Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in wh per km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i was driving today and noticed that there was a difference in wh/km between the odometer and the energy chart. Any reason for this?

Attachments

• 20190910_162825.jpg
    20190910_162825.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 111
So i was driving today and noticed that there was a difference in wh/km between the odometer and the energy chart. Any reason for this?
Rounding error. I’ve checked a few times, and they match.
No, it's not a rounding error.

They are measuring different periods of use. Notice how the one on the left is "Since 03:53PM", and the one in the energy graph on the right is showing the average during the past 50 km of distance? Those are not the same time periods.

No, it's not a rounding error.

They are measuring different periods of use. Notice how the one on the left is "Since 03:53PM", and the one in the energy graph on the right is showing the average during the past 50 km of distance? Those are not the same time periods.

I started driving at 3:53 and covered 50kms of my 75km commute.during that time so both are measuring the same distance and time.

Not a rounding error, but the trip meter sometimes has some delay on its updating (might update every 0.1mi). You picked a time when you happened to be substantially below the long term average in terms of instantaneous consumption.

I'd suggest driving at a speed which is giving you something close to the average consumption (so something like 100Wh/km rather than 50Wh/km), at a steady rate, for a minute or two, and then take another picture where the short term average is the same as the long term average. It may align better.

I have seen people post that these things align, and I've checked myself exactly once. In general it did align but it may not align perfectly at all instants in time (though I haven't seen something like this).

That being said, this actually seems like kind of a large error - it's about 250Wh over the 50km interval. I can't really see the updating lag cause quite that much of an error for that longer interval.

If you can reproduce this consistently and it never aligns, let us know.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
As I originally stated, I've tested it several times, the two figures will be close enough to be a rounding error, whatever you want to call it, it's within the margin of error, due to the rounded increments of measure, time or distance. Why do people like to make simple things hard? There's no practical difference between 98 and 103Wh/km

How slow are you going to get 100 Wh/km??

103 Wh/km x 50 km = 5.15 kWh
98 Wh/km x 50 km = 4.90 kWh

The difference is 250 Wh, which is like a few km of downhill regen or a few seconds of heavy acceleration.

When I happen to notice near a rollover of my trip to the chart, it is usually below or above by a tad before, then it goes through and crosses over. So for a moment they are the same or cross paths.

Oh, and the trip meter ticks up when the underlying number rounds up to 50.0, so you’re actual distance at that point is 49.95 km. Who knows how the “last 50” is updated and if it’s 100% up to date every second or not.

• Helpful
Usually i am at 130wh/km. There was a bit of traffic on the highway so the car was doing between 80 and 100kmph. Usually i do autopilot at 110 and get 130wh/km

SR+?

I’m similar with ~130-140 Wh/km with AP set at 110-115 km/h.

I have some hills though. I guess bad traffic is good for something, eh? [obligatory “eh” required by international Gen-eh-va convention when conversing with fellow Canadians]

• Funny
As I originally stated, I've tested it several times, the two figures will be close enough to be a rounding error, whatever you want to call it, it's within the margin of error, due to the rounded increments of measure, time or distance. Why do people like to make simple things hard? There's no practical difference between 98 and 103Wh/km

Interesting. I've checked mine several times on road trips and mine are usually pretty far apart. ~10% difference is not uncommon for me.

SR+?

I’m similar with ~130-140 Wh/km with AP set at 110-115 km/h.

I have some hills though. I guess bad traffic is good for something, eh? [obligatory “eh” required by international Gen-eh-va convention when conversing with fellow Canadians]

Yes SR+

Drive today to work was similar. A consistent difference of 250WH over 50 kms.

Attachments

• 20190911_073117.jpg
    20190911_073117.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 56
Oh, and the trip meter ticks up when the underlying number rounds up to 50.0, so you’re actual distance at that point is 49.95 km. Who knows how the “last 50” is updated and if it’s 100% up to date every second or not.

I don't believe this is accurate...Are you suggesting that my trip meter is going to say I have traveled 0.1 miles after only 0.05 miles?

I don't believe this is accurate...Are you suggesting that my trip meter is going to say I have traveled 0.1 miles after only 0.05 miles?

Yes. Try it. Drive 0.1 miles one way, then turn around and go back til you get to 0.2 miles.

0.1 = 0.05, 0.2 = 0.15, ... subject to delays in updating if any.

Everything on the display is rounded. Underlying the trip meter, the odometer is actually ticking off in meters. You can see the odo reading in miles in the API has something crazy like 6 decimal places :)

Yes. Try it. Drive 0.1 miles one way, then turn around and go back til you get to 0.2 miles.

Everything on the display is rounded. Underlying the trip meter, the odometer is actually ticking off in meters. You can see the odo reading in miles in the API has something crazy like 6 decimal places :)

Thought of another easy test. Drive til you see the trip meter get to 0.1 miles and stop. Switch to km.

Does it say 0.1 km or 0.2 km?

0.1 miles is 0.16 km (0.2).
0.05 miles is 0.08 km (0.1).

Yeah, miles are not rounded at the tenths. I measured .1 miles on google earth, my display didn't go to .1 until it actually went .1 miles.

Now whether km is rounded I haven't tested, but miles is not.

And the display updates every .1 of whatever unit for the trip counters, doesn't matter the time.

Reactions: darth_vad3r