Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deposit refund waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B

banned-66611

Cancelled my deposit with Tesla due to the high price of the Model 3. Waiting for a refund.

Cancelled via web contact form (don't have an account on their site) 01/05/2019. Will update when refund comes.

Who else is waiting?

• Disagree
Reactions: UKM3 and culverwood
You could not have placed a deposit without an account having been created online either by you, or the store that processed your reservation.

Thanks, I din't realize it created an account when I paid. I had to reset my password by eventually got in and submitted the cancellation.

Everyone to their own but can't think what price you were hoping for - it's exactly in line with where it could reasonably be expected to be.

Well back when it was announced 3 years ago the $35k minus the PICG came out at about £26k. That was the figure in the headlines.

I know some people were looking at around £33k because that's what Musk promised in a Tweet in 2016.

So when it comes out at over 40k with for the basic black version... Obviously they are going to be a bit miffed.

Well back when it was announced 3 years ago the $35k minus the PICG came out at about £26k. That was the figure in the headlines.

I know some people were looking at around £33k because that's what Musk promised in a Tweet in 2016.

So when it comes out at over 40k with for the basic black version... Obviously they are going to be a bit miffed.

Indeed I cancelled a while back because I thought this might happen.

It was always said the base price would be $35k. At the time, this would have been around £30k inc VAT. To be 1/3 higher is a bit of a sting.

Also my deposit for forgotten about, after a month of not getting it back, I phoned them and then sent an email with my details and the deposit was refunded within a few days.

Reactions: 1 person

1. The models released are not the basic version
2. It is £38,900 for the lowest priced SR+ model

The base version would translate to iro 35K GBP which with current exchange rates is precisely what is to be expected.
Expectations of 25K GBP were always going to be unrealistic,
Sorry if you are diappointed though.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Sorry if you are diappointed though.

Indeed. I would like everyone that wants to to be driving EV affordably PDQ ...

The government is talking about bringing forward Zero Carbon date ... that can only bode well, they will have to put their hand in their pocket (as Norway has done) to make that happen.

Stating the blinking obvious but battery price has to fall ... and for that to happen there also has a to be a glut, currently everyone is struggling to get enough batteries - Tesla included even though they make their own. Billions and more Billions have to be spent on Battery Factories etc ...

So there is hope that for later-comers things will be far more rosy - both on Price and also on Charging Infrastructure

Reactions: Lokolo
Indeed. I would like everyone that wants to to be driving EV affordably PDQ ...

The government is talking about bringing forward Zero Carbon date ... that can only bode well, they will have to put their hand in their pocket (as Norway has done) to make that happen.

Stating the blinking obvious but battery price has to fall ... and for that to happen there also has a to be a glut, currently everyone is struggling to get enough batteries - Tesla included even though they make their own. Billions and more Billions have to be spent on Battery Factories etc ...

So there is hope that for later-comers things will be far more rosy - both on Price and also on Charging Infrastructure

Yes as much as people say they are affordable, they are still very expensive. I have never bought new and was hoping Model3 was going to be my first new car purchase. Unfortunately the interior put me off.

People forget about insurance as well. Quotes are coming in at £2k+ on the Facebook group.

My current dirty diesel car cost me £8k (4 years old), costs me £60 in petrol a month (I only do 6k miles a year), £20 in tax a year, £400 a year on insurance, and so far maintenance and MOTs have cost me around £700 in the 2 years of ownership (that includes 4 new tyres around £300). It's difficult to justify purchasing something for £40k+.

Stating the blinking obvious but battery price has to fall ...

That's one of the major reasons why the Model 3 is so expensive is that they can't get the battery cost down. Panasonic has actually given up and decided not to invest further in the gigafactory or in the new one in China.

The problem seems to be their insistence on using cylindrical cells. Other manufacturers are using pouch cells, similar to the kind used in mobile phones. They are cheaper, higher density and the only real disadvantage is that the maximum charge/discharge rate is a bit lower, but still more than enough for anything less than very high performance cars.

The other issue is that they insist on fitting all the expensive Autopilot hardware to every car. Obviously they want to turn AP into a revenue stream later not. Not just charging for upgrades, but the robotaxi service. For now though that means that the base SR model is a money loser for them.

