Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Devoted Teslonian now developing a resentment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla seems to have polarized their current owners with last weeks changes in car pricing and the FSD/EAP pricing. Wonder if that will have any long term consequences by losing support of the early buyers who would promote their cars to others. I'm sure they thought about it and must feel the early buyers are disposable and they have a larger market to cash in on going to lower price points.

I personally feel the changes in the 3 were too much for me. Got 5 referrals from friends at the end of the year and they all felt they were scammed by Tesla and pushed to a sale or end up paying more in 2019 with the halving of the tax credit. The worst are the people who were pushed to take delivery quick of the S and X in foreign markets and the price literally dropped 100k in front of their eyes. 100k is a crap ton of money, for high income earners it's essentially $160k that needs to be made to keep 100k after taxes. I feel stupid for believing in Tesla's words. Still love the cars but service and pricing fluctuations leave a bad taste which I still feel.

Last edited:
Nope...wrong answer.

I purchased EAP and FSD for $8k.

now EAP and FSD costs $5k if you got the car on the same day I purchased mine.

"Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 "

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
You can keep trying to correct people all you want...you would be wrong.

BTW... I love your name.
Welcome to TMC
So you’ve gotten no value from the EAP portion since you purchased your car? The way I see it you should only be comparing against people who bought EAP but not FSD since EAP was in fact delivered.
So far the website shows my FSD upgrade cost as $3000. There have been statements that’s it will cost $2000, but we’ll see if that really materializes.
I’m also curious/ worried that the recent statements from Elon and Tesla have not specifically mentioned HW3 upgrades (or in new cars either). All previous statements are apparently subject to change so who knows.

So you’ve gotten no value from the EAP portion since you purchased your car? The way I see it you should only be comparing against people who bought EAP but not FSD since EAP was in fact delivered.
So far the website shows my FSD upgrade cost as $3000. There have been statements that’s it will cost $2000, but we’ll see if that really materializes.
I’m also curious/ worried that the recent statements from Elon and Tesla have not specifically mentioned HW3 upgrades (or in new cars either). All previous statements are apparently subject to change so who knows.

If they were going to provide HW# with the upgrade they would be marketing it but they won't put it in writing for a reason. No that things in writing mean anything there.

I’m with OP on this one. The stupidity of FSD pre purchasers is the straw for me. I’m just so over them as a company. Love my 3 and X, but I cannot stand then any longer. I’ve been a cheerleader talking to so many people about the car and being a brand evangelist for them all because of my belief in their mission. But I’m just pissed off Bout how they are handling the FSD situation and that it’s going to turn me the other way.

So stupid. I guess I’m just frustrated because I was hoping for an ethical car company that created multiple disruptive products and business models. But the straight lie to my face seals it for me. Ugh. So upset about Tesla right now.

Yeah sort of like finding out after you marry your beautiful new girlfriend that she has borderline personality disorder, spending addiction and used to date the football team...or worse yet has a closet full of make america great again apparel.

Yeah sort of like finding out after you marry your beautiful new girlfriend that she has borderline personality disorder, spending addiction and used to date the football team...or worse yet has a closet full of make america great again apparel.

Analogy doesn't work. I would have had to pre-order my girlfriend to be delivered at some future date. But while waiting she was changed with different options that I already bought and then offered to others at a discount to who made a decision that they didn't want those options at that price, but then won't give me a refund even though I still haven't received my wife?.. Or something like that... I don't know I tried to make your analogy work, but it's hallow.

If they were going to provide HW# with the upgrade they would be marketing it but they won't put it in writing for a reason. No that things in writing mean anything there.

Except it is in writing.

As pointed out to you repeatedly.

All the way back to August, and most recently 4 days ago.

Elon Musk on Twitter

August 8th 2018-
Elon Musk said:
Those who order full self-driving get the upgrade at no cost.

March 2nd 2019-

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk said:
it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term

Same message, consistently, in writing, going back almost 6 months now.

You seem adamant on not taking yes for an answer though.

Except it is in writing.

As pointed out to you repeatedly.

All the way back to August, and most recently 4 days ago.

Elon Musk on Twitter

August 8th 2018-

March 2nd 2019-

Elon Musk on Twitter

Same message, consistently, in writing, going back almost 6 months now.

You seem adamant on not taking yes for an answer though.

Clearly you don't speak Tesla well. This is the sentence that is designed for ambiguity:

"it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term"

I have statements from Tesla in writing to me directly that are clear verifications and that Tesla has decided they will not honor simply because they changed their mind. Let me tell you I used to tell people they would always come through on what they promise know I know they lie to cover their rear. On another note on Monday I spent an hour talking to very senior person in the company I have known a long time. Did you know Tesla changed some of the dates in owners accounts to shorten the redemption period for those on the rewards program so they can't get their gifts? Did you also know they are not honoring people who are making claims on those gifts before their redemption expiration dates? Tesla employees are actually have to agree with customers but tell them "sorry I can't help you". Tesla literally won't respond or deliver these items. Sure Elon promises things and sometimes delivers late but I can tell you there is a new Tesla on the way and it is not going to be a customer friendly company. Things are messed up, you can't even take a test ride today sales people are not allowed to give them only sell with a refund policy.

