Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Describe your initial impressions upon new delivery of 2023 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I am very close to purchasing a model Y. Biggest concern is the ride. I was only able to test drive a 2022 build in HK. It is not confirmed by Tesla whether the 2023 Model Ys (right hand drive) exported from Shanghai to Australia, UK, and HK have the comfort suspension. We know the Australian performance model has new comfort suspension (which is supposedly more compliant even on 21" uberturbines compared to a 2022 19" wheel model Y). We also know that the China build Model Ys for the local Chinese market have had comfort suspension since Jan 1, 2023.

Tesla cannot seem to give a straight answer in HK and by the sounds of it Australia. So anyone who has received a 2023 build delivered - can you explain whether you found the ride better than an equivalent Y you may have tested beforefand. Any feedback would be very useful. Thanks in advance for your comments! There are only 1 or 2 comments on-line I have seen on this.

I also have an MYP in Melbourne. No issues with it. I would say it’s stiff, not harsh. I would imagine the 19” standard wheels with the new suspension would be quite plush, opposed to the 21” w/ low profile tires on the P model.

The MY is not the perfect car, but it's good enough and close enough for me. The fact that it is selling better than the competition should give you comfort that it performs well enough to be acceptable.

Hi everyone. I am very close to purchasing a model Y. Biggest concern is the ride. I was only able to test drive a 2022 build in HK. It is not confirmed by Tesla whether the 2023 Model Ys (right hand drive) exported from Shanghai to Australia, UK, and HK have the comfort suspension. We know the Australian performance model has new comfort suspension (which is supposedly more compliant even on 21" uberturbines compared to a 2022 19" wheel model Y). We also know that the China build Model Ys for the local Chinese market have had comfort suspension since Jan 1, 2023.

Tesla cannot seem to give a straight answer in HK and by the sounds of it Australia. So anyone who has received a 2023 build delivered - can you explain whether you found the ride better than an equivalent Y you may have tested beforefand. Any feedback would be very useful. Thanks in advance for your comments! There are only 1 or 2 comments on-line I have seen on this.
Even with the latest comfort suspension and 19 inch wheels the ride is firm. On the other hand in its segment the model Y has vastly superior efficiency, range and charging options than any other competitor. Great suspension gives you no comfort at a unusable charging station.

MY RWD and MYP have different suspension systems.

When media reported that comfort suspension was added to 2023 models, it was a little vague on whether the RWD got them. It's only been confirmed that the suspension of the 2023 MYP is different to 2022 MYP.

If the suspension of the RWD wasn't completely changed to "comfort suspension", it doesn't mean it's the same stiff suspension from 2022. Many people including Youtube reviewers confirmed that 2023 RWD had softer suspension to the 2022 they test drove. Whether that's a result of different tuning or a completely different suspension is anyone's guess.

We came from an AWD CX-9 and can confirm that my January 2023 built MY RWD has a firmer suspension. Though, I don't consider it particularly stiff to bother me. It's stiffer in that it doesn't have a plush floaty large SUV feel, but not enough for me to complain about.

I took delivery of a 12/2022 Model Y, and I think its definitely too stiff and noisy at low speeds for such a car. But what do you do? Its still the best EV you can currently purchase IMHO. I don't consider myself an Tesla evangelical, so I can always find faults and there are several things I would change, still basically the same items from my Model 3. (Mainly the dumb door handles and frame less windows, but the list would be much larger).

Apparently the suspension got softer from Jan 2023. Who would know with this company though, it is so hard to find concrete information. I guess part numbers on dampers and or springs would be different if there were a change.

Perhaps someone with a newer build can post part numbers and we can compare.

One thing I am considering is tire pressure. Tesla recommends 42PSI. Interestingly the EV6 and Ioniq 5 recommends 36PSI and they are heavier cars…. Mercedes EQA is 40PSI and polestar 2 is similar to Tesla. Audi Q4 e tron is 32PSI as is the BMW ix1…. All of which are heavier than the model Y. This may partly explain why the ride is better as well.

Elon Musk once famously tweeted if you want a better ride, lower the pressure by 10% and you lose 2% of range. That trade off is worth it for me for sure if it leads to a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

10% lower tire pressure equates to around 38PSI. Although my understanding is that the tire pressure warning system kicks in at below 38PSI which would be annoying and somewhat inconsistent with what he said…. There is a range to be fair of between 40-45psi. So I guess 39-40PSI would be safe.

Anyone experimented with this in Australia?

Most TPMS systems do not have set pressures below which they will trigger, they are not that definitive. All they can do is track relative changes and indicate when a certain % threshold is reached

You should have no issues setting pressures to 38 or even 36. I would probably not go lower than that though, given the weight of the car

Reactions: t3sla-007
One thing I am considering is tire pressure. Tesla recommends 42PSI. Interestingly the EV6 and Ioniq 5 recommends 36PSI and they are heavier cars…. Mercedes EQA is 40PSI and polestar 2 is similar to Tesla. Audi Q4 e tron is 32PSI as is the BMW ix1…. All of which are heavier than the model Y. This may partly explain why the ride is better as well.

Elon Musk once famously tweeted if you want a better ride, lower the pressure by 10% and you lose 2% of range. That trade off is worth it for me for sure if it leads to a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

10% lower tire pressure equates to around 38PSI. Although my understanding is that the tire pressure warning system kicks in at below 38PSI which would be annoying and somewhat inconsistent with what he said…. There is a range to be fair of between 40-45psi. So I guess 39-40PSI would be safe.

Anyone experimented with this in Australia?
Tyre pressure that is too low will see excessive wear on the edges of the tyre. So you will lose range and tyre life in deflating the tyre. Equally over inflation will lead to centre wear. I modulate my tyre pressures to keep wear uniform, which is around 2psi below Tesla’s recommendation on the model S for my driving style.

Reactions: Blue heaven
Most TPMS systems do not have set pressures below which they will trigger, they are not that definitive. All they can do is track relative changes and indicate when a certain % threshold is reached

You should have no issues setting pressures to 38 or even 36. I would probably not go lower than that though, given the weight of the car
The Tesla TPMS on both my M3 and MY sound an alarm when the tyre pressure hits 38PSI. Yellow warning light then appears on screen and won't go away until you get the pressure back up to 39.

I can understand if the performance model has stiffer performance but the regular models should really have it. Ironic that currently only the performance has it. Reviewers have said the ride on the performance was better than the RWD one they tested before.

From my test drive of a RWD in February, I agree with Zoltrix. The ride is too firm and noisy for such a car. I still ordered one despite that, mainly because its positive outweighs the negative, and there is not much competition around that price point.
On my 3 RWD, I set the tyre pressure below the recommended pressure, to no more than 40 psi, otherwise it is too hard. There is no issue with excessive shoulder wear. I am used to the stiff suspension of my Ford Focus RS, and some of my previous cars, but the Y RWD is not a sports car or a hot hatch. The suspension really should be more compliant without being floaty.

The Tesla TPMS on both my M3 and MY sound an alarm when the tyre pressure hits 38PSI. Yellow warning light then appears on screen and won't go away until you get the pressure back up to 39.

On my Model 3 LR with 18” tyres, the tyre pressure warning icon appears on the screen when the pressure falls to 36 psi. I know because I currently have a very slow leak in one of my tyres and have to pump it up again every 2 weeks.

We set ours to 36psi for 5000km. The comfort level is so much better. Have bumped it up to 42psi for 5000km and yep it's harsh.
It does shine with the higher psi when on the highway at speed.
Alternating between the two for tyre wear.
We do this for all our fleet cars to help prolong the tyres. So far it has worked well.