The problem is that Musk announced what are just goals as promises. Then when it turns out that they can't make a $35k Model 3 profitably he had snookered them, and they have to release a loss-making compliance car and then try to avoid actually selling any.

they are still very expensive

Pedantic Point: for a high mileage driver, particularly if free-charge-at-work is available (no BiK tax on that) the saving on fuel, per month (my rule of thumb: save £100 per month for each 10,000 miles drive p.a.), chucked into the monthly finance can make the maths work. Buying a 2nd hand Model-S that has unlimited Supercharging might also work ...

Unfortunately the interior put me off

Marmite I'm afraid. Have a look on the Jag iPace forums. They think anyone driving the spartan cabin of a Tesla needs their head examining and nothing would persuade them to do that ...

Wasn't sure how I would get on with it, but I now love not having dirty rags and used sweet wrappers in the door pockets ...

And the absence of any physical switches means that Tesla has been able to add more switches (to screen) during my ownership. Graphic Equaliser when from 3-sliders to 5-slider ... try that as a retro fit in a Jag ...

And the absence of any physical switches means that Tesla has been able to add more switches (to screen) during my ownership. Graphic Equaliser when from 3-sliders to 5-slider ... try that as a retro fit in a Jag ...

Jag have a graphic EQ on their screen too.

The issue with Tesla is that important stuff is only available under three levels of menus on the screen. For example the only way to adjust regen is via the menus, where as other cars put it on the gear selector or have paddles for it. Considering how basic the Tesla regen is they really didn't do anything to improve the situation by making it very difficult and probably illegal to change while driving.

Well FWIW I have never changed the Regen level. I've learnt to drive on Max Regen.

I've read of people driving Bolts who think the lever (on steering wheel) that increases Regen is wonderful, and I've never driven any other Regen vehicle but Tesla, but I just can't get my head around it.

I lift off, regen starts, its more aggressive than I need and I'm slowing down too quickly, so I push the throttle a bit to feather it and I lose speed at exactly the rate I want to.

If some idiot jumps out in front of me I'm hard on the brakes (and have max Regen assisting too)

So, personally, I'm not sure why I would want to adjust it.

But your argument about "knobs/no knobs" is sound, and I am sat firmly on the fence.

When I learnt to drive, donkeys years ago, my Father insisted I could reach any control without taking my eyes off the road ... of course nowadays there is no car on the road with so few switches that that is possible (and where the heck is Voice Recognition, surely that would be the answer?)

So I'm not sure that menu-system is worse that knobs where you have to remember to pull/push before rotate left/right being different. You get used to all that easily enough ... but then you jump into Spouse's car where everything is different and you become a liability on the road all over again. Well, I'm saying "you", I actually mean "me" of course :)

The stuff I need is on the bottom row (always on screen) or on the first screen that comes up. The Lights (e.g. Fogs) are no longer there which is eyes-off-road to sort out, but there isn't really anything else that I have to dig for when driving.

The main APPs are two click - APPS button and then, e.g. Trip Graph. That is eyes off road, but for a very short time, and what I had before on Golf was a steering wheel button ... but then I had to watch the dash as I click-click-clicked to cycle through everything, so in practice that was long-interval-eyes-off-road

Infotainment is probably the worst eyes-off-road risk. If I actually want to fiddle with that I make sure that AP is on and, indeed, I have had a situation where cars in front slowed down significantly in the brief instance when I was doing something on the dash, and first I knew about it was AP slowing down.

Well FWIW I have never changed the Regen level. I've learnt to drive on Max Regen.

I've read of people driving Bolts who think the lever (on steering wheel) that increases Regen is wonderful, and I've never driven any other Regen vehicle but Tesla, but I just can't get my head around it.

It has many uses.

For ultra efficient driving you can adjust between coasting and heavy regen. The Kona and Niro have auto modes as well that integrate with TACC and it works incredibly well.

You can also use it going down hill as a kind of engine braking, adjusted to the slope.

The paddles allow for one peddle driving as well. You hold the paddle to come to a stop and it engages auto-hold automatically.

Once you get used to adjusting regen you find it very useful in every day driving. Instead of trying to balance the accelerator and move your foot around all the time you just use the regen.

So I'm not sure that menu-system is worse that knobs where you have to remember to pull/push before rotate left/right being different.

All the important stuff is on easy to use buttons and stalks, e.g. windscreen wipers. The Model 3 has auto mode but when it fails you have to manually adjust via the screen.

Infotainment is probably the worst eyes-off-road risk.

One reason I like Android Auto is that voice recognition is very good and lets you control everything.