Since "soon" with Elon is a year consider what "long term" means. Yes some people may get HW3 upgrades "in time". Bottom line and the more important point is that they specifically did not list a hard ware upgrade on the $2K option intentionally, that is a specific deliverable. Frankly I don't care about HW3 as I'm not foolish enough to pay for few silly features past EAP and for a promise of anything that likely won't fully materialize before my car is sold or the life of its utility will be limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy and zmarty
Hard to complain about the spoiler considering we got it for free due to the refund. Although my check still hasn't made it because they sent it to the wrong damn address.

Well dang....you sound just like I did before all this. Now imagine Tesla sending you a request for an 11k donation to help them get to mass market sooner. Would you do it?
It's not an 11k difference.

Analogy doesn't work. I would have had to pre-order my girlfriend to be delivered at some future date. But while waiting she was changed with different options that I already bought and then offered to others at a discount to who made a decision that they didn't want those options at that price, but then won't give me a refund even though I still haven't received my wife?.. Or something like that... I don't know I tried to make your analogy work, but it's hallow.

LOL...you right...I guess it popped into my mind because it really happened

I see it happening. I'm posting less...reading posts less...letting podcast slide. I don't rant much but need to get this out there.

Here's why:

I bought the Model 3 performance version with every available option including full self driving in September. I sold my beloved Model S at an incredible loss to do this. 2 years prior to this, I also took off a day of work, waited in line 2 years and gave Tesla an interest free deposit for the privilege

The incentive was "free supercharging" as well as the tax credit.

Then the 5K debacle . 5K or give up the full self driving. I inquired about it and received an email from Tesla that I could get 5K back AND still keep the full self driving incentive. I thanked them and told them where to send the check. Nothing ever arrived. I emailed them 2 months later and they told me the initial email (i'll be happy to copy and paste it) was a mistake and now it was one or the other. In my business I back up my word. Even if the initial Tesla rep made a mistake, they should have followed through with it. Getting a customers hopes all up and then dashing them is wrong. I kept the free supercharging...dumb financially but I had it with my S (only 2k or so then) and had gotten use to it.

Next...Early access program. Sworn to secrecy or they take it back, well I am not revealing software update secrets...just that it is not what I thought it would be. I guess if they want to take it back. then take it back. I got nav on autopilot a couple of weeks early. When track mode came out, I was one of the last to receive it. Dog/Sentry mode...still have not received it. I see no benefit. I sent an e-mail to Tesla as nothing whatsoever has happened since the nav on autopilot download asking them if I something more should be happening and to verify if I was actually on the EAP list or had been dropped by mistake...after all mistakes happen as evidenced by the false 5K refund offer while keeping the free charging....crickets...not even a response.

Now...FSD debacle. I paid 5K plus 3K. Now it is 3K plus 2K...bam another 3K wasted...now we are up to 8K but there have been other reductions 3.5 K more....now up to 11.5 K...but Elon Tweated that those who overpaid for FSD could be in the early access program as consolation. As mentioned many of us are already in the program, so giving it to us again is not a consolation and all I can say it it's not what I thought it would be. Nav on autopilot 2 weeks early many months ago but that's it...not given a single early update since and I am Irked that I cant even get a response from Tesla.

So paid 11.5 K more...been lied to in an official email since they did not back up their offer of keeping Free SC and 5K which would have been fair...not just to me since they offered this...but to everybody who overpaid, and bought early secondary to free SC incentive. Furthermore Elon's offer of early access to those who plunked down thousands up front for full self driving does not take into account the 2000 or so of us who are already in the program that seems to be of little value anyways. If you think that you will receive updates early, you will be very disappointed. In fact if you even believe emails about it will be answered, you will be disappointed.

Not to mention that fictitious spoiler and badging that I paid for up front (back in the day it wasn't included for free) and have pretty much given up on.

Teslonian? Are you from the planet Teslon? Or is it the Isle of Teslonia?

Wow reading all of this is painful. I traded money for pile of metal and tech in the form of an automobile that I am happy driving and feel safe in.

I don't know which pain is worse, feeling duped/lied too, or the actual loss of money. I am sure it is a ratio of both combined. My S has lost a lot of value just in the last few weeks, and more so over the last 6 months with Tesla's many changes. My P3, yup, could have saved money getting it today vs last October, but would not been able to drive it since then either. What is that worth? Don't really know and care to calc it out. I do know that if I had to rent an S or 3 on Turo for 5 months, it probably would be more.

Generally, when wronged someone wants compensation, and more so if one feels slighted in the process. But let's say no-one here gets any compensation. Does that mean you really want to bash Tesla literally to death? If they die, we all as owners of the cars and stock stand to lose far more than a few thousand dollars. We all knew that we were buying an asset that depreciates from the day it was acquired in the case of the automobile, and hopefully making a shrewd investment when purchasing the stock.

In one scenario, Tesla is reprehensible, and I can't condone their corporate actions in anyway, as it negatively affects lives of their employees and customers. In another scenario, one that I think is happening, they are doing big bold radical moves to stay alive, they are a scrappy underdog and are fighting everyday to make it.

