Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between M3 SR+ and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having searched and youtube'd the life out of things the past few months, I have found some conflicting reports of the differences between the two and I'm wondering how many things that were perhaps missing from earlier SR+ models might actually be present in current ones.

Admittedly, I have ordered a LR ages ago now it seems but the main reason for doing so was for the AWD but I'm now doing some penny counting and wondering if maybe an SR+ could more or less suit me (15 mile daily commute), so...

What are the differences between the two, taking away the obvious larger battery, range and AWD?

I'm understanding that;
  • the fog lights are different.
  • only the front seats are heated in the SR+ (no big loss there).
  • the SR+ doesn't have the heated steering wheel.
  • the SR+ has a lower end sound system.
  • the SR+ only has 30days of premium connectivity (unsure if that would be a problem).
I have also read that the SR+ doesnt have the same interior illumination as the LR, such as door pockets, steering wheel, foot well, puddle lights?

All comments and wisdom appreciated...

I think performance is the only other thing. As an LR driver, I think the SR+ is probably plenty in that department too. The standard car would have suited me fine in 95% of my use, and maybe cost me an extra few minutes charging at generic rapid chargers on half a dozen journeys in the last six months. I couldn’t refuse the LR as for some reason I still don’t understand it only costs me an extra £180 over the three year contract. Otherwise it would have been an SR+.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I initially ordered the SR+ and then bottled it and went with the LR. I think in all honesty I would have been absolutely fine with the SR+. I think in my particular circumstances what decided it for me is that I was buying the car outright and I usually own my cars for at least a decade and I figured after a few years battery degradation on the LR would be less of a pain as it started with more range. If it was a three year lease I would have definitely gone SR+.

I usually own my cars for at least a decade and I figured after a few years battery degradation on the LR would be less of a pain as it started with more range
I'm expecting the LFP batteries to have much less degradation than NCA batteries and now that Tesla has done a deal with CATL they can get around the patent issues that stopped them using this technology...

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I'd have been happy with the SR+, with Premium Audio.
Rear heated seats and heated steering wheel - unimportant.
fog lights and other internal lighting - unimportant.
I'd have been happy with fabric seats, rather than "vegan" plastic "leather".

So I bought the LR AWD to get premium audio...but I do enjoy the additional "grunt".

You can upgrade your audio by streaming from your phone (via Bluetooth) rather than by using the built in Spotify which has quite a low bit rate. Neither have CarPlay or Android Auto so the system is compromised anyway.

The LR has the wrong battery size and as such doesn’t work with my numberplate. 😃

I have no regrets at all going for the SR+.

Admittedly, I have ordered a LR ages ago now it seems but the main reason for doing so was for the AWD but I'm now doing some penny counting and wondering if maybe an SR+ could more or less suit me (15 mile daily commute), so...

The base range Tesla have always been the best 'value' both interms of purchase price, functionality, and residue value. The only real question regarding range is 'how much is your time worth'. That question is individual and specific, if your work is dependent on you doing 200 miles+ trips day in day out than its a no-brainer to go for the longest range EV you can buy. If you have no home charger I would think bigger range would be better, but for most other situations the difference in journey time between SR and LR cars don't justify the financial difference.

This video is quite interesting, over a 400 mile road trip, 8hr on the road, the difference between the SR+ and LR was essentially 30 minutes of charging. To some people that 30 minutes is worth the extra cost, to others not.

I think its also important to keep in mind just how much range the SR+ car have, I was following a 15 plate Grey Nissan Leaf today on the way home in my 75D X (which essentially has the same range as a SR+ 3). I always get nostalgic following a Leaf since it was my first EV, I had 30% SOC left in the car which translate to 60-70 miles of driving, amazingly thats when I realised by in 2015, 70-75 miles was the MAX range I could comfortably get out of the Leaf at 100% SOC, and yet the Leaf serve me well for 2 years/14K!!

Seeing EVs now been released with 100kWH+ usable battery packs seems pretty crazy when 21kWh usable was the norm. I really find it hard to believe many people really need that much range all the time.

Reactions: Dommmm
I think you're right that for most drives and daily use the SR+ would have been fine for me too, I went for the LR partly because I know I do a few trips a year which would be inconvenient to do with an SR+.

I did one of those trips a couple of weeks ago, the first leg is about 130 miles - no problem for either, but the second leg is about 170 miles and there are only charging facilities around 30 miles from each end; I easily made it in the LR and I probably could have made it in an SR+, but I expect I would have stopped for an extra top up because the weather wasn't brilliant.

When not WFH most of the time either car would happily do my commute for at least a week (maybe two), but at the end of the day it was a combination of the range and a few of the extra bits and pieces that made me go for the LR over the SR+.

I have a SR+ and upgraded to a LR by buying a "Dual Motor" badge and sticking it on the back. No one would ever know....

If you get beaten at the lights just say "my pesky wife put it in chill mode"

Spare Dual Motor badge available.

My LR goes like a rocket... when uxoriously allowed 😝

IMAG1589.jpg

Reactions: davidmc