Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did the Model S hype live up to expectations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My opinion has to be....No, by a longshot.

1. The nose is controversial and seems to be a love/hate thing. People are going to buy the Tesla because it's a Tesla, not because it has a nose cone or does not. Just as many hated the nose cone. Kind of a non-issue.

2. The LED lights I guess are cool, but will it make a difference in terms of convincing people to buy? Absolutely not.

3. Bio-defense air filtration. Really, if we get to a point where we actually need something like that, we have much bigger problems. What, are Tesla owners never going to exit their cars after a weapon of Mass Destruction was just dropped on us and everyone outside is dying. We'll have to stay inside the car for 2 years while the air clears. Sorry, don't this this having an ounce of impact on sales.

4. Center console. This one, I think makes a difference. Many have said they like the open space of not having a console, but as is common with most Tesla owners, Tesla can do no wrong. If the Tesla has or doesn't have it, it must be right. Those that argue against it do so because they don't have it. If they had it, they'd say people were crazy if they argued for removing it. I think the majority will find it beneficial and appreciate the addition.

5. Door pockets. not that it will make a difference in sales, but certainly I think will be almost universally appreciated. As much as Tesla owners argue that it forces them to keep their cars clean, the majority of us do need to keep things in our car. Having only the yacht floor space forced us to leave all our junk (or necessary items) in open space for it to slide around, especially during launches. Having a place to "put stuff away" will make the interior much more appealing for all but a limited few that don't need anything inside their cars.

Missing items.....

1. What happened to the new paint colors?

2. What happened to the luxury features on the interior? This is the one area I think they failed significantly. While the interior is nice and Tesla owners, again, love it because it's the way Tesla made it, the fact remains that most spending in this price range, expect the interior to be more comparable to higher end luxury brands. I do know people that have passed on the Tesla simply because they prefer the nicer interior of other brands. Adding the Model X seats would have been a nice step to for Tesla to show that their moving in that direction and possibly pull a few more buyers in.

3. Cup Holders....No real change. Sure, you can put a couple of cups in the center console, but I have one with the center console, by the time I have my stuff in there, there's no room for cups in there too. Plus, it's down low, they basically sit on the floor and are cramped in there. Not a good location for cups. Arguable if it's better or worse than the current cup holder locations. This, along with the lack of storage were two of the most loudly spoken complaints with the Tesla. Amazing that they didn't take advantage of this opportunity to fix the issue. Rear cup holders could have been easily added. With a new center console design, they easily could have designed it to have cup holders in a more appropriate location.

4. Fog light / side air inlets. I think since they re-designed the nose anyway, those areas should have been part of the refresh as well as they are with most car manufacturers when the car is updated. They made a huge change by removing the nose cone. Would have been a great opportunity to freshen up the rest of the nose as well.

5. Auto open doors? probably personal preference. Would think that since this car is effectively the same price as a Model X, it should have equal features. Musk claims the X is only priced $5,000 higher because its a bigger car with seating for 6 or 7. Based on the price of the rear seats for the Model S, his comments are consistent with the price difference. So why didn't the Model S get all of the other goodies released on the Model X, short of the falcon wing doors?

6. Performance/Battery size. Most manufacturers, when they offer a "refresh", generally have subtle changes to the performance of he car. In this case, a bigger battery would have been a great addition to lure in buyers on the edge of having range anxiety. Same thing with the power. Tesla owners were promised certain figures for the P85D Insane and P90D Ludicrous and to date, real world numbers still do not meet those promises. Would have been nice if this refresh included the necessary updates to meet those promises with software updates sent out to existing owners to update their cars to meet the promises made when they purchased their cars.

Other than the removal of the nose cone and addition of more storage inside the car, I think Tesla missed boat on this one. Unfortunately I don't think the changes that were made will at all convince buyers that were on the fence about buying a Tesla to finally make the leap. I upgraded from a 2013 to a 2015 because they made changes that mattered (autopilot, next gen seats, dual motors, all wheel drive, true performance option with a Ludicrous performance option on top of that).

Other than for the very limited few that are just going to go nuts now that their car's nose doesn't look the same as the car that will now roll off the assembly line, I can't see any of the changes made convincing current owners to upgrade as they did when the previous new features were released.

Just my 2 cents (well maybe 25 cents) worth!!

This might be for the best. Get the "biggish" (visible) change out there, then continue on the rest of the list. Easier to deal with for someone that recently purchased.

I do what most of above, but I'm not sold on auto-open door idea.

