Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointing response from Tesla sales for National Drive Electric Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally understand them not having enough manpower to show up.

The disappointing thing is that I'm going to be at National Drive Electric Week in Syracuse, NY and Binghamton, NY... telling people NOT to buy Teslas because of this:

Change of Policy on Tesla Ranger Service - Page 8

I would think Tesla would make some effort to set policies which allowed them to avoid LOSING sales at these events, but no, management seems set and determined to sabotage sales in the worst and most customer-upsetting way. I can't imagine why.

Why don't you just throw in the towel at this point? You've always been unhappy with Tesla about one thing or the other. Now you're going to show up with your car and actively tell people to not buy one? Life is too short. Sell the car and move on with life to a car that makes you happy.

Why don't you just throw in the towel at this point? You've always been unhappy with Tesla about one thing or the other. Now you're going to show up with your car and actively tell people to not buy one? Life is too short. Sell the car and move on with life to a car that makes you happy.

What a <SNIP>.

The car is great; it really has no competition whatsoever, for several more years at least. It's the *company* which stinks.

I planned to go to these events already before I found out that Tesla Motors had completely screwed up their service plan offerings. I'll show people the car and explain that it's the car of the future, but that they shouldn't buy it today, until the company resolves its service delivery problems. (Unless they really have unlimited money to waste, which some people do, in which case they should go ahead and buy it.)

Hey, I'm long TSLA, but unlike the mindless cheerleader crowd, I want them to be successful by running the whole of their company competently -- not just the engineering department. Which they keep not doing. They can coast on having the best car in the world for quite a number of years, but at some point the atrocious communications, the sloppy handling of legal matters, the disregard for customer expectations is going to catch up with them. Maybe in 2017 when the Chevy Bolt comes out, maybe later. I don't really want them to lose massive market share to Chevy because Chevy has a *better sales & service experience* (!!!!!) but that's a real possibility if they keep this crap up.

Hey, maybe in 2017 or 2018 I'll trade my Tesla in for a high-quality, long-range all-electric mass market car with published service manuals which can be serviced locally. But right now, do you see one on the market? I don't.

The best thing that can happen to Tesla Motors is that they get an *ing clue about customer relations, which they appear to lack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think Tesla would make some effort to set policies which allowed them to avoid LOSING sales at these events, but no, management seems set and determined to sabotage sales in the worst and most customer-upsetting way. I can't imagine why.

Sounds like you're determined to sabotage sales for them ...

The disappointing thing is that I'm going to be at National Drive Electric Week in Syracuse, NY and Binghamton, NY... telling people NOT to buy Teslas because of this:

What a <SNIP>.

The car is great; it really has no competition whatsoever, for several more years at least. It's the *company* which stinks.

I planned to go to these events already before I found out that Tesla Motors had completely screwed up their service plan offerings. I'll show people the car and explain that it's the car of the future, but that they shouldn't buy it today, until the company resolves its service delivery problems. (Unless they really have unlimited money to waste, which some people do, in which case they should go ahead and buy it.)

Hey, I'm long TSLA, but unlike the mindless cheerleader crowd, I want them to be successful by running the whole of their company competently -- not just the engineering department. Which they keep not doing. They can coast on having the best car in the world for quite a number of years, but at some point the atrocious communications, the sloppy handling of legal matters, the disregard for customer expectations is going to catch up with them. Maybe in 2017 when the Chevy Bolt comes out, maybe later. I don't really want them to lose massive market share to Chevy because Chevy has a *better sales & service experience* (!!!!!) but that's a real possibility if they keep this crap up.

Hey, maybe in 2017 or 2018 I'll trade my Tesla in for a high-quality, long-range all-electric mass market car with published service manuals which can be serviced locally. But right now, do you see one on the market? I don't.

The best thing that can happen to Tesla Motors is that they get an *ing clue about customer relations, which they appear to lack.

Just be open and honest about everything.

Lots of people buy condos, houses in HOAs, products from Apple, locked cellphones on CDMA networks, and service from cable and satellite TV networks because they weigh up factors and think that overall the product is worth it.

