Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disabling TC and other driving aid on my 2021 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That idiot you speak of is why Tesla patched dyno mode. Dude enables it the day after it's announced, goes around one corner and crashes within a second of hitting the gas. The following day or so, the patch was pushed out to disable it again.

The actual racer on the track was able to use it well though and cut some time off his laps.
1639093865852.jpeg

@Sam1 Was the improved lap times compared to Track Mode v1 (no adjustments as I understand it) or Track Mode v2 with which settings? Or compared to no track mode / standard driving mode?

@Sam1 is way more plugged into that part of tesla ownership than I am, but I seem to remember that happening during "track mode V1" not V2. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, though.

Reactions: Sam1
A search finds only this thread where someone ran Dyno mode on a track and improved lap times. They had a RWD, so they had no other way to modify settings. Also, 2 minute laps burning 5% battery, while I tend to burn 4% per minute at an AutoX in a M3P. The point here is the total power output was way lower.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

A Tesla without any driving aids means you will just spin out every time you step on the petal. Seriously. You can find old videos of people bypassing the traction control and they just completely spin out on the road and crash.
Probably true for many inexperienced drivers. IMO, I think Tesla should “relax” the nannies by tuning them vs. a complete disable. By relax I mean they would create a Sport mode that would allow some wheel slip and some slip angle before cutting power. In performance car you should be able to induce a bit of oversteer and feel what the car is doing as you approach the limits rather than the traction and stability systems constantly shutting the party down.

@Sam1 is way more plugged into that part of tesla ownership than I am, but I seem to remember that happening during "track mode V1" not V2. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, though.
correct, it was the first iteration.

<edit> I seen @gearchruncher found a video, and I may be wrong it may have been this guy that cut the times off, and maybe the guy in the performance model didn't see much of a difference. Will try to sort through my youtube history and find it, but it's been almost 2 years so not sure I even have my story straight at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
By relax I mean they would create a Sport mode that would allow some wheel slip and some slip angle before cutting power.
I agree. They should create this sport mode. Knowing Tesla, they would have a different name for it. Maybe something like "track mode" would be a good name. Then, if enough people use it, maybe they would update it and allow the user to fully adjust all the parameters.

;)

That "sport mode" is severely lacking for people that want to have some fun on the snow. I've been begging for it for two years now. Not the full performance track mode, just something to reduce the nannies. I had that on my previous WRX, lots of fun without disabling everything and killing yourself.

Tesla could totally do that for a LR AWD but I am betting they never do, simply because it is one of the "very very few" differentiators between a performance and a LR AWD. There are not many differences between the two cars. Interior is the same. There are a few cosmetic bits.

They likely see this as a model delineator, and other brands do very very similar stuff.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Yeah... maybe the WRX was the exception, it is the step under the WRX STI which is the full-blown performance. Technically the base WRX is a bit like my LR-AWD. The STI had a setting for front-back power distribution which the WRX didn't have, etc. So, I'm saying that Tesla could do like the Subaru line and give me a poor man's track mode :p
I have to say that preliminary testing of slip start in the snow this year seems to be a bit better than last year. This year I think it's letting me slide the backend a few degrees. Last year it was killing all power at 1 degree of slip.,,, talk about anti-climax.

Reactions: tm1v2
I haven't owned an M, but my bmw just requires a short button press to nerf traction control, then a long button push to disable traction and stability control 100%. I thought all of them were like that?
Most E9X chassis cars and earlier had a button to disable TC.

I'm fairly certain that most FXX vehicles other than M models don't allow that. Or at the very least, not to the same level. But, it's been a while since I've been in the BMW game.

I think the only options currently for neutering TC/SC on the Model 3 is from Ingenext or Mountain Pass with the PartyBox.

Yeah... maybe the WRX was the exception, it is the step under the WRX STI which is the full-blown performance. Technically the base WRX is a bit like my LR-AWD. The STI had a setting for front-back power distribution which the WRX didn't have, etc. So, I'm saying that Tesla could do like the Subaru line and give me a poor man's track mode :p
I have to say that preliminary testing of slip start in the snow this year seems to be a bit better than last year. This year I think it's letting me slide the backend a few degrees. Last year it was killing all power at 1 degree of slip.,,, talk about anti-climax.
I drove my WRX STI hatchback with TC+SC fully off all the time. Literally never left them enabled not even for a grocery store run. The car didn't need them at all, so much traction and very very stable + controlled + predictable handling. Also excellent EBD+ABS in the STI, very efficient and stable braking from dry to snow and ice (different from the ABS+EBD in the regular WRX if I recall correctly). I had a device that remembered things like TC/SC off and preferred DCCD settings, it would apply the remembered settings automatically on startup. (The car itself wouldn't remember those settings.)

