Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Model Y not as advertised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with my SA who spoke with his manager and both agreed the car should not have had the additional 200 plus miles above the advertised original 565 miles nor be in the state of uncleanliness in which it was received.They did mention in their response if the car is driven from a demo site to the hub for transport there may be some additional mileage above the original. They are going to compensate me for these issues with a small dollar amount credit. And I didn’t receive the car from them originally... because as you all mentioned, end of quarter push so they send you to a generic pick up site (abandoned parking garage) or worse schedule delivery drop off in your driveway when you are not home and sign you off as accepted delivery. I did try to refuse delivery at first and have the issues addressed at the moment of pick up but when you are in a sketchy abandoned parking garage, there is really no option... luckily my SA is working with me to try and remedy the situation and the whole experience. I did ask before agreeing to the demo regarding its quality, who had driven it before and how many miles as well as warranty issues and service issues.
And yes, I will think twice next time about taking a demo although I have heard horror stories both ways- demo or new , with service issues or the car not being pristine.

I spoke with my SA who spoke with his manager and both agreed the car should not have had the additional 200 plus miles above the advertised original 565 miles nor be in the state of uncleanliness in which it was received.They did mention in their response if the car is driven from a demo site to the hub for transport there may be some additional mileage above the original. They are going to compensate me for these issues with a small dollar amount credit. And I didn’t receive the car from them originally... because as you all mentioned, end of quarter push so they send you to a generic pick up site (abandoned parking garage) or worse schedule delivery drop off in your driveway when you are not home and sign you off as accepted delivery. I did try to refuse delivery at first and have the issues addressed at the moment of pick up but when you are in a sketchy abandoned parking garage, there is really no option... luckily my SA is working with me to try and remedy the situation and the whole experience. I did ask before agreeing to the demo regarding its quality, who had driven it before and how many miles as well as warranty issues and service issues.
And yes, I will think twice next time about taking a demo although I have heard horror stories both ways- demo or new , with service issues or the car not being pristine.
That actually sounds like the best case scenario for this one. Hopefully you get something more than the $. Maybe some Superchargers miles or accessories

Reactions: cancoi
My new MY had a sticker on the inside of the roof glass that was partially pulled off as well. I noticed it once I went in to get it tinted. They cleaned it off in a couple of seconds before tinting. The plastic on the tow hitch is just a cover. It's supposed to hide the hitch when you're not towing.

not cleaned ( sticky soda residue over the interior), pet hair all over the trunk and the back seat mats, sticky residue along the front of the bumper...
Plus there was a big white sticker on the roof that was only partially removed and it doesn't look like they were able to scrape it off.
Not to mention to my dismay that after I drove it home 10 miles from the pickup site to discover it had almost 200 plus more miles than what I had agreed upon when buying it ( and the discount they gave me originally was less than 200 dollars off for 500 plus miles originally).

Hope I don't come off as mean (I'm really not trying to be), but this car doesn't sound that bad at all with what you just listed. It is in fact, a used car, and a demo model, with several hundred miles. In the grand scheme of things, you were able to get your hands on a Model Y, and those are hard to come by these days even with continuously rising prices of $500.00 per week. I don't even want to think about how much they will cost by the end of July, or whatever the delivery dates are for the next batch.

For the sticky exterior, try using WD-40 or goo gone. I had some of that stuff on mine and it cleaned up pretty easily. Sticky soda? I'd use Forex or Meguiar's interior cleaner. Forex for the carpeting if that's where the sticky stuff is. I ran a Bissell over the carpets on mine and pulled up a lot of black grime. Dog hair? Time to get the hoover and go to town!

A little more miles than you thought? Ok well, a few hundred miles over what may be a lifetime of several hundred thousand is not a lot at all. I took one over at 5,000 miles, and had some little things here and there (used cars are used cars after all) but I fixed it all up and it looks and runs great.

So while most people are saying there isn't any recourse for you at this time (and there probably isn't since you took the car) I'd look at seeing what you can do about the issues and try to make the best out of what many here see as a great car.

Not the end of the world!

