Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did I damage my vehicle trying to use this lift puck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will using this lift puck damage my Model Y? This is the Basenor puck on Amazon and says it’s rated for the Y…but it’s too long.

I didn’t try to lift it, but I did try pushing it in before I realized it was too long. Should I be worried about causing any damage from trying to push it in by hand?

Will using this lift puck damage my Model Y? This is the Basenor puck on Amazon and says it’s rated for the Y…but it’s too long.

I didn’t try to lift it, but I did try pushing it in before I realized it was too long. Should I be worried about causing any damage from trying to push it in by hand?

That part doesn't fit properly. I would not use it until it is fixed. The center post needs to be shorter.

That part doesn't fit properly. I would not use it until it is fixed. The center post needs to be shorter.

No you didn't damage anything. Get an angle grinder and grind down the post or rub it on some concrete or something.
What’s weird is these seem to fit other Y’s…not sure why the piece that goes up into the hole is a bit long for mine.

1. I pushed it up by hand a bit hard before realizing it wouldn’t go up…I have NOT used a jack yet. Any chance I damaged whatever is inside the hole by pushing on it by hand? Here’s a still shot of the puck + the hole.

IMG_2889.jpeg
IMG_2960.jpeg

2. Any idea if the battery is located under the jack point hole?

3. Does anyone know what material is the jack point made of and what materials inside the hole (also pictured)?

What’s weird is these seem to fit other Y’s…not sure why the piece that goes up into the hole is a bit long for mine.

1. I pushed it up by hand a bit hard before realizing it wouldn’t go up…I have NOT used a jack yet. Any chance I damaged whatever is inside the hole by pushing on it by hand? Here’s a still shot of the puck + the hole.

View attachment 1015761View attachment 1015762

3. Does anyone know what material is the jack point made of and what materials inside the hole (also pictured)?

It's unlikely that the battery will be damaged.

Others might:

1. The puck's central post could collapse and broken down.

2.The car's hole might be pushed up further and deeper and damaged.

3.There might be other potential damages too but I am not sure.

If the hole area can be replaceable, it might cost about $1,000 to fix it.

If the hole area cannot be replaceable, thanks to the in-structured battery, it might cost about $20,000 to replace the hole and the battery together.

It's all speculations.

View attachment 1015761View attachment 1015762

If you haven’t used a jack on the on puck in the hole, I wouldn’t worry about. That point is designed to hold the partial weight of a car. Doubt anyone can generate enough force by hand, with little leverage.

It's unlikely that the battery will be damaged.

Others might:

1. The puck's central post could collapse and broken down.

2.The car's hole might be pushed up further and deeper and damaged.

3.There might be other potential damages too but I am not sure.

If the hole area can be replaceable, it might cost about $1,000 to fix it.

If the hole area cannot be replaceable, thanks to
IMG_2960.jpeg
the in-structured battery, it might cost about $20,000 to replace the hole and the battery together.

It's all speculations.
My concern is I damage whatever is up inside the hole behind this piece. I only pushed by hand, so it doesn’t seem likely there was any damage.

I was also curious if the battery was located directly under the lift point or a bit inside of it towards the center of the car.
If you haven’t used a jack on the on puck in the hole, I wouldn’t worry about. That point is designed to hold the partial weight of a car. Doubt anyone can generate enough force by hand, with little leverage.
Yeah, I’m glad I noticed…I read that sometimes certain pucks don’t fit…glad I realized it was too long and returned them.

I understand that point can hold the weight of the car…but I wasn’t sure if the area “inside” the hole where the puck was resting could hold the weight…which is mainly what I was concerned about.

I also wonder if the better is located under the lift point or a bit more inside towards the center of the vehicle.

IMG_2960.jpeg

Even if the battery is there, you didn't hurt anything. It takes more than hand pressure to damage it.

I really doubt there's anything to damage in the hole, thats a place made to hold the whole car up, no sense in putting anything sensitive right there.

My concern is I damage whatever is up inside the hole behind this piece. I only pushed by hand, so it doesn’t seem likely there was any damage.
Correct. Pushing by hand is not powerful enough to damage the area.

You didn't hurt anything because I don't see the damage from the puck's central post.

I was talking about how if you ignore the height of the puck's central post and let the entire weight of the car push down against it, the central post would contact the inside of the hole, which is the chassis.

I was also curious if the battery was located directly under the lift point or a bit inside of it towards the center of the car.
No. The battery is located in the central of the sides and not outward at the sides. The battery should be clear from the jack points (holes) and the sides.

Yeah, I’m glad I noticed…I read that sometimes certain pucks don’t fit…glad I realized it was too long and returned them.
They fit by the diameter fine but not with the proper height of the central post.

I understand that point can hold the weight of the car…but I wasn’t sure if the area “inside” the hole where the puck was resting could hold the weight…which is mainly what I was concerned about.
Correct. The car's weight should rest on the underside of the jack points (holes) but not the inside of the holes, ending what looks like a nut and a bot. That nut and bolt can't bear the car's weight with the puck's central puck pushing up against it.

I also wonder if the better is located under the lift point or a bit more inside towards the center of the vehicle.
The lift points should not be located further toward the center because that's the location of the battery.

I doubt it will damage it at all. Once you start lifting, the pucks tend to deform quite a bit. The extra bit in the central column will likely compress fairly easy once under the car's weight. Hard to imagine it would damage anything.