Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get an aswer to this then please let me know as well. I have been goign crazy searching internet , asking the same question on various forums etc. Some say end of this year , others say fall 2024. Also with all the EV competions hottening up do you think these prices will be the same by end of this year ? If not then whatever money we lose by buying now ( HW4 making HW3 obsolete) will be offset by the increased prices.

We do know that the Model 3 Highland refresh is coming later this year. Probably sometime in Q4. That will include HW4 and the add'l cameras it will have as inputs. There are a number of other improvements that are also included in Highland, plus exterior styling changes.

The Model Y refresh, called Juniper, won't appear until Q3 or Q4 of next year. I can't wait that long to replace my totaled MY. If I tried I'd just ensure they put it off until 2025. What I'm hoping is that it won't make sense to Tesla to wait that long to put HW4 into MY. Perhaps they will start putting HW4 into MY around the time Highland is released or soon after. If they were to do this, I'd hope they replace the existing cameras with the new 5 meg pixel cameras now used by MS and MX. If by some miracle this was available late this year, I'd buy one, get the tax credit and keep it for a year then sell or trade in for a Juniper MY. By then Texas GF should be doing the newer colors that Giga Berlin now offers.

Whenever I learn of new info on timing of HW 4 replacing HW3 in Model Y's I will post it back here.

My 2022 Model Y was rear ended two weeks ago and rear Gigacasting was cracked. It will surely be accepted
as a total loss by insurance company. I'm hoping HW4 and new cameras will be added to Y this year but I've
yet to find any clues as to when it will happen for Y.
Sorry to hear of the accident.

Uncertain as to budget constraints but would a low-end X make sense as they are shipping with HW4.

Struggling with whether to buy Model Y now (trading in 2018 model 3) or wait for HW4. Leaning towards waiting.
You’ll never see a lower price than now - they’ll jack prices next year with a new model and when the tax credit starts being depricated at retail point-of-sale. Also, I wouldn’t personally buy a first year model given Tesla’s history of bugginess and quality issues.

Reactions: SactoEVer
Struggling with whether to buy Model Y now (trading in 2018 model 3) or wait for HW4. Leaning towards waiting.
IMHO, if you can wait and you don’t care the possible price change or long wait, I’d suggest you to wait for the new MY with the new design and new HW4. of course, as other mentioned, be aware of the quality issues in earlier productions.

A few weeks ago I ordered MYLR because my current lease is soon over and new car is needed. I know I’ll be mad if the new car after mine has HW4 when mine doesn’t. But this is what it is. Tesla doesn’t play by rules. Those purchased prior to Jan 2023 are mad because the price drops. When buying Tesla, you will always find something good and bad. So just get the car when you need it when you feel it’s time for the new ride. Then enjoy the rides.