You should have left the car in the abandoned parking garage and went home. Until you accept delivery it is not your car. They dropped my MYP off in my driveway after trucking it 250 miles from the delivery center to my front door... if it had been trashed, or had 200 more mile on it than stated I would have told them to send the truck back to pick up their car. Luckily, my car arrived in perfect condition and I absolutely love it... but if it had been sub-par it would have sat in the driveway while they scrambled to make things right. I hope things work out for you, but you have to remember that you have ALL the power until you sign on the dotted line... after you sign things are much more difficult.

Keith

You should have left the car in the abandoned parking garage and went home. Until you accept delivery it is not your car. They dropped my MYP off in my driveway after trucking it 250 miles from the delivery center to my front door... if it had been trashed, or had 200 more mile on it than stated I would have told them to send the truck back to pick up their car. Luckily, my car arrived in perfect condition and I absolutely love it... but if it had been sub-par it would have sat in the driveway while they scrambled to make things right. I hope things work out for you, but you have to remember that you have ALL the power until you sign on the dotted line... after you sign things are much more difficult.

Keith

It's pretty different here (Cali). Tesla basically makes you sign over the car to your name and THEN the car unlocks. It's kinda trash since you can't inspect the inside, only the outside. Once you unlock the car then it's off the the service center to get everything fixed.

Actually I think this is how it is currently working in all locations. Tesla requires you to sign all documents before you can unlock your vehicle which basically makes it yours.

Last edited:
It's pretty different here (Cali). Tesla basically makes you sign over the car to your name and THEN the car unlocks. It's kinda trash since you can't inspect the inside, only the outside. Once you unlock the car then it's off the the service center to get everything fixed.

Actually I think this is how it is currently working in all locations. Tesla requires you to sign all documents before you can unlock your vehicle which basically makes it yours.
Nope. They gave me my paperwork inside the building then said to go inside the car and sign everything. Car was (obviously) unlocked. So I inspected it, inside and out, before signing anything and giving them my bank check. But I'm beginning to think that this particular location (Lawrenceville, NJ) is better than most, at least from the pre-sales and delivery perspective.

I suggested that as that's what happened to me but others pointed out that was not the case for them even in CA. I guess they got there before the reps put the documents and keycards in the car, so basically the office has to open the car anyways, so they got to look at it before. There was also someone that didn't pay ahead yet and insisted seeing the inside of the car before signing for delivery, and they opened the car for him.

This obviously won't happened with a drop off delivery, as there may not be anyone there to open the door for you (you would have to look from outside). That's part of why I insisted on taking delivery at a delivery center myself and not on the street, as it's much harder to reject a car (and no one is there to address things that may be able to be fixed on the spot).

Hi all-

I recently purchased a 2021 Model Y but my SA asked on the way out the door if I would be willing to accept a demo model with all the specs I wanted if I could get it sooner than the 3 month waiting period. I said sure expecting it to be a demo model with a couple 100 miles on it from reading the forums. However, the car was a disaster... not cleaned ( sticky soda residue over the interior), pet hair all over the trunk and the back seat mats, sticky residue along the front of the bumper... and the tow hitch was not visible, but I was told I can pry off the plastic at home with a tool that they didn't have to get access to it. Plus there was a big white sticker on the roof that was only partially removed and it doesn't look like they were able to scrape it off. Not to mention to my dismay that after I drove it home 10 miles from the pickup site to discover it had almost 200 plus more miles than what I had agreed upon when buying it ( and the discount they gave me originally was less than 200 dollars off for 500 plus miles originally). I definitely feel I was duped. Do I have any recourse? They would not allow me to not accept delivery, so I am quite frustrated. Anyone else have this experience? I refuse to drive the car out of my garage until I get all of these issues resolved, since with close to 1000 miles on it, I paid almost full sticker price for a new car and instead got a very well used car.
Why didn’t you check the odometer and do a thorough inspection before you drove it home? Tesla could have been more forward about the status of the car for sure, but then again you also should have been more vigilant. If you spent a few minutes and patiently went over the car you might have discovered all that was wrong and never had taken the demo. You made a mistake unfortunately.