Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd love to see 50% off or higher for EAP, especially since it won't work until they tweak the software anyway.
This isn't Reddit so I can't upvote this, or I would. EAP and FSD will be of very little value without USS. I heavily considered canceling, then I remembered the rumored "new HD Front Radar", so I'm curious if 2023 deliveries have had any teardowns yet to confirm. I know in going off topic, but still of the new radar was confirmed, I'd be more likely to be ok without USS. Still, would love a discount given EAP / FSD state without these sensors and having the features unavailable until "whenever".

• Funny
Reactions: c00sebookpro
Doesn’t matter what the launch price was, if Tesla reset the price to that, it’s a much less valuable company and brand. What matters is it’s less valuable today than it was before Jan 12.

You don’t have to buy my argument, just look at available teslas in your area. There’s a glut of $56k+ models in my area, far more than in December. Tesla succeeded in moving tax credit units but overall demand is still bad while pissing offer a lot of recent buyers - that’s destroying long term value.
What you say here about sales numbers is irrelevant to your comment that some how the price drop makes it "less premium". Point is the price point is just as "premium" as when the Model Y originally launched.

But if you want to discuss this topic of sales numbers, looking at anecdotal numbers doesn't really tell you much of the story. I would be very surprised if this price drop did not result in significantly more sales than if they kept the price the same. I guess we'll see how the sales do when the Q1 numbers come out, but Model Y was no slouch even in 2022 (it was the 6th best selling vehicle in the US).
Tesla Model Y Was America's 6th Best-Selling Car Last Year

Reactions: DrGriz
It’s listed on the sales agreement as is enhanced autopilot.

MSRP is the retail price of the automobile suggested by the manufacturer, including options, accessories and trim but excluding destination fees. It isn't necessarily the price you pay.

This isn't Reddit so I can't upvote this, or I would. EAP and FSD will be of very little value without USS. I heavily considered canceling, then I remembered the rumored "new HD Front Radar", so I'm curious if 2023 deliveries have had any teardowns yet to confirm. I know in going off topic, but still of the new radar was confirmed, I'd be more likely to be ok without USS. Still, would love a discount given EAP / FSD state without these sensors and having the features unavailable until "whenever".
The USS sensors are for parking. They are not used by FSD (FSD Beta, NOAP, AP etc). It is true that most of EAP's features use the sensors but most of the parking features are sub standard (ie useless) even with the sensors. I would assume people pay for EAP to get NOAP and Auto Lane change. I can't believe anyone pays that price for Summon and AutoPark...do they??

Reactions: evannole
The biggest issue with the lack of USS is parking front in - there is nothing there that will tell you if you hit a wall or anything. I basically end up backing up as much as possible at this point.

The latest FSD beta gives you a good view of the objects in your area - better than I expected but the one main blindspot...is in the front.

Reactions: c00sebookpro
If Tesla became less premium when they cut prices, did they become more premium when they raised prices?

I think people did think that.

I think there is a segment of buyers who view Tesla as a very premium brand. We see comments of fit/quality/service/low exclusivity/after market support/all looks the same/etc being descriptive terms which are not words you would normally equate to "premium", but for me, the hardest thing making it hard to call it premium has always been wide scale ownership/supply. Tesla maybe a rare thing in Montana, but they seem to be the most common car here probably. Not surprising with housing costs in CA, but really nothing special.

I think Elon wants massive EV adoption which is a fine goal, but that means EVs for the common person which will make it even more common.

When the price kept going up, people probably felt "richer" sorta like with a stock or a house, and now, what you state is some people feeling poorer.

Still admitting super off topic but I'd be fine with $6k over 5 years for some good parlor tricks from EAP. $21k for a "FSD vision-only" beta though? Hard pass. That's all I'll mention since this thread is simply for the discount. I mentioned how I felt simply for context when I was ordering.

But a worthy discussion in the appropriate thread...

The biggest issue with the lack of USS is parking front in - there is nothing there that will tell you if you hit a wall or anything. I basically end up backing up as much as possible at this point.

The latest FSD beta gives you a good view of the objects in your area - better than I expected but the one main blindspot...is in the front.

Are you sure, it doesn't beep or anything when you park front in?

MSRP is the retail price of the automobile suggested by the manufacturer, including options, accessories and trim but excluding destination fees. It isn't necessarily the price you pay.
How does that rebut my statement. I expect the price listed on the sales agreement minus the destination charge to be what the IRS uses as MSRP.

No beeps regardless of front or back parking. However you get a visualization that works well for object awareness but not precise enough for distance measurement. I don’t think Tesla vision will ever get good enough to replace uss for parking (please prove me wrong) - think the 2023 models will just be gimped until radar but it’s manageable. I just don’t drive my car front in unless necessary and back into a spot whenever possible.

• Informative
Reactions: sunwarriors
How does that rebut my statement. I expect the price listed on the sales agreement minus the destination charge to be what the IRS uses as MSRP.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Neither destination fees nor software options are included in the tax credit price cap. I already posted the IRS statement about destination fees. Here is what Tesla says about software on their order page:
fsd-excluded.png

Software options are excluded from the federal tax credit price cap.

I don't know if this agrees with or contradicts your position. My point is there is good evidence that both destination fees and software options are excluded from the tax credit price cap.

I