Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Detailed Review of Software Update 2018.48.12.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received 2018.48.12.1 software update. Here's my video review -
It includes a new "Keep Climate On" (Camp) mode that allows you to fix the temperature for long period of time and then it will only turn off when your battery has 20% of power left. Before this if you closed your doors and put the car in park it would turn off your climate after a few minutes. The Tesla mobile app was enhanced with the ability to turn on your heated seats, but it requires the 3.8 version of the Tesla mobile app (which isn't available as of 12/18/18). A new "Romance Mode" was added that turns your screen into a fireplace and blasts heat at you. If you tap the screen it plays romantic music. There is a new Emissions Testing Mode - you have to see this one!!!! And finally they added the "Pole Position" Atari game and support for Atari game controllers.

The video just goes over all the stuff that all the blogs and other vlogers are going over the past 24 hours.

Do you have any other feedback? How's the speed of the MCU, any improvements in autopilot. Any difference in the driving experiences in the different modes (chill, sport, insane or ludicrous), etc... Does the auto wiper feel different (ie, could it be using the new neural network).

I have not received this update. I would have thought that Tesla pushes out software updates to all owners at the same time, for example, as Apple does. Any ideas on how to get the update?

No offense, but check any other thread where people talk about updates... You wait just like everyone else. These are rolled out in stages.

They've had a 'request update' button on the potential update list for awhile now, but that's on Elon Time.

Regarding the update though, I am happy we finally got to keep climate mode on. That one I've been waiting for for awhile...

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Nice video demo, thanks. But the updates are pretty stupid. I wish they would just focus on making the car driving better and stop trying to distract me with things I don't care about.

As with most software updates many people are easily distracted by new bells and whistles and completely ignore the fundamentals. Microsoft began doing that even before Windows 3 and continues to this day.

Tesla does staged rollouts, just like Apple.
Well, I wouldn’t say that. With macOS and iOS updates (as with most all software updates for devices other than cars), you can manually start the update at any time after it is released to everyone. You don’t have to wait for the next time your device checks for available updates.

With Tesla, barring special circumstances, you don’t get the update until your vehicle is sent it – potentially many weeks after it was first introduced and likely after newer updates are sent to other vehicles. But then, it’s a car, and I don’t know of anyone else doing over-the-air updates for cars.

I received 2018.48.12.1 software update. Here's my video review -
It includes a new "Keep Climate On" (Camp) mode that allows you to fix the temperature for long period of time and then it will only turn off when your battery has 20% of power left. Before this if you closed your doors and put the car in park it would turn off your climate after a few minutes. The Tesla mobile app was enhanced with the ability to turn on your heated seats, but it requires the 3.8 version of the Tesla mobile app (which isn't available as of 12/18/18). A new "Romance Mode" was added that turns your screen into a fireplace and blasts heat at you. If you tap the screen it plays romantic music. There is a new Emissions Testing Mode - you have to see this one!!!! And finally they added the "Pole Position" Atari game and support for Atari game controllers.

Has anyone tested a USB Game controller compatible with Pole Position?

Thanks, has anyone started a list of controllers that work?
Nice video demo, thanks. But the updates are pretty stupid. I wish they would just focus on making the car driving better and stop trying to distract me with things I don't care about.
It’s the little things in life that I like. I absolutely love fart mode. Just got the update and my whole family laughed.