Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly: I carry Windex and paper towels in the trunk for exactly this purpose. I think the thing I love most about getting a new car every couple decades is that the windshield doesn't have any pockmarks or scratches for the first few months, and I do my best to keep it that way as long as possible.

BTW, if anyone has a recommendation for glass cleaner that is better than Windex, especially for getting rid of the dim film caused by the inevitable interior outgassing, I'd love to hear them. At present, I find I have to do a couple passes with Windex and clean towels before all the smearing of that film is gone.

Others on the forum also recommend carrying bug remover, especially if you have the refreshed design model S (my car) or the model X. The new no-grill fascia accumulates a lot of dead insects over a 500 mile drive. Better to get those off the paint to avoid semi-permanent marks.

I've been using Invisible Glass for years and I find it much better than Windex. It requires slightly more buffing but does a fantastic job. They also make a long handled applicator that is perfect for reaching the giant windshield on the MX. I use the applicator to spread and scrub the solution and then a microfiber towel under the applicator to dry/buff it. BTW it is much more economical to buy the spray bottles instead of the aerosol. Another hint is to set the suspension to its lowest setting to make it easier to reach the entire windshield.

I always have a bottle and the tool, along with a couple of microfiber towels and spray detailer in the hidden compartment below the trunk. That's also where I keep my charging accessories and front license plate (;)).

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Gl...id=1469714299&sr=1-4&keywords=invisible+glass

Amazon.com: Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool, 95161: Automotive

Reactions: m2s2 and CaliX
Used 7:1 ONR (Optimum No Rinse - blue, not green, as the green has wax) to distilled in a recycled pint spray bottle and microfiber this last trip (4 weeks, 12,000 miles). Couldn't get 2 SC stops without the windshield covered in chitinous (tm Bighorn) bug parts.

The wipers don't clean the top 1/3 of the windshield anyway no matter how many blade type changes and the jets are not adjustable.

I did acquire some Invisible Glass after I got back - will see how it does. Have used GlassWow! diluted 8:1 but it is running out and it was one of those products that worked too well to make it in the retail market. Detailers love it though.

1. We had very minor overspray on our MX Signature windshield when new. It was only noticable when looking into the setting sun. Service suggested scraping the windshield with a razor blade, which I did with Windex as a lubricant. Solved the problem 100%.
2. Then, thoroughly cleaned the windshield twice with Windex and micofiber cloths. (NEVER use paper towels. They leave a white die.)
3. Immediately applied Rainex, twice, using micrifiber cloths.

The result is great! Super easy to clean with just water at gas stations. Wipers are unnecessary above 45 mph and work better below that.

CAUTION: some segments of the "glass" behind the windshield are NOT glass and are subect to scratching if not careful.

0294161_1

I just filled up the washer fluid tank with this in preparation to a weekend trip will report back its effectiveness.

0294161_1

I just filled up the washer fluid tank with this in preparation to a weekend trip will report back its effectiveness.
Looking forward to your report. However, the Model-X Manual specifically states:
Do not use formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing, and squeaking or other noises.
BtVtOOO.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy and SMSMD
I use a dry, treated microfiber towel designed for cleaning glass on the inside of the windshield. It removes any outgassing film on the windshield and does a great job on the touchscreen. Using Windex: cleaning the outside of the windshield is very tricky. Always getting streaks.

2. Then, thoroughly cleaned the windshield twice with Windex and micofiber cloths. (NEVER use paper towels. They leave a white die.)
3. Immediately applied Rainex, twice, using micrifiber cloths.

Has anyone noticed that Tesla paint is much slicker than the glass? I use microfiber towels to dry the car after washing and rinsing with DI water. Drying windshield, Pano or windows feels like I'm wiping a silicone rubber surface, but the paint (Corrected and polished by DP Tint in Tustin) offers no resistance at all to the cloth.

Has anyone noticed that Tesla paint is much slicker than the glass? I use microfiber towels to dry the car after washing and rinsing with DI water. Drying windshield, Pano or windows feels like I'm wiping a silicone rubber surface, but the paint (Corrected and polished by DP Tint in Tustin) offers no resistance at all to the cloth.

Totally agree, why is the glass so "sticky"? My microfiber towels will not move against the glass if it is even close to dry, that one of the reasons I gave up and applied Rain-ex to the outside the windshield. Just wondering, has anyone ever put Rain-ex on the inside of the windshield?

Another vote for Stoner Invisible Glass, though Optimum No-Rinse, even at the usual wash dilution, also works great. That said, both solutions really only work well with cool glass (especially true with Invisible Glass). If your glass is warm to hot, either solution will evaporate quickly and streak/film.

I do a lot of highway driving at night so I am constantly splattering my car with bugs.
Call me crazy but I have been doing the following every 6 months. It does take some work but worth it to me.
First I clean my windshield with soap and water when I am washing the car. Then with Invisible Glass.
After this I clay the windshield to get all the micro dirt off. Clean it one more time with Invisible Glass.
Then I put Carnauba wax on the windshield, let it dry and then buff off.
I have not had any problems with the wipers working properly. Also the bugs come right off with a simple wipe of the microfiber towel. The ones that are caked on will come off with little water on the towel.
I haven't had any major issues this summer with dead bugs on my windshield. Now the nosecone is another issue!!!

I do a lot of highway driving at night so I am constantly splattering my car with bugs.
Call me crazy but I have been doing the following every 6 months. It does take some work but worth it to me.
First I clean my windshield with soap and water when I am washing the car. Then with Invisible Glass.
After this I clay the windshield to get all the micro dirt off. Clean it one more time with Invisible Glass.
Then I put Carnauba wax on the windshield, let it dry and then buff off.
I have not had any problems with the wipers working properly. Also the bugs come right off with a simple wipe of the microfiber towel. The ones that are caked on will come off with little water on the towel.
I haven't had any major issues this summer with dead bugs on my windshield. Now the nosecone is another issue!!!
While I'm not so sure about waxing the windshield, I wouldn't call you crazy... I have issues with the Tesla washer fluid causing horrible water spotting on the windshield (and everywhere else) that doesn't wash off, doesn't respond to clay bar, and only seems to respond to my DA polisher with a medium cutting pad. A glass pad would be more appropriate for the windshield, but a small cutting pad and some glass polish gets the job done.

I have since stopped using the windshield washers unless it's an actual emergency. I think the spotting may have something to do with the heat out here or something...

While I'm not so sure about waxing the windshield, I wouldn't call you crazy... I have issues with the Tesla washer fluid causing horrible water spotting on the windshield (and everywhere else) that doesn't wash off, doesn't respond to clay bar, ...

I looked at the MSDS for various windshield washing fluids and found that they all are solutions of methanol in water at 1% to 60%, depending upon the anti-freezing specs of the particular blend, and a little blue dye.

Since MeOH is highly volatile, the only thing left behind by the washer fluid would be the dye, whatever dissolved solids that were in the water portion of the blend and, perhaps, any salts and dirt that were on the windshield before the washers were deployed.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and ohmman