Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Determine Amperage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dryer plugs tend to barely get used, so they should be OK most of the time. The frequent disconnects will wear them out and eventually the contact resistance goes high enough the pins start to overheat and melt stuff. This most likely will be detected by the temp probe in the mobile connector if that's the unit that's plugged into that receptacle. If an additional box or extension cord is used this of course won't work anymore. I'd expect that plug is fine, as long as its snug when you plug into it that's about all you can do. An EV with a large battery can be charging for a long time and run a plug at full load the entire time, so its the worst case more or less. The plug will likely be warm after a while, but it should never be hot to the touch. It's not really a big concern, but these are things you should probably be aware of. Replacing that panel will almost certainly be over 1K. The lowest I could see someone charging is maybe $1200ish, more likely would be in the 2's. It should be fine, but you don't appear to have the capacity to reasonably add on a high power charger. You most likely have 100A service feeding the house, so that would need to be replaced to run a 48A wall charger. That's several thousand easy, and can be quite a bit more depending on the location.

Dryer plugs tend to barely get used, so they should be OK most of the time. The frequent disconnects will wear them out and eventually the contact resistance goes high enough the pins start to overheat and melt stuff. This most likely will be detected by the temp probe in the mobile connector if that's the unit that's plugged into that receptacle. If an additional box or extension cord is used this of course won't work anymore. I'd expect that plug is fine, as long as its snug when you plug into it that's about all you can do. An EV with a large battery can be charging for a long time and run a plug at full load the entire time, so its the worst case more or less. The plug will likely be warm after a while, but it should never be hot to the touch. It's not really a big concern, but these are things you should probably be aware of. Replacing that panel will almost certainly be over 1K. The lowest I could see someone charging is maybe $1200ish, more likely would be in the 2's. It should be fine, but you don't appear to have the capacity to reasonably add on a high power charger. You most likely have 100A service feeding the house, so that would need to be replaced to run a 48A wall charger. That's several thousand easy, and can be quite a bit more depending on the location.

Agree exactly. upgrading a panel will easily run you over $2400 in San Jose CA, but there is little reason for you to do so since there is a dryer outlet ready to use.

You didn't mention if you are still using an electric dryer, if yes, this is a EVPS is a good option for you. www.ev-powershare.com/
The auto switching plus the over-current protection will allow you to plug it in and forget about it.

This is the original box from when the house was built in 1980. It is located in the garage, about ten feet from the dryer outlet. I would replace if the cost is under 1K, but would want to wait if its in the thousands of dollars. That is unless someone sees something of concern from a safety standpoint.
I am suspecting that this is a Zinsco panel, with known issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and hezza8
I wonder if it would be possible to just replace the panel without changing the service.
Should be able to. However if someone is updating the panel, might as well see if they can increase services.

If you get power from an overhead power line, you are in luck, you can easily double your service to 200amps.

If you have buried power line, good luck, at best you can go is from 100 to 125amps.

Should be able to. However if someone is updating the panel, might as well see if they can increase services.

If you get power from an overhead power line, you are in luck, you can easily double your service to 200amps.

If you have buried power line, good luck, at best you can go is from 100 to 125amps.
Can also get an upsized panel now and upgrade service later.

Upgrade depends on the transformer rating and such also.

Thanks for the offer. Here are a couple of pics. Dryer is the green breaker. Pardon the terrible labeling... Purchases the house from my parents and this sort of thing is not my Dad's expertise.

If you will look closely at the two green breakers you will notice a silver clip that slides over the lower breaker handle. A flat piece goes up and slides in a slot on the upper breaker. This connects the two single pole 30A breakers and makes them a two pole 30A breaker. All of the 40A breaker pairs pictured above are connected this way.

Yes, it appears that this panel is a fire hazard even before you add a long-term high load device on it. I'd be a little surprised if an electrician would try to add something to it, and perhaps more surprised if the electrical inspector would approve it.

?!? My 2014 house has underground power line and I have 225A service.

Because we live in the same city, with houses around the same age? Your house is built in 2014, that out the context of this thread. Not sure what you are trying imply here.

Just wondering why you think that other house can only go up to 125A if power is underground as mine is built with 225A. Thanks for explaining that you really don;'t know and are making a guess.

Just wondering why you think that other house can only go up to 125A if power is underground as mine is built with 225A. Thanks for explaining that you really don;'t know and are making a guess.
it's a logical and easy deduction, but no one can be absolutely sure except for the home owner.

Older houses typically have 100 amp service. And it is nearly impossible to double their service to 200amps if it's underground, as it cost insane amount to pull an extra wire.