Good points. I'm one of those that never liked the old gaping fish mouth, and I really like the new nose, but still this refresh isn't enough to make me upgrade just yet. Perhaps I should have done that when AP1.0 came out but I didn't and now I don't want to get burned just missing out on 2.0. But I also want a bigger battery and when WK057 leaked the 100 kWh battery in the firmware, I thought we'd at least see that. Just yesterday I had to drive too slow on the great Coquihalla mountain highway, on a beautiful spring day, just to make it from the Hope supercharger to the one in Kelowna (and back), and that's with no air or heat -- forget about it in the winter. The extra 15 kWh would have made that drive so much better. I just don't get all that excited about LED highlights (although if I had them to compare that might change). Give me more range and I get excited. I also want more 12volt and USB plugs, and an inverter for heaven's sake. I'd also like a simple 3.5 mm aux input jack -- even the closed off Apple systems have those! This is a high tech car that makes you pack way too many of your own accessories!

Bio-defense air filtration. Really, if we get to a point where we actually need something like that, we have much bigger problems.

Great line -- it gave me a good laugh.

Last edited:
Oddly, while I really like the nose on our X, I'm having a hard time getting used to it on the S. I think the reddit photoshop (white one that's been circulating for a while) had a better look. Could just be that I need to get used to it. I've been looking at my "gaping fish mouth" (thanks, @Canuck) for a while now, so the brain will take a few looks to get comfortable.

I'm definitely not up for an upgrade for a couple more years. Bring all the fancy you want, Tesla!

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo and Canuck
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo and ohmman
I think this was a pretty light refresh. All the stuff that matter, by which I mean battery and tech hardware, remain the same. The only noticeable changes are the front end, which is completely subjective (both me and my dad think the no mouth look is ugly, on all Teslas, not just Model S), the headlights, and center console. I don't think those are worth upgrading at all, and really I wouldn't feel bad at all if I had just purchased a pre FL version of the car.

The better filter and charger are pretty much gimmicks... The filter is totally marketing BS, as stated above. Most people have 14-50 at home, so the extra amps allowed by the car wont matter. Public L2 charger in my city max out at 30A, so having a car that allows 48 won't make any difference in the foreseeable future (likely expected life of the car).

Overall, I think expectations were too high. People were expecting a 100 battery, when it took from 2012 to 2h 2015 to go from 85 to 90. Has battery tech suddenly changed? People expected 100 simply due to some sort of hash hack, and everyone bought it? Whatever... why? Why would it take Tesla 3 years to go from 85 to 90 but only 1 year to 100? I thought it made no sense. Also a 100 would be more expensive anyways... Like the Model X has gone up to 75, but is 3k more expensive. So won't be a free upgrade.

However I totally thought they would bring better luxury interior to the car, and that didn't turn out. That's disappointing... I don't expect Tesla to make it as good as a S class or Lexus LS, but if someone's already paying 100+k for a car, at least give him/her the option to pay a few k more and get an interior that can match say an Audi S7 (maybe that's still expecting too much).

I think this was a pretty light refresh. All the stuff that matter, by which I mean battery and tech hardware, remain the same. The only noticeable changes are the front end, which is completely subjective (both me and my dad think the no mouth look is ugly, on all Teslas, not just Model S), the headlights, and center console. I don't think those are worth upgrading at all, and really I wouldn't feel bad at all if I had just purchased a pre FL version of the car.

The better filter and charger are pretty much gimmicks... The filter is totally marketing BS, as stated above. Most people have 14-50 at home, so the extra amps allowed by the car wont matter. Public L2 charger in my city max out at 30A, so having a car that allows 48 won't make any difference in the foreseeable future (likely expected life of the car).

Overall, I think expectations were too high. People were expecting a 100 battery, when it took from 2012 to 2h 2015 to go from 85 to 90. Has battery tech suddenly changed? People expected 100 simply due to some sort of hash hack, and everyone bought it? Whatever... why? Why would it take Tesla 3 years to go from 85 to 90 but only 1 year to 100? I thought it made no sense. Also a 100 would be more expensive anyways... Like the Model X has gone up to 75, but is 3k more expensive. So won't be a free upgrade.

However I totally thought they would bring better luxury interior to the car, and that didn't turn out. That's disappointing... I don't expect Tesla to make it as good as a S class or Lexus LS, but if someone's already paying 100+k for a car, at least give him/her the option to pay a few k more and get an interior that can match say an Audi S7 (maybe that's still expecting too much).

More updates are coming. Not immediately, but P100D, etc.

