Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not going to be flush, face it. It would take a major redesign of the dash, which just isn't happening at this stage. Just look at the top picture again and try and figure out how to integrate it into the dash without changing the entire dash.

The release candidates are just that, the final design.

I will use images this time to make my last argument on why I think it’ll be flush.

Knee banging on edge. Lack of leg room.
tesla-model3-11.jpg

Tesla-Model-3-Center-Dash-Touchscreen.jpg

Reactions: S3XY
In the RCs it appears to be tilted up more, and this guy (who is 6'4" btw) has his seat up so that so that passengers in the back have plenty of legroom.

quote from What it was like inside the Model 3 unveiling event
Yep. From his leg position, if it was a regular dash, he would have been banging on it already! This design is actually roomier and makes it physically possible to fit his legs.

Model 3 looks simple and clean. BMW has way too many things going on. Excess on excess. Simplicity stands out over everything

Model 3 rids of everything that is unnecessary. Something that every other car maker doesn't do.

Model 3 looks simple and clean. BMW has way too many things going on. Excess on excess. Simplicity stands out over everything

Model 3 rids of everything that is unnecessary. Something that every other car maker doesn't do.

It is arguable if it also removes some things that are necessary - or we'd be better off having. I am reminded of this fact every time some very simple thing takes tons of look-at-screen clicks on the Model S/X while one of my Germans would have had keep-looking-at-the-road tactile buttton for it.

It is arguable if it also removes some things that are necessary - or we'd be better off having. I am reminded of this fact every time some very simple thing takes tons of look-at-screen clicks on the Model S/X while one of my Germans would have had keep-looking-at-the-road tactile buttton for it.

I'm pretty sure people always look when they go for a physical button rather than groping around feeling the buttons to get the right one. If you say that you can hit a button exactly without looking, then you could do the same thing on a touch screen. I always have exactly the same things showing on the touch screen. Most of the stuff I do feels exactly the same on the touch screen. For instance, pressing the buttons to change the temp seems like the same process in my S and my wife's Honda. I glance down as I reach over for the button, tap tap tap up or down and then glance to confirm the temperature I've selected. Some things feel infinitely easier on the touch screen, like zooming and scrolling the map to show the traffic area I need. About the only interface I think is clunky on the S is changing the suspension height, because it involves selecting a particular menu in settings and it's something you need to do reasonably quickly before going out the driveway at a store you've never been to before (that fact that it remembers it from then on is great). How does one change the ride height in a BMW?

I some how think it is functional, easy to install, and inexpensive and that was a goal. Think about the MS/X display and the intricate (I assume ) manufacturing that must be done with curves/angles and the trim for the mounting and the expense and time if it must be replaced or worked on. I would like to think a lot of knowledgeable people hashed and rehashed the pros and cons of this and decided the best course of action was to KISS (keep it simple, stupid).
Nah... clearly the company that created the first long range EV that was also attractive with first large screen display, and then introduced the first highly functional auto pilot is actually a bunch of dumb$#!+ yes men who don't actually discuss and evaluate product design decisions.

I'm pretty sure people always look when they go for a physical button rather than groping around feeling the buttons to get the right one. If you say that you can hit a button exactly without looking, then you could do the same thing on a touch screen. I always have exactly the same things showing on the touch screen. Most of the stuff I do feels exactly the same on the touch screen. For instance, pressing the buttons to change the temp seems like the same process in my S and my wife's Honda. I glance down as I reach over for the button, tap tap tap up or down and then glance to confirm the temperature I've selected. Some things feel infinitely easier on the touch screen, like zooming and scrolling the map to show the traffic area I need. About the only interface I think is clunky on the S is changing the suspension height, because it involves selecting a particular menu in settings and it's something you need to do reasonably quickly before going out the driveway at a store you've never been to before (that fact that it remembers it from then on is great). How does one change the ride height in a BMW?

I don't find that true at all.

Adjusting temperature from a roller you can find with your hand vs. pressing + and - somewhere on a touch screen are completely different.

