Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diesel Heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, any Tesla model 3 owners who have installed a diesel cabin heater? I found this user story on insideev:

As demonstrated by commenter Stanislav Jaracz in New Jersey, you can install a diesel/petrol combustion heater for less than optimal plug-in driving days.

All the heat you want - all the time; and according to Jaraczs when used in a Mitsubishi i-MiEV, up to 75% more range on those extreme cold days over using your factory heating system.

Video: Utilizing A Combustion Heater In A Fully Electric Car - A User's Story

Hi there, any Tesla model 3 owners who have installed a diesel cabin heater? I found this user story on insideev:

As demonstrated by commenter Stanislav Jaracz in New Jersey, you can install a diesel/petrol combustion heater for less than optimal plug-in driving days.

All the heat you want - all the time; and according to Jaraczs when used in a Mitsubishi i-MiEV, up to 75% more range on those extreme cold days over using your factory heating system.

Video: Utilizing A Combustion Heater In A Fully Electric Car - A User's Story

It wouldn't be as easy in the Model 3 because the Model 3 doesn't use a liquid heating system like the I-MiEV and the Bolt... (The PTC heater is a direct air heater.)

Reactions: Big Earl
I had to add some air to the tires of my wife's benz last night, had to turn the car on to get the 12v to run. After 13 months of limited exposure to a gasoline car i couldn't believe how much the smell of the exhaust bothered me.

For me it’s the smell of gas from my shoes after I fill up a gas car I can’t stand that I never noticed before....

There are many existing threads discussing this:

Gasoline heater for Winter driving?
Winter Performance
Diesel Parking Heater
Liquid fuel cabin heater?
Heating system Model S

I 100% would have added one to my S if I thought it was practical to do so. Will be a must for the Semi, and I suspect will be an option on the Cybertruck.

I can’t see that being a must for the semi.

The heater power needs are going to be the same whether model 3 or semi. Semi has what like 10-20 model 3 batteries? Used up 25% of your 3’s battery warming the cabin? That would be what 1-2% of a semi battery?

Also they could switch to a heat pump which would help a lot. Even my Nissan Leaf has a heat pump.

I installed a propex heater in my camper van and figure that will be a must for the ‘someday’ when I convert my beloved van to electric..

I actually can’t even fathom they would go there with the semi. No way.

Reactions: mongo
I can’t see that being a must for the semi.

The heater power needs are going to be the same whether model 3 or semi. Semi has what like 10-20 model 3 batteries? Used up 25% of your 3’s battery warming the cabin? That would be what 1-2% of a semi battery?

Also they could switch to a heat pump which would help a lot. Even my Nissan Leaf has a heat pump.

I installed a propex heater in my camper van and figure that will be a must for the ‘someday’ when I convert my beloved van to electric..

I actually can’t even fathom they would go there with the semi. No way.
Warmer batteries = more available energy from the batteries. It will be a no-brainer, in my opinion.

Reactions: X.l.r.8