Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Touchy subject, I know... What type of depreciation does the community think new X buyers will experience?

My initial analysis indicates it largely depends upon the trim level and major updates made by Tesla.

- Right off the bat, I noticed X 75D has retained its value very well while the P90D has tanked. This is based off analysis of the aggregate/consolidate sites.
- Also, Tesla is discounting similar AP1 P90Ds by roughly $20k compared to the AP2/EAP counterparts. Damn.
- Final note, the smartest thing anyone could have done was buy a S60 in 2013. With incentives factored, those cars have lost ~$10k in 3/4 years. Better than a Honda Accord.

Thanks for that data - very interesting. Do you have any more numbers to provide (avg. selling prices etc.?)

That makes sense that Tesla is discounting by that much, but does this affect net aftermarket value?

Thanks for that data - very interesting. Do you have any more numbers to provide (avg. selling prices etc.?)

That makes sense that Tesla is discounting by that much, but does this affect net aftermarket value?

I think it will affect net aftermarket value by a decreasing margin. Now, it's $20k and that's based on at least a half dozen examples. In a couple years, it will probably even out to less than a few thousand. P90D with AP1 folks just need to hang on to their cars. If you sell now, you're in for a hit.

I don't know the rules about posting URLs - most message boards prohibit them. Just search Tesla inventory in google.

2017-02-18_16-07-49.png

FNG here. When people speak of percent depreciation, is it based on the car's price as finally delivered, or on the list price plus destination? In other words, post sales tax and license, or pre? Thanks.

MSRP only, no tax/license. Some people pay 10% tax, others pay 0%.

75D is so much cheaper, so you won't lose as much.... I would never own the 75D, range is terrible...

Yeah, it is almost half the price. It's also slower. However, range is quite negligible: 75D: 237 mi vs. 250 mi with the P90D. Now the 100D is 295 mi... much better.

• Informative
Reactions: avesraggiana
Ooooohhh... that's tough to hear. That's exactly what I ordered.

Don't worry about it. He's just justifying his purchase for his needs. I have a S60D with no issues for range.

I drive about 2000mi/mo. I commute in a X75D - 40/ea way. I'm the one that drives for lunch, Side trip to pick up grocieries and dry cleaning on the way home. I use my heater and leave it at 70 in the cold NE and preheat my car 15min before leaving to and from work. My consumption is always above 400wh/mi. And I typically only charge my X75D to 70%. I bump it up to 90% on the weekends and have no issues on the X or the S.

And yes, I find residuals to be much better on those. There seems to be a floor to Tesla's prices and the 60/75s usually sit right at that floor. You can see that the inventories are discounted a smaller percentage usually for lower models.

See my cross post from another thread on this topic :cool:

Here is an interesting article on Tesla depreciation compared to other vehicles.
I think the value of the original Model S will bottom out in 10 years and then hold steady with possible long term appreciation.

Tesla Model S True Ownership Cost, Including Depreciation - Video

Here is an interesting article on Tesla depreciation compared to other vehicles.
I think the value of the original Model S will bottom out in 10 years and then hold steady with possible long term appreciation.

Tesla Model S True Ownership Cost, Including Depreciation - Video

View attachment 215346

Video Description via Teslanomics by Ben Sullins on YouTube:

The Tesla Model S is in a class of its own in nearly all categories you look at. When it comes to depreciation, it also outperforms all the other Electric Vehicles (EVs) as well as the gas-powered (ICE) cars with a similar price tag. If you’re looking in the higher-end affordable luxury market, or the real luxury market you will be hard-pressed to find a better value for your dollar.

The four broad categories of expenses to look at when calculating the exact price of a car, EV or otherwise, are fuel, insurance, maintenance/repairs, and depreciation. The first three are out-of-pocket expenses that require you to spend money however depreciation is the largest of the four categories by far. The main difference with depreciation is that you don’t spend this money, rather, you lose the money when you go to sell the vehicle. Unlike other ICE cars or EVs I bet you won’t want to actually ever sell your Tesla, but in case you do, I wanted to provide some insight using the data I found.