Model 3 is another story of course. Compared to my STI my M3P has way more torque, less traction, and open diffs. I don't think I ever want TC fully off on my M3P especially with the open diffs. In the snow I do want SC fully off though, or as minimal as possible, and TC backed down enough to allow decent wheelspin while still helping with the open diffs. I'll be using Track Mode for that.

In the STI there were three TC/SC levels if I recall correctly - fully on (default mode), dialed down somewhat, and fully off. Off was truly off. Donuts in the snow were no problem. I also never felt any kind of TC/SC intervention on the track either (with them set to off).

Older WRX and STI didn't even have TC/SC and also didn't need it, I think Subaru only added TC+SC because a law started requiring it. Or because they were adding it to the base Impreza as those kind of drivers began expecting it.

My WRX (2015 and later 2018) had those three modes, and I would always set it to the middle in the winter when driving on the snow. I was more confident in the car's ability then, but I knew the system was still there to prevent ridiculous mistakes if I made one. To me, that is the best thing to offer, especially on a high torque car like the Model 3 AWD.
After having driven the WRX in that mode, it made me remember that our previous standard manual Impreza (2005) that didn't have any traction/stability assistance could be dangerous on the snow. Yes, a good driver will be fine, but in general it's more difficult to drive.

I'm really tempted to get at least a rear LSD for my M3P someday. Especially if I were to ever track it (but zero plans for that, definitely not while it's a daily driver family car). I could feel the inside rear wheel spin when getting on the throttle hard exiting a tight onramp, before TC kicks in. I'm pretty sure an LSD would be a big range hit though. My STI with 3 limited slip diffs could barely roll down a hill in neutral there was so much drivetrain friction.

I have read folks saying that with enough tire and camber that inside rear wheelspin isn't an issue. I'm not going far down that road yet for the same reason I'm not getting an LSD yet - I want to preserve my range for now.

My WRX (2015 and later 2018) had those three modes, and I would always set it to the middle in the winter when driving on the snow. I was more confident in the car's ability then, but I knew the system was still there to prevent ridiculous mistakes if I made one. To me, that is the best thing to offer, especially on a high torque car like the Model 3 AWD.
After having driven the WRX in that mode, it made me remember that our previous standard manual Impreza (2005) that didn't have any traction/stability assistance could be dangerous on the snow. Yes, a good driver will be fine, but in general it's more difficult to drive.
STI is more controlled and better in the snow than a base Impreza or even a WRX. The STI's fancy diffs really do make a difference. Before my STI I had a turbo manual Legacy GT wagon, basically the WRX drivetrain put into a Legacy wagon. The STI was on another level for traction in the snow, especially with the DCCD in a high lockup setting. I used real snow tires on both, though to be fair I think the snow tires I used on the STI were better than what I used on the LGT. I've also rented base Imprezas/Crosstreks (albeit with all-seasons) when I needed AWD on occasion after selling my STI for the S P85.

Can't wait to get my M3P in the snow someday! I think it's going to be good. Won't be this winter though. Man I miss snow driving in my AWD Subarus, soooo much fun (with the right tires). For now I'm having a blast just driving my M3P on dry roads though.

Reactions: GtiMart
@tm1v2 , come up here to Quebec City, snow and freezing rain started way early this year :D
Would the Potenza Sport tires I'm getting mounted on my 18s next week be good up there? 😁

Once I wear through a set of 18" summers I'll switch those wheels to winter duty. Then it's game on for real winter driving!

Edit: Main thing I'm worried about for snow driving in the M3P is ground clearance. It's definitely lower than my STI, and maybe less suspension travel too, at least I hit the bumpstops way way easier on the M3P though maybe that's just the stock springs+dampers. I'm putting on height-adjustable coilovers, I was planning to maintain stock height but now I'm wondering if it's worth lifting slightly. Not sure about the alignment/geometry implications though.

I drove my RWD S in the snow once, with summer tires. That worked about as well as you'd expect...

Last edited:
Oh no! As a visitor you would get a pass but our law requires real snow tires from December 1st till somewhere in March. I would definitively not recommend all seasons in our climate, let alone pure summer tires. I had pure summers on my WRX and when weather would dip under 7C (44F) and wet the front wheels would slip when I backed out of my driveway. Not comforting.