Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design center changes? (body color roof, power liftgate, hi-amp charger, SAS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
For no good reason, I was looking through the (US) Model S design center this evening (after the removal of the 60/60D) and a few things caught my eye:

1. The roof options are now "Glass roof" (standard) and "Sunroof" (+$2000). It doesn't look like there's a body color roof option.

2. The power liftgate appears to be standard now ("Now standard with automatic rear liftgate" in the Standard Equipment list).

3. The high-amperage charger option is included with the 100D and P100D, but doesn't appear at all on the 75/75D/90D.

4. Smart Air Suspension ($2500) doesn't appear as an option for the 75/75D.

Am I reading this wrong? Or has it been this way for awhile and I just missed it?

Bruce.

Looks like the 100D "price increase" was actually a standard feature increase.

I'm going to cancel my 100D order and re-order as it's now cheaper with the options I want, and the PUP seems fairly worthless now the power lift gate is included.

Unless I'm missing something, I now get a power lift gate and high amperage charger for $500 LESS than a car without them ordered before today.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
It appears to me that Tesla is trying to create model segmentation to placate the high-end buyers. Reserving options like SAS to only the more expensive models is classic big 3 technique.

That was my interpretation as well. It used to be that the various options were more-or-less orthogonal to the battery capacity or drive system, so you could get a car with limited range but all the options, or a long-range, performance, but stripped down car. In my completely uneducated opinion, this allowed the Model S to cater to a wide variety of customers, who had different priorities for their cars, and could pick and choose exactly the options that appealed to them (so you could buy a bare-bones P100D for the track, or a 60 with all the bells and whistles for your daily driver around town).

Bruce.

The forced bundling of certain options may partially be done to streamline production, but potentially also to increase profit by moving buyers up stream into higher margin model, using those features as a carrot. This isn't something that I feel is good from a consumer perspective and the flexible selection is options is something that help set Tesla apart from traditional manufactures.

My other car is a Honda Odyssey, and wanted leather so the mess the kids make will be easier to clean up. However, if you want leather seats, you'll have to move up to a trim level that comes will a whole bunch of crap like horrible navigation and DVD player (seriously, just give me an ipad).

I hope Tesla reverts some of this and continue to provide those flexibility.

...In my completely uneducated opinion, this allowed the Model S to cater to a wide variety of customers, who had different priorities for their cars..."
Bruce.
That's my "big car/small battery" spiel. I came to realize that although Model3 was more than sufficient in range; it was too small to meet my daily driver needs of hauling my dogs, guitar equipment, etc. I jumped to the S60 and then added some creature comforts to create my "ideal car". I don't know if I would/could do that today. The lack of SAS on the new 75 would be a deal killer for me.