The filter is not BS or a gimmick. It could literally extend your life, if you spend a lot of time on the road. But that aside, at the very least, it should reduce bad smells that are common in the midwest (I don't know, maybe everything smells like roses in California and it's not as big a deal there). Road kill, poorly tuned cars, old diesels, chicken farms, meat packing plants, water treatment plants. Bad smells are everywhere. The biodefense mode, albeit a ridiculous name, should reduce or eliminate a lot of these unpleasant smells.

I'm not surprised this refresh isn't bigger. It's Tesla, so you won't see everything at once. More updates will probably trickle in over time. Plus they have bigger fish to fry -- getting the Model X on track and planning for the Model 3.

As for colors, those were changed up not that long ago, if I remember correctly.

Overall I like the changes.

The nose is an improvement, and one less reason for me not to buy. It's not that I found the cone so repulsive I wouldn't buy it, but rather knowing an important style change was coming had me not wanting to buy into a phased-out look.

Adaptable LED headlights are exciting.

I very much like the center console and slipstream rims (even though those came earlier).

I don't get the biohazard thing, but there it is.

My disappointments are:
- no 360 cameras: I really really really want this
- not thrilled about the price increase
- standard interior dark ash trim makes me want to upgrade
- no new body colors

I think eclipxe is right, that this is a round (albeit a big one) of more changes to come in the near future.

The X just got the 75kwh battery, so I expect that will soon replace the 70 for the S.
The seat change is looming as well.
Different colors will most likely come.

No 360 camera as far as I can see, so may need to give up on that one.

• Love
Reactions: William3 and gsxdsm
The filter is not BS or a gimmick. It could literally extend your life, if you spend a lot of time on the road.

I guess if I lived in LA or NY this would be something that means something to me. But I spend a lot of my time driving my car through the mountain highways in BC's interior and I'd way rather breath the fresh pine forests than filtered vehicle air, regardless of the efficiency of the filter. I just wish the car had vents we could open to allow the fresh air to flow over us without having to turn on the heat/air.

The filter is not BS or a gimmick. It could literally extend your life, if you spend a lot of time on the road.
I guess you're right for those people who spend the majority of their lives in their cars, for the vast majority of people they'll need to get some sort of portable bio filter for the time they are outside of the safe space of their car.

I think the filter is intended for a very specific audience - those living in large Chinese cities. And I think it'll be more than a gimmick there. Where I live in Northern California, I don't think it has much if any use, except on those days that they spread the manure from the dairy farms around.

This currently is an all looks zero substance facelift. Looks nice, yes.

Are we getting excited about a rehashed bumper mold with fewer parts, a plastic storage bin and lights that are better but cheaper to make than the previous version? In a > 100k $ car?

Charcoal filters and air ionizing is not a first in the industry, either.

What about the 100?

I think the 48A charger is a good choice as well. Most properly installed 14-15 outlets are wired with 6 gauge. That's the generally the appropriate size for a 60a breaker as well. Now that the HPWC is less expensive, it's a pretty quick boost of 20%. Granted even 30 is fine for overnight, it's a good benefit for quicker turnaround.

No big deal. More conservative styling, which is a step backward.

This is an improvement if you ask me:
IMG_0881_resized-e1437675066400.jpg

... although the nose should be body color.

Last edited:
I think the 48A charger is a good choice as well.

I see it as a negative. I don't want a car that can only charge at 48 amps (that's means I can't make it to my cabin and back in one day) so I would get the upgrade. Then it's actually a downgrade from 80 to 72 amps. The loss of 8 amps makes a difference when time is of the essence. Plus, more and more hotels are putting in HPWC's at 80 amps. When you arrive with a low battery, and just want to unpack and head out on the town, while grabbing a quick charge, that loss of 8 amps makes a difference. However, the difference between 40 and 48 amps when you're charging overnight makes no difference.

No big deal. More conservative styling, which is a step backward.

I see the gaping fish mouth as a more conservative look since it harkens back to the days of grills and ICE. Whereas the new look is more progressive, grill-less and electric.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaff
Does anyone know if the windshield on the face-lifted model allows radio waves to pass thru? People reported that, in the past, things like radar detectors and toll transponders didn't work inside the MS cab and had to be installed behind the nose cone.

My disappointments are:
- no 360 cameras: I really really really want this

I am beginning to think there will be no improved Autopilot until the full-on V2 comes out - possibly with the Model 3 - and that it won't be an incremental improvement but rather a large leap forward. Indications from various articles about hires seem to be that Tesla is still very much in R&D mode on the next generation autopilot.