The data from Autolist.com shows that when comparing a Tesla Model S to other luxury vehicles with a similar price tag, it retains its value from 30-60% better over a span of 30-100k miles. Since the Tesla Model S engine is rated to go nearly 500K miles the typical comparison of five years doesn’t really make sense since it would be almost impossible to drive that distance in that time.

upload_2017-2-18_10-2-29-png.215346

Video Description via Teslanomics by Ben Sullins on YouTube:

The Tesla Model S is in a class of its own in nearly all categories you look at. When it comes to depreciation, it also outperforms all the other Electric Vehicles (EVs) as well as the gas-powered (ICE) cars with a similar price tag. If you’re looking in the higher-end affordable luxury market, or the real luxury market you will be hard-pressed to find a better value for your dollar.

The four broad categories of expenses to look at when calculating the exact price of a car, EV or otherwise, are fuel, insurance, maintenance/repairs, and depreciation. The first three are out-of-pocket expenses that require you to spend money however depreciation is the largest of the four categories by far. The main difference with depreciation is that you don’t spend this money, rather, you lose the money when you go to sell the vehicle. Unlike other ICE cars or EVs I bet you won’t want to actually ever sell your Tesla, but in case you do, I wanted to provide some insight using the data I found.

The data from Autolist.com shows that when comparing a Tesla Model S to other luxury vehicles with a similar price tag, it retains its value from 30-60% better over a span of 30-100k miles. Since the Tesla Model S engine is rated to go nearly 500K miles the typical comparison of five years doesn’t really make sense since it would be almost impossible to drive that distance in that time.

• Informative
Reactions: rjcbox and Cowby
MSRP only, no tax/license. Some people pay 10% tax, others pay 0%.

Yeah, it is almost half the price. It's also slower. However, range is quite negligible: 75D: 237 mi vs. 250 mi with the P90D. Now the 100D is 295 mi... much better.

I actually ordered the Model S 75D, and not the Model X, and the EPA-rated number on that is 259 miles. But as we all know, who really knows, until we log some time behind the wheel. What I balk at is the extreme premium one pays to jump from the S 75D to the S90D. Something like $10,000 to go another 35 miles. Yikes!

Thanks for clarifying my depreciation question. I also figured out on my own while mindlessly pushing weights around at the gym for an hour. Slow learner here.

Don't worry about it. He's just justifying his purchase for his needs. I have a S60D with no issues for range.

I drive about 2000mi/mo. I commute in a X75D - 40/ea way. I'm the one that drives for lunch, Side trip to pick up grocieries and dry cleaning on the way home. I use my heater and leave it at 70 in the cold NE and preheat my car 15min before leaving to and from work. My consumption is always above 400wh/mi. And I typically only charge my X75D to 70%. I bump it up to 90% on the weekends and have no issues on the X or the S.

And yes, I find residuals to be much better on those. There seems to be a floor to Tesla's prices and the 60/75s usually sit right at that floor. You can see that the inventories are discounted a smaller percentage usually for lower models.

Thank you for your comment. My driving habits will be quite similar to yours in my recently ordered Model S75D. At least once a week I’ll be planning to drive 145 miles one way, then driving home 145 miles a few days later. That’s when I’d follow your example and bump it up to 90%, for that longer trip.

Thank you for your comment. My driving habits will be quite similar to yours in my recently ordered Model S75D. At least once a week I’ll be planning to drive 145 miles one way, then driving home 145 miles a few days later. That’s when I’d follow your example and bump it up to 90%, for that longer trip.

Since it's the S, you'll be more than ok.

Overall, I find I typically get about 75% of the rated miles, and I drive...enthusiastically. @90% charge, driving like me or another maniac, the S75D should still get you 175mi. Plenty for your trip.

Reactions: avesraggiana

I don't think their data is correct. Just look at CPO prices today, which should be the absolute top dollar of the used market. According to the chart, my 40k mile P85 CPO should have cost ~$69,500 after taking into account the tax credits. I actually bought it for $58,000 (or 35% off after the tax credit, which is much closer to the % of the other cars on that chart).

Maybe the P models just have the worst depreciation, but it doesn't seem better in practice than the other luxury brands.

I don't think their data is correct. Just look at CPO prices today, which should be the absolute top dollar of the used market. According to the chart, my 40k mile P85 CPO should have cost ~$69,500 after taking into account the tax credits. I actually bought it for $58,000 (or 35% off after the tax credit, which is much closer to the % of the other cars on that chart).

Maybe the P models just have the worst depreciation, but it doesn't seem better in practice than the other luxury brands.

This is correct ... Performance models take the biggest hit :cool: