Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@sperkin and @Arctic1888

While it is true Model X prototype was a concept car from which many things (interior, longer wheelbase, hydraulic doors) did not make it into production, Model X beta/RC cars were the same as final.

So precedence says some change between prototype and RC/final is possible (in the Model 3s case nose, cup holders and maybe trunk opening), the RC cars we now see are very likely 95 or 100% final. Any change would be more like removing or not installing some final part to hide it (charge port? steering wheel details?) but likely nothing big...

The Model 3 purposely has a low dash. Any kind of screen integration would either raise the dash or move the screen lower, out of an easy to view spot, no longer allowing it to serve as a central instrument panel.

Integrating the screen is simply not possible no matter how much a vocal minority want it.

Well, there is the option to partially integrate it and make a portion of it rise above it as a slim screen for the top portion.

However, I agree this is very, very, very likely the final interior and such wishes are nothing more than wishful thinking at this stage.

Sperkin is not correct.
What you see is what M3 is.

Live with it.

Design language does not match. Flush door handles on S, X, and 3. If they want to save cost and stick an ipad on the dash they would put a normal door handle on the 3 that is not flush like a Camry. Trust me, 15 LCD screen will be flush to match their designs. They got rid of cup/bottle holders on the doors to make the cabin seem bigger. This same concept will carry over to the screen. Flush to match the doors and gain extra space to make the inside look bigger. I'm not a designer so i hope some designers on the forums can chime in.

Design language does not match. Flush door handles on S, X, and 3. If they want to save cost and stick an ipad on the dash they would put a normal door handle on the 3 that is not flush like a Camry. Trust me, 15 LCD screen will be flush to match their designs. They got rid of cup/bottle holders on the doors to make the cabin seem bigger. This same concept will carry over to the screen. Flush to match the doors and gain extra space to make the inside look bigger. I'm not a designer so i hope some designers on the forums can chime in.
Handles are flush for aerodynamics (which Model 3 is claimed to be even better than Model S). There's already a cost cut on the handles, which are manual for Model 3.

Making the screen flush by moving it would mean worse ergonomics because the screen would be harder to reach. The screen also needs to serve as an instrument cluster so the current height of the screen must be at that position.

Making the screen flush without moving it while making the dash larger would mean the car would seem much more cramped and there would be space wasted just for dash area.

Handles are flush for aerodynamics (which Model 3 is claimed to be even better than Model S). There's already a cost cut on the handles, which are manual for Model 3.

Making the screen flush by moving it would mean worse ergonomics because the screen would be harder to reach. The screen also needs to serve as an instrument cluster so the current height of the screen must be at that position.

Making the screen flush without moving it while making the dash larger would mean the car would seem much more cramped and there would be space wasted just for dash area.
I could see a design where the dash comes out to envelope the bottom of the screen (or all of it) without taking too much space. I don't necessarily think it's going to happen, but I can envision a design that would work.

I could see a design where the dash comes out to envelope the bottom of the screen (or all of it) without taking too much space. I don't necessarily think it's going to happen, but I can envision a design that would work.
Yes, you can have a "hump" where the dash comes out to integrate the screen, but I don't count that as the same as making the screen "flush".

This "no vents" thing is going to be the FWDs of the M3. A pointless affectation which is inferior to the proven design it replaced. There will be lots of complaints when it's 110 degrees in AZ and you can't point a vent right at your face but instead have to wait for the whole car to reach a comfortable temp.Tesla hasn't yet learned to say NO to experimenting with proven solutions. Innovation on the drivetrain level is great, innovating with solved problems is not.

According to the Tesla Show podcast the direction and everything of vents will be controlled via the touchscreen.

According to the Tesla Show podcast the direction and everything of vents will be controlled via the touchscreen.

First thought: I pray their implementation is intuitive and easy. They've been coy on the UI since the reveal. Either because 1) it's amazing or 2) it needs to be experienced to be appreciated (no "Model 3's vent controls look really bothersome to use" articles) or 3) it's actually a step backwards and not quite intuitive, but "you won't care" but "we can't keep saying that to our reservation holders because all these things might start adding up".

Second thought: this sounds like a significant "consumer-facing" technology upgrade, compared to the positively ancient Model S/X still using plastic knobs that are hand-manipulated to physically shove a grate left/right/up/down. The other rumor in that podcast was a whole interior overhaul w/ HUD for the S/X. Is July really going to be that exciting?

Probably not (lowering expectations, as Elon intended). They sold the nosecone on the Model S months after the X got its new fascia. Maybe they'll do a big S/X overhaul with the 2170s later in the year, after the Model 3 has ramped up smoothly.

I may be wrong but I hope I'm not because I hate the look of the screen sticking out.

However, as a producer on video games and film I have worked with engineers, designers, marketing, legal and everything in between. From my own experience, which has nothing to do with auto, but 2 major red flags to me are:
#1 screen does not fit the rest of their design (ie create more space visually and simple/clean lines). Designers and art team love consistency.

#2 screen would not be legally approved. It is a projectile in a crash. I have not seen it but that thing must be secure in a crash which doesnt look like it would from the pictures. Just for context, my legal team wouldn't even let me put a cup of water on a teenager for a movie poster because it could be interpreated as Vodka. Not sure how this would be approved since lawyers love going after car manufacturers. One accident from this screen flying out could lose millions for Tesla. High legal risk, I just don't see Telsa legal approving this design.

We will see in July if I'm right or wrong. Once again, I could be wrong but I hope not because I'm very bias towards the screen placement and it's a deal breaker for me.

I may be wrong but I hope I'm not because I hate the look of the screen sticking out.

However, as a producer on video games and film I have worked with engineers, designers, marketing, legal and everything in between. From my own experience, which has nothing to do with auto, but 2 major red flags to me are:
#1 screen does not fit the rest of their design (ie create more space visually and simple/clean lines). Designers and art team love consistency.

#2 screen would not be legally approved. It is a projectile in a crash. I have not seen it but that thing must be secure in a crash which doesnt look like it would from the pictures. Just for context, my legal team wouldn't even let me put a cup of water on a teenager for a movie poster because it could be interpreated as Vodka. Not sure how this would be approved since lawyers love going after car manufacturers. One accident from this screen flying out could lose millions for Tesla. High legal risk, I just don't see Telsa legal approving this design.

We will see in July if I'm right or wrong. Once again, I could be wrong but I hope not because I'm very bias towards the screen placement and it's a deal breaker for me.
#1. I think the floating screen fits the design of the model 3 just fine. (I will agree it's different than the s and x) but I think its the only solution that works with rest of the dash design. It also works with the mechanical design of the vent system. I'm pretty sure an integrated screen would completely mess with what they are trying to do with the single slot vent.

#2. I don't understand everybody who things this wouldn't be legal Does anybody have any idea what the regulations actually say about it? Other manufacturers have successfully used mostly floating designs where the screen is only attached at the bottom. Why would this be different if the mount is designed properly? (People also thought that regulations required to have a speedometer directly behind the wheel, but that turned out to not be true either)

I can only assume that Tesla would be aware of any regulations related to the interior. Why would they risk designing a car that's not legal and still keep it that way this close to start of production? All spy shots have shown the screen to be in the same position as the original alpha prototypes. There have some pics with the screens covered to hide what was on the screen, but the screen was still floating in the same place.

As much as some don't like it, I'm going to assume this is the final design. Personally I'm pretty excited about it. I think it will be received as high tech and cool, and not as weird at all.

As stated, we will see in July.

#1 It fits just fine, looks great.

#2 Your legal team was right about the vodka, and if you were crazy enough to pitch that idea in the first place, then it shows you have no idea if a floating display would be legal (no offense haha)... which it will be legal and looks very secure from the photos.

I will use images this time to make my last argument on why I think it’ll be flush.

Knee banging on edge. Lack of leg room.
tesla-model3-11.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-Center-Dash-Touchscreen.jpg

I will use images this time to make my last argument on why I think it’ll be flush.

Knee banging on edge. Lack of leg room.
tesla-model3-11.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-Center-Dash-Touchscreen.jpg

In the RCs it appears to be tilted up more, and this guy (who is 6'4" btw) has his seat up so that so that passengers in the back have plenty of legroom.

quote from What it was like inside the Model 3 unveiling event

He confirmed that he was 6’4” and had the seat up a lot further than usual to leave extra room in the rear. He also mentioned that the Model 3 is one of very few cars that he can drive without setting the driver’s seat all the way back.