What a <SNIP>

So the car is great but the company sucks in your opinion. Well they are the only company that sells and services the Model S for obvious reasons. It may be mindless but if you hate the company getting them out of your life will make for a more pleasant experience. If you are trying to get them to improve actively working to sabotage sales will drain their resources and make them suck even more causing your experience to be even worse.

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that here in Colorado, every time Tesla particpates in one of our events, they have to spend several hundred dollars on a permit. This is in addition to paying two or three reps to come out and bring the cars. There have apparently been people going out to ride-and-drive events here lately specifically checking on permits and other behavior. We were even told that we can't mention anything about prices on Sundays, even though we don't work for the dealers since cars can't be sold or promoted on Sundays here. I know Colorado isn't as anti Tesla as some other states, but we're certainly not the best.

Honestly, with all this I'm surprised Tesla participates as frequently as they do.

@AlanSqB - wow, that is nuts. Personally, if you're a private citizen and you answer a question from another human being, that's a first amendment right. I certainly don't brag about what I paid! Maybe you should just have a price list printed out and see if these Big Brothers want to arrest others for reading info!

But back on-topic, I also know Tesla employees who show up to events on their free time (and they don't get much of it), and I understand that their corporate-directed focus is is elsewhere, so like Bonnie, I just enjoy sharing my enthusiasm - I feel no obligation to do it (other than to my right to breathe and the next generation's right to breathe).
If anybody has great handouts that they like to share (informational stuff on the car, EVs in general, etc.) please share them with me. I printed out some stuff over a year ago and stashed it in my frunk (in plastic protector sleeves), but a mouse got in (@ BWI) and chewed them up, so I'm looking for something more current.
Thanks in advance!

I'm actually quite excited about NDEW this year. There are TWO events in Saskatchewan this year (one in Regina, one in Saskatoon), up from NONE last year. I'm taking Lola down to represent (and traveling 850km and 600km, respectively, to do so) even though the events will be tiny; I'll probably have the only EV there. Still, this kind of thing is a big reason why I got a Model S; to evangelize the EV new world order : )

I bet they even have a Model X on-site for test rides/drives. Maybe. Don't know for sure.

This is how people set themselves up for disappointment. The first X deliveries aren't scheduled until the 29th, a week after this event. Tesla has said that the reveal won't happen before the first deliveries. To me, this means, you're at 99:1 odds in favor of the Model X NOT being at the NDEW event. Don't expect any public showings of the X to happen before the 29th.

@AlanSqB - wow, that is nuts. Personally, if you're a private citizen and you answer a question from another human being, that's a first amendment right. I certainly don't brag about what I paid! Maybe you should just have a price list printed out and see if these Big Brothers want to arrest others for reading info!

But back on-topic, I also know Tesla employees who show up to events on their free time (and they don't get much of it), and I understand that their corporate-directed focus is is elsewhere, so like Bonnie, I just enjoy sharing my enthusiasm - I feel no obligation to do it (other than to my right to breathe and the next generation's right to breathe).
If anybody has great handouts that they like to share (informational stuff on the car, EVs in general, etc.) please share them with me. I printed out some stuff over a year ago and stashed it in my frunk (in plastic protector sleeves), but a mouse got in (@ BWI) and chewed them up, so I'm looking for something more current.
Thanks in advance!

I've been at events with CatB - she welcomes interest in the car, does a great job of talking about it, and usually attracts a crowd. On the other hand I find Neroden's attitude mind boggling, as it's completely the opposite of my experience with the company. I've had nothing but the greatest assistance and support from Tesla officials at all levels, but on the other one has to be realistic about expectations.

I approached Tesla to represent themselves at our local event this year (they had come last year). Last year we had 300 people show up even though it rained the entire time. We had Teslas, Leafs, a Ford, even a Tesla /Toyota RAV4 whose owners all took people for rides. Porsche and BMW showed up with demo and static cars. All we asked Tesla to do was have a couple of sales people there to answer questions. They did and brought a couple of model S's to boot.

This year we are having an even bigger event with more sponsors (we aren't asking for donations, they are optional but most companies are donating.)

Long story short, Tesla sales (ran it all the way up the chain to California) has decided to pass on our event because there weren't enough sales generated from last year.

Maybe I'm missing something, I'm just an engineer, but I would think they should show up, if only to represent themselves. Someone please help me understand their reasoning.

Hi Jordan,

As others have said, its not personal. You and your colleagues have been doing a great job in promoting EVs, that's what matters.

I'm sure that this year's event will be even more sucessful than last year. I have sent out mass mailing to our membership letting them know about your event.

However, there is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that there are more National Drive Electric Week events than ever in Florida. This year there are 13 separate events.

The bad news is that there are more National Drive Electric Week events than ever in Florida, meaning that sometimes there is competition for resources.

Tesla is stretched thin and it's possible that they are not in a position to support all these events across the state over such a short time frame.

Regards,

Larry

I'm actually quite excited about NDEW this year. There are TWO events in Saskatchewan this year (one in Regina, one in Saskatoon), up from NONE last year. I'm taking Lola down to represent (and traveling 850km and 600km, respectively, to do so) even though the events will be tiny; I'll probably have the only EV there. Still, this kind of thing is a big reason why I got a Model S; to evangelize the EV new world order : )

Just tell people the honest truth, like I'm going to.

Once they hear about the exorbitant charges for warranty service, they won't buy the car.

- - - Updated - - -

So the car is great but the company sucks in your opinion. Well they are the only company that sells and services the Model S for obvious reasons. It may be mindless but if you hate the company getting them out of your life will make for a more pleasant experience. If you are trying to get them to improve actively working to sabotage sales will drain their resources and make them suck even more causing your experience to be even worse.

That's not how it works. Have you ever read the story of the mule?

The Storyteller Online - Dr. Mike Lockett

Tesla management is like that mule.

Just tell people the honest truth, like I'm going to.

Once they hear about the exorbitant charges for warranty service, they won't buy the car.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not how it works. Have you ever read the story of the mule?

The Storyteller Online - Dr. Mike Lockett

Tesla management is like that mule.

You are free to bash Tesla over the head as much as you want and tell as many people as you want that Tesla is horrible and to not buy their cars even though you love the car itself. If you are successful enough, Tesla sales will falter, the company will go under and then you'll really have problems getting warranty work done. I would think there are more constructive ways to get the management's attention but if you feel sabotaging sales works for you, go ahead. I'm apparently a mindless cheerleader so you understand things on a much higher level. If I was getting ulcers over my anger at Charter cable for example eventually I would just switch to something else. Tesla doesn't make the only car in the world so if they anger you that much, if management sucks and is not trustworthy and the service is terrible most people would walk away at some point. Some people enjoy being in that place though so have at it.

I'm going to the Annapolis event and I'm going to tell it like it is. Tesla has been nothing short of amazing for me even for the most minute issues. But in the end I'm still just going to promote EV's so others get informed and see how much I enjoy this car and I want to meet some of the other Model S and other manufacturer's EV owners. Yes the tesla is expensive to own but we all knew that going in.

You are free to bash Tesla over the head as much as you want and tell as many people as you want that Tesla is horrible and to not buy their cars even though you love the car itself. If you are successful enough, Tesla sales will falter, the company will go under and then you'll really have problems getting warranty work done. I would think there are more constructive ways to get the management's attention but if you feel sabotaging sales works for you, go ahead. I'm apparently a mindless cheerleader so you understand things on a much higher level. If I was getting ulcers over my anger at Charter cable for example eventually I would just switch to something else. Tesla doesn't make the only car in the world so if they anger you that much, if management sucks and is not trustworthy and the service is terrible most people would walk away at some point. Some people enjoy being in that place though so have at it.

When TMC moderators post decidedly unmoderate opinions such as the above, it only reinforces the view that TMC encourages blind, unquestioning lock-step obedience.

It would be far more productive to take the initiative to suggest that the OP send a copy of their comments/less than completely positive feedback to Tesla management *as none other than CEO Elon Musk has requested*. Will it be the first time Tesla has received criticism from an owner? Of course not, and it won't be the last.

By instead using "the sky is falling" hyperbole and the extreme case that the company would fail due to unhappy owners, all that is achieved is an attempt to obfuscate the actual point that Tesla has delivered policies that have caused *some* owners to advise not buying at this time.