But I'd argue even operating that seat ventilation button is very different touch vs. button. No way can I do it on my Model X without looking and there is no tactile click to tell me my click actually went through - for all I know nothing happened. On my Audi A8 turned on seat ventilation all the time without looking and it was easy to both find the button and know when it had been pushed and how many pushes had registered...

What my concern is with the quest for simplicity is that sometimes it is taken so far that the simplicity is in appearances only. A bit like so many times on Apple devices, they look so marvelous with their limited connectors and sleek bodies... and then the actual reality is a massive amount of adapters and ugly external expansions to solve what could have been solved more elegantly had maximum simplicity not been the order of the day... The balance, that's what's important... Model S was already taking it far and not it seems Model 3 is taking things way beyond that...

I think Jaguar's I-Pace concept has a nice idea on touch combined with tactile A/C controls...

jaguar-i-pace-interiors.jpg

Nah... clearly the company that created the first long range EV that was also attractive with first large screen display, and then introduced the first highly functional auto pilot is actually a bunch of dumb$#!+ yes men who don't actually discuss and evaluate product design decisions.

So basically you are saying Tesla is infallible in your view? Can make no mistake?

So basically you are saying Tesla is infallible in your view? Can make no mistake?
Where the heck do you get that from my post? I was (sarcastically) agreeing with @Ciaopec that I expect Tesla thoroughly debated these design factors and made educated decisions. That does not mean they cannot make a mistake that could impact market. They made some with the X, and admitted so.

We also have to agree here that one man's meat is another's poison. You and others may dislike the 3 interior. I and others may like it. Whether it is a mistake or not will be determined by the market... which is much larger than the two of us or the entire forum.

Where the heck do you get that from my post? I was (sarcastically) agreeing with @Ciaopec that I expect Tesla thoroughly debated these design factors and made educated decisions. That does not mean they cannot make a mistake that could impact market. They made some with the X, and admitted so.

We also have to agree here that one man's meat is another's poison. You and others may dislike the 3 interior. I and others may like it. Whether it is a mistake or not will be determined by the market... which is much larger than the two of us or the entire forum.
Not sure how much thorough debating happens when some important pre-design decisions are made by an involved, highly-opinionated and sometimes right Chief Product Architect and CEO. It would take a lot of courage, and also integrity.
Robin

To me this quote seems to say because Tesla's named successes it must be that they also evaluated the design decisions correctly in this instance.

clearly the company that created the first long range EV that was also attractive with first large screen display, and then introduced the first highly functional auto pilot is actually a bunch of dumb$#!+ yes men who don't actually discuss and evaluate product design decisions.

So that's where I got it.

You and others may dislike the 3 interior. I and others may like it. Whether it is a mistake or not will be determined by the market... which is much larger than the two of us or the entire forum.

It depends on what we mean by a mistake. Is worse usability that is still successful business-wise a mistake or not? The only thing that market success determines is the market success and to some extent acceptability. Even bad usability designs can be successful and good usability products fail.

The analysis of usability pros and cons is a much more specific science than merely market acceptance or performance. I guess we'll see over time.

Agree, BMW has too many things going on, but tesla has NOTHING going on. #firstdraft #oopsranoutofbudget #interiordesignerhadanemergencyapendectomylastmay

• Disagree
Reactions: cdub
Agree, BMW has too many things going on, but tesla has NOTHING going on.

If Tesla designers are listening, can we please have at least a couple of buttons on the dash please. Maybe a green power-on button to start car and a big red one to stop, maybe centered on the dash so it looks symmetrical. Or maybe 4 on-off switches labelled 1 2 3 4 and by tapping the screen we find out the function of each key. A bit like on development boards. That will do. ;)

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: S3XY and cdub
To me this quote seems to say because Tesla's named successes it must be that they also evaluated the design decisions correctly in this instance.

So that's where I got it.

It depends on what we mean by a mistake. Is worse usability that is still successful business-wise a mistake or not? The only thing that market success determines is the market success and to some extent acceptability. Even bad usability designs can be successful and good usability products fail.

The analysis of usability pros and cons is a much more specific science than merely market acceptance or performance. I guess we'll see over time.
Or conversely you could have something that tests way more usable, but is not a market success. Though I am all for usability testing, I think market success is the ultimate scorecard.