you may be rejecting car after car till you get one that's decent. Again, in principle that's the right thing to do... but who has the time to do that? For me, each visit to the SC means taking a day off work.

Maybe more effective would be to demand an instant refund of money you put down and tell them you want to rethink the whole purchase if that's the kind of quality you can expect from Tesla. Hurt them in the wallet... they will notice that!

I see some people pinning blame on the transport company, and while a small portion of issues may be on them... the lion's share is on the assembly line and paint factory. Even Sand Monroe called out the Fremont paint factory in his MY Q&A video for poor work caused by "a dirty paint shop".

Last edited:
Yes, in similar line of action, we have been unable to get resolution for our paint issue, which they blame on "external factors" (road salt)... the car paint began "debonding" and rocker panels started rusting with only a couple months of ownership. It seems they are taking a "hard line" on the water based paint issue. We are pursuing arbitration. Winter driving is normal use. Indeed salt hurts all cars eventually.. but the first couple months? that's just poor quality. View attachment 545949

wow that is horrible. My car is 9 years old and I live in an area with harsh winters and lots of road salt and my paint still looks fine. Stories like this keep me from pulling the trigger on purchasing a Tesla at this time.

Reactions: raggedy and NY_Rob
On the gap issues only three were worth noting:
  • Right tail light not installed properly at delivery.
  • Right rear door misalignment.
  • Hood not aligned with bumper.

Various paint defects at delivery including:
  • Near front driver and passenger hinges on body
  • Around driver door striker plate
  • Front of R rear door & body beneath that
  • Trailing edge of R front door
  • Back of R and L rear tire well on bumper
  • Below L tail light on bumper.
This is my 8th Tesla delivery over the years. Inclusive of this delivery, 5 needed bodywork. This by far had the worst paint defects.

Anyone who thinks Tesla is figuring out their delivery fit and finish is just wrong.

View attachment 545768 View attachment 545769 View attachment 545770 View attachment 545771 View attachment 545772 View attachment 545773 View attachment 545774 View attachment 545775 View attachment 545776 View attachment 545777

WOW! I would not be pleased. Let us know if they fix them all.

I find this situation just disgustingly pathetic that Tesla is turning cars out in this condition. I traded a Porsche Cayman for the used 2018 M3 long range I'm driving and I love the technology but this lack of QC is just unacceptable. You can look at any BMW, Mercedes-Benz or probably a Buick for that matter and find better looking work in the door jambs and under the hood than this. Unless Tesla really makes some major QC improvements going forward I can't see myself ever buying one of their new cars.

Update. I emailed my delivery person saying I was returning the car. There is no longer a customer service email for Tesla so I uploaded the same message into the owners portal.

Someone from Tesla called just a few minutes later, the nice-nasty type with a nice tone and nasty message. They say if I return the car, they will ban me from buying one for a year. Said that was on the return form. I could buy a different model, but I would never get a replacement in the same configuration or my old pricing.

I went to the delivery center with the car and asked for something documenting all the issues, a due bill. They reiterated that I had 72 hours to note paint issues so documenting that was important as we approached that deadline. I was told they can take photos and put that into the system. I asked how would I know they did it correctly. The Ops Manager promised to text me confirmation of the problems. She did send a summary text, but not the specifics so I have no real way of knowing of what was actually entered.

I left them the car and keys and took a cancellation form. They are going to talk with service to see what they will fix and get back to me Monday.

C8014D95-BF11-45D1-B04C-4B589812B7D2.png

Reactions: raggedy
Someone from Tesla called just a few minutes later, the nice-nasty type with a nice tone and nasty message. They say if I return the car, they will ban me from buying one for a year. Said that was on the return form. I could buy a different model, but I would never get a replacement in the same configuration or my old pricing.

That wasn't surprise was it? That is why you don't take delivery unless you are happy with the car or are sure they will fix whatever you are concerned about.

That wasn't surprise was it? That is why you don't take delivery unless you are happy with the car or are sure they will fix whatever you are concerned about.

How exactly does someone get "sure they will fix whatever you are concerned about"? They will provide no written documentation of anything. I have done several deliveries from the Denver service center and only was able to get written documentation once in 5 deliveries with issues.

How exactly does someone get "sure they will fix whatever you are concerned about"? They will provide no written documentation of anything. I have done several deliveries from the Denver service center and only was able to get written documentation once in 5 deliveries with issues.
I had them email me listing all the issues that will be on due bill. I sat with them reviewing the email and made sure I received it before leaving the delivery center. I was very professional about it and they understood. I would return if there was no way to trace back proof if all the issues was documented. Not going to take their word for it. I don't think text messages will be good enough. They did it for me from the San Diego delivery center, why couldn't they do it where you are at? What are they afraid of? They should be doing their best for you to be comfortable with keeping the car to get it repaired past the 7 days return policy.

Reactions: navguy12