In other words, fix the underlying problem - don't create an environment in which the problem only festers due to fanboi/gurlism - *that's* a recipe for failure. *Listen* to what's being said and take the harder path. Or just do what Elon asks.

Either way, this is exactly the type of feedback Tesla needs in order to achieve what we all want - a better ownership experience - and, in so doing, a stronger company that can better fend off the coming competition not for months or a couple of years, but for decades.

Either way, moderators have the opportunity to set/guide tone - as an owner/investor, I would be far more likely to reference TMC to prospective owners if it was simply more... moderate.

Last edited:
When TMC moderators post decidedly unmoderate opinions such as the above, it only reinforces the view that TMC encourages blind, unquestioning lock-step obedience.

If that's the message you got from the exchange, I'm not sure when you stopped reading without injecting a whole lot of personal bias, which I understand can be hard when a person clearly stands on the other side of the fence on an issue.

I also understand people sometimes don't like to be reminded they have other options besides the one/s they are currently making that make them miserable, negative people, which is exactly how Neroden comes across in the majority of his posts. I mean, seriously, if one isn't happy then the logical thing to do is to make different choices that will result in one being happy. Unless, of course, being unhappy has a bigger pay off. On the topic of those posts, Neroden, has never been happy with Tesla the company. We're not talking days, weeks or months here, we're talking years that he's being posting one negative thing after another about Tesla the company. Based on that, I'd say the posts by dsm363's hit the nail squarely on the head.

Moderators are people too (last time I checked, though I'm not sure about AO - he might be Cyborg), and should be free to express their opinions just as you and I are as long as they stay within forum rules. I've not ever seen a moderator encourage 'blind, unquestioning lock-step obedience'.

It would be far more productive to take the initiative to suggest that the OP send a copy of their comments/less than completely positive feedback to Tesla management *as none other than CEO Elon Musk has requested*. Will it be the first time Tesla has received criticism from an owner? Of course not, and it won't be the last.

By instead using "the sky is falling" hyperbole and the extreme case that the company would fail due to unhappy owners, all that is achieved is an attempt to obfuscate the actual point that Tesla has delivered policies that have caused *some* owners to advise not buying at this time.

In other words, fix the underlying problem - don't create an environment in which the problem only festers due to fanboi/gurlism - *that's* a recipe for failure. *Listen* to what's being said and take the harder path. Or just do what Elon asks.

Either way, this is exactly the type of feedback Tesla needs in order to achieve what we all want - a better ownership experience - and, in so doing, a stronger company that can better fend off the coming competition not for months or a couple of years, but for decades.

Either way, moderators have the opportunity to set/guide tone - as an owner/investor, I would be far more likely to reference TMC to prospective owners if it was simply more... moderate.

I am not a moderator of this section. Moderators when they post in that capacity typically post (mod note) in front of the post and state why they did what they did. Otherwise most of us are owners too and have opinions just like everyone else does and are working towards points on the TMC catalog for the elusive pony that was promised years ago. I did suggest that there were far more constructive ways to achieve his goal other than actively going to EV events and telling people not to buy a Tesla while standing next to his Tesla saying how much he loves the car. I seem to remember at least one thread on the forum that is critical of Tesla or points out some issue with the company or the car. Should be too hard to find if you look. Terms like fanboi or cheerleading are equally dismissive. I also own the car and am an investor too so should have the right to have an opinion without being dismissed as a cheerleader or fanboi. Criticism is fine and good. I don't recall anyone saying Tesla is perfect and has never made a mistake. I'm just pointing out that most people when they truly hate a company tend to not want to deal with them anymore. Was just a suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to the Annapolis event and I'm going to tell it like it is. Tesla has been nothing short of amazing for me even for the most minute issues. But in the end I'm still just going to promote EV's so others get informed and see how much I enjoy this car and I want to meet some of the other Model S and other manufacturer's EV owners. Yes the tesla is expensive to own but we all knew that going in.

That's a great way to do it. Explain benefits and drawbacks of EVs. Give an honest assessment of Tesla and how they treat their customers including new service policies that may impact someone's enjoyment of ownership.

Last edited:
Exactly DSM we are all adults here. I'm a happy owner. Are there things tesla could do better? Yes. But I knew all the facts before plunking down 80K for a car. Make your own informed assessments people. /rant