Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you purchase a service loaner? 50K mile warranty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
I bought a service loaner from Tesla with 4020K miles on it. Since it was never registered it is titled as new and that is the odometer mileage on the title document.

Is my 50K mileage warranty actually up when the car hits 54K? or 50K?

You'd think I'd be able to get a quick answer from Tesla but I haven't heard back a couple of times I've tried.

...54K? or 50K?

You'd think I'd be able to get a quick answer from Tesla but I haven't heard back a couple of times I've tried.

I would imagine new car warranty expiration is at 50,000 miles or 4 years whichever first.

Used car warranty is either 4 years / 50,000 miles STARTING from your purchase date whichever first or 2 years / 100,000 odometer miles (what you see on the odometer, not in addition to miles from the purchase date).

Since your car is not used title, you are covered by new car warranty, not used car warranty.

If you bought it when it had 40,200 miles then you have 9,800 more miles to go and it expires at 50,000, not 54K.

Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4
I believe Tam is correct. At least that is the way it was explained to me when I tried warrantying my Hyundai years ago. Best bet though would be to get an answer from Tesla, and if you like it, make sure to get it in writing!!

I would imagine new car warranty expiration is at 50,000 miles or 4 years whichever first.

We should look up what the actual warranty says, not what we imagine. Then we’d know for sure. ;)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

When Does the Warranty Period Begin and End?

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is delivered by Tesla to the first retail or corporate purchaser(s) or lessor(s), or the day it is first put into service (for example used as a demonstrator or company vehicle), whichever comes first, and provides coverage for the period based on the specified warranty as described in the Warranty Coverage section of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Parts repaired or replaced, including replacement of the vehicle, under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty are covered only until the applicable warranty period of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty ends, or as otherwise provided by applicable law.

So it sounds like it’s from the date it entered service as a demo/loaner, up to 50k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200 and Tam
I can answer this question...

You need to ask Tesla WHEN the car entered service as a loaner. That’s your warranty start for miles. This is hidden in the warranty fine print. I emailed support @ Tesla to ask and they responded within a couple of days. My car had 10,071 miles on it when we started our lease, however the warranty only goes to about 52,000 as it was put into service as a loaner at around 2,000 miles.
3F0C3876-2CC3-4265-B9B6-23774D76D2A0.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and byeLT4
We should look up what the actual warranty says, not what we imagine. Then we’d know for sure. ;)
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
So it sounds like it’s from the date it entered service as a demo/loaner, up to 50k miles.
Thanks for that. It would appear if they want they could say it ends at 50K (or 50,050 which I think accounts for their default generic 50 upon delivery).
Also sounds like it may not clearly be enforced.

Tesla got back to me via email. 50K
-----
Thank you for contacting us with your question about your New Vehicle Warranty. Your vehicle is protected by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf) for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. You can find more information about the warranty and what is covered here (Vehicle Warranty). If you have any additional questions or need any further assistance, please let us know.
-----