I want them to make it. I'll be bruised, but better off if they do.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Wow reading all of this is painful. I traded money for pile of metal and tech in the form of an automobile that I am happy driving and feel safe in.

I don't know which pain is worse, feeling duped/lied too, or the actual loss of money. I am sure it is a ratio of both combined. My S has lost a lot of value just in the last few weeks, and more so over the last 6 months with Tesla's many changes. My P3, yup, could have saved money getting it today vs last October, but would not been able to drive it since then either. What is that worth? Don't really know and care to calc it out. I do know that if I had to rent an S or 3 on Turo for 5 months, it probably would be more.

Generally, when wronged someone wants compensation, and more so if one feels slighted in the process. But let's say no-one here gets anything. Does that mean you really want to bash Tesla literally to death?

To death? No, I like having a warranty.

But I assure you if they leave the early FSD buyers screwed I will be very clear with the tons of folks who ask me about Teslas that they are far better off being late adopters than early ones.

I'll make it clear it's a crap company that happens to produce awesome cars.

So it's a pretty bad path for them to go down given they're shutting down stores and doubling down on the whole "who needs marketing, word of mouth sells all our cars!" strategy.

W
If they die, we all as owners of the cars and stock stand to lose far more than a few thousand dollars. We all new that we were buying an asset that depreciates from the day it was acquired

So, the problem here is- I gave them $3000 for a pre-order that has now depreciated before I have even acquired it

I could care less that the actual car is cheaper today... I got to drive it for months in the meantime- I got something out of that depreciation.

But FSD? I got 0 other than the shaft.

To death? No, I like having a warranty.

But I assure you if they leave the early FSD buyers screwed I will be very clear with the tons of folks who ask me about Teslas that they are far better off being late adopters than early ones.

I'll make it clear it's a crap company that happens to produce awesome cars.

So it's a pretty bad path for them to go down given they're shutting down stores and doubling down on the whole "who needs marketing, word of mouth sells all our cars!" strategy.

So, the problem here is- I gave them $3000 for a pre-order that has now depreciated before I have even acquired it

I could care less that the actual car is cheaper today... I got to drive it for months in the meantime- I got something out of that depreciation.

But FSD? I got 0 other than the shaft.

Yes it will be interesting to observe how effective their new marketing strategy is now that they have switched from Tesla stores to Roadster wielding podcasters

Reactions: Roys3
Yes it will be interesting to observe how effective their new marketing strategy is now that they have switched from Tesla stores to Roadster wielding podcasters

Someone I know who wanted to test drive Model 3 but couldn’t because the store was shut down. I do hope Tesla has useful data to back their new strategy because I’m just not sure how people know which version they’d like to buy without test drive. The SR is obviously slower than LR and the LR is slower than the D and P but it’s hard to feel it without driving one.

The return policy is cumbersome if you think about it. To get financing and pay all the associated taxes and registrations only to undo everything can be a hassel that I feel most wouldn’t bother to go through the process.

Generally, when wronged someone wants compensation, and more so if one feels slighted in the process. But let's say no-one here gets any compensation. Does that mean you really want to bash Tesla literally to death? If they die, we all as owners of the cars and stock stand to lose far more than a few thousand dollars. We all knew that we were buying an asset that depreciates from the day it was acquired in the case of the automobile, and hopefully making a shrewd investment when purchasing the stock.

In one scenario, Tesla is reprehensible, and I can't condone their corporate actions in anyway, as it negatively affects lives of their employees and customers. In another scenario, one that I think is happening, they are doing big bold radical moves to stay alive, they are a scrappy underdog and are fighting everyday to make it.

I want them to make it. I'll be bruised, but better off if they do.

I agree and I can come up with only one thing that would make it right....so I am reaching out in case anyone knows him or he is so bored that he actually reads this post:..this is ALL it would take:

An autographed picture of Elon that I could put on my wall would make everything right. ....Kind of like that completely mental picture of Pat Sajak that Ed Grimley had on his wall on SNL back in the mid 80's...I must say

The return policy is cumbersome if you think about it. To get financing and pay all the associated taxes and registrations only to undo everything can be a hassel that I feel most wouldn’t bother to go through the process.

This.

I can’t imagine what would happen to customers that traded their car to get a Tesla and then realized it wasn’t what they expected and wanted to return it and get a refund. Do they get their trade back too? What if something happened to the car between the time when the car was traded and returned back to the customer? And then, the timing of the cancellation and refund, it sounds like it can take 30 days or more.. I can just see the aggravation people will go through trying to get Tesla to pay off loans, all the while still financially responsible for payments that are due while waiting, and having to deal with the additional hassle of working with their lender while everything is being undone.

In the end, I think Tesla is just betting people won’t bother trying to return the car and just accept the sale, even if they aren’t 100% happy with the car.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Someone I know who wanted to test drive Model 3 but couldn’t because the store was shut down.

My expectation is that the service/delivery centers, which are not only staying open, but adding more locations, would be the ones offering test drives going forward- especially since that's already where they'd have to keep the service loaner cars anyway.