Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different Door Handles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been doing the standard "I'm obsessed with Tesla morning video consumption" and I noticed something from the reveal. When the Model 3s were revealed on the stage, one of the them had door handles that looked just like the Model S (the one on the far left of the stage, matte finish). The other two (center and right) had door handles that showed off a new shape.

This image captures both versions:
img_6990-png.169931

I wonder if one will prevail or if both will be options?

I wonder if the looks of the matte black one are intended to be the PXXD look?

Maybe TSLA is going for trim levels here, similar to other car makers. As you add motors and battery, you add "tech" or "convenience" packages.

As much as current owners seem to dislike that approach, if they're going for mass market, assembly line production, packaging is the way to go.....

The model S looking door handles are recessed and hinged meaning you press on the left hand side and the right side come out into a traditional handle you can see this around 8:48 from this video not sure how you open the door if you are left handed.

Really hope they dropped this idea. It doesn't seem intuitive. For example as you can see at 8:52 the door handle stays exposed, so at the moment you need to manually 'close' it back

I just watched a test ride video and the door handles open like an Aston Martin. Push at the back and they pop open

Here's the video. Fast forward to 8:45 to see the handler open them.

There's definitely cost savings in this car but it seems it was done in the right places and expenses put into wow factor. There more I look the more I like it.

Tesla has a BMW 3 series competitor on their hands. Exactly what they wanted.

Great catch! When I noticed the revised handle, I was thinking the slimness of it may make it harder to grip. Aesthetically - I like both.

You can't grip something that is flush to the car. Have you not seen the door handles on a Model X? They are just buttons and the door motor opens the door for you. There is no "handle" to grip.

I'd guess the tilting handles in the test ride above are just for the prototype and the Model X handles will be used on the 3.

See Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical? where the prototypes had this aston martin style door handles but the X didn't ship with them.

Last edited:
The model S looking door handles are recessed and hinged meaning you press on the left hand side and the right side come out into a traditional handle you can see this around 8:48 from this video not sure how you open the door if you are left handed.

Lefty here. If using my left hand, I would push with my thumb palm-up and grip the handle from underneath. Or just use my right hand....

Has anyone seen a video of how the 'L' shaped door handles (right two Model 3 prototypes) work?

I love the retractable door handles on the S but, as stated before, they're not super practical or reliable.

As shown in the videos, the Model S looking handles were manual handles that you press and they pop open to reveal a handle. Contrary to what was stated above, the handles do retract a few seconds later.

In a different video that is on the Electrek site, the newer handles were buttons like the X.

I personally like both, and would expect either just the newer version (button press), or both versions as part of different packages.