Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: HW.4 Suite - Availability, retrofit, suitability etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Matrix headlights would be nice, wasn't expecting those on an Austin LR build - I'm also waiting for 7SAYGDEE5PA15XXXX here. To be delivered within a week or so.
Ordered MYLR last week. VIN assigned A15XXXX (Austin build). Tesla Advisor confirmed that it has HW4 but not matrix headlights. When I asked the advisor what determines if a vehicle is getting matrix headlight, the advisor’s response was “It's just based on what we have in supply at the time!”

Reactions: frankvb

Screencaps for those without a twitter (xitter?) account.

1690846581260.png

1690846609111.png

From what i have read, the connectors are also different, so if they make a retrofit kit, it must also include some sort of adaptor cables, right ?
Probably would require coolant tube adapters or changing the coolant tubes, but all that is possible to do at least. However the original assessment suggested the rigid parts are not compatible, which would make it impossible to retrofit as it would have required a firewall change or the whole coolant section to be changed, which would be cost prohibitive.

Given there is an adapter anyways, they could also create an adapter that uses the old coolant connectors.

Probably would require coolant tube adapters or changing the coolant tubes, but all that is possible to do at least. However the original assessment suggested the rigid parts are not compatible, which would make it impossible to retrofit as it would have required a firewall change or the whole coolant section to be changed, which would be cost prohibitive.

Given there is an adapter anyways, they could also create an adapter that uses the old coolant connectors.
Okay.

With HW4 the cameras are also upgraded, do we know if the new cameras will be a fit for the "old" HW3 mounting positions, if not this would also be a dealbreaker in relations to upgrading.

Last but not least, what would one hope to gain from upgrading, i understand that better camera's might make for better autonomy, but to be honest, i dont think Tesla is anywhere near to getting to the point where it really matters, as long as they want nothing to do with radars and as long as there is no camera in the front, it will probably also be impossible to get the same level of accuracy in relation to parking, as with the USS.

HW4 has provisions for a new radar as far as i read, but i haven't seen any mention of anyone actually getting a HW4 MY, that has had the actual radar installed so not a big deal there.

Okay.

With HW4 the cameras are also upgraded, do we know if the new cameras will be a fit for the "old" HW3 mounting positions, if not this would also be a dealbreaker in relations to upgrading.
All cameras seem to have the same footprint, but the front camera has a different ambient light sensor location. Given this, it seems Tesla would need to produce a new front camera for HW3 -> 4 retro cars, since it's not likely they will replace windshields.

All cameras seem to have the same footprint, but the front camera has a different ambient light sensor location. Given this, it seems Tesla would need to produce a new front camera for HW3 -> 4 retro cars, since it's not likely they will replace windshields.
Next question would be.

Why would Tesla bother to make an upgrade kit, i would imagine they would be better off, asking the people that would care to just buy a new car...And sell their old one.

The old HW2 to HW3 that was essentially just a plugs out, plugs in kind of job (As far as i understand) i get it, but this where it has a different footprint, different hose configuration, different connectors needing adaptor kits, and 8 new camera's, i just dont see them wanting to do this.

Also i would think the price of an upgrade would be pretty high, with new computer, adaptor place, harness adaptors and 8 new camera.

Next question would be.

Why would Tesla bother to make an upgrade kit, i would imagine they would be better off, asking the people that would care to just buy a new car...And sell their old one.

The old HW2 to HW3 that was essentially just a plugs out, plugs in kind of job (As far as i understand) i get it, but this where it has a different footprint, different hose configuration, different connectors needing adaptor kits, and 8 new camera's, i just dont see them wanting to do this.

Also i would think the price of an upgrade would be pretty high, with new computer, adaptor place, harness adaptors and 8 new camera.
FYI Tesla also did complete camera swaps for the HW2 to HW3 transition because the older cameras used RCCC filters instead of the RCCB required. So it's actually not as unprecedented as it seems.

As others mentioned it largely depends on if HW3 becomes a dead end. If it does, this gives Tesla more options.

FYI Tesla also did complete camera swaps for the HW2 to HW3 transition because the older cameras used RCCC filters instead of the RCCB required. So it's actually not as unprecedented as it seems.

As others mentioned it largely depends on if HW3 becomes a dead end. If it does, this gives Tesla more options.
Exactly. I could also imagine a scenario where they upgrade the computer, but not the cameras. This would seemingly make SW development more efficient.

Tesla should be consistant with there car trim specs, give options for HW4, battery size, customers should know & have a choice which battery size, HW in purchased car, just charge more for different options. Whats the point of transferring your FSD, upgrading -when your new car might not even have upgrades specs ( HW4, bigger battery) You’d think thats the whole point of upgrading - yet those features are hidden from customers view, & support is barely helpful

Tesla should be consistant with there car trim specs, give options for HW4, battery size, customers should know & have a choice which battery size, HW in purchased car, just charge more for different options. Whats the point of transferring your FSD, upgrading -when your new car might not even have upgrades specs ( HW4, bigger battery) You’d think thats the whole point of upgrading - yet those features are hidden from customers view, & support is barely helpful
But that's the whole point of how Tesla does things, they don't want to specify it that way, so that it gives them flexibility to switch supply as necessary and keep moving cars quickly. That's the reason for the mixes between the HW3 and HW4.

The reality is most buyers don't care. For the ones that do, they just have to put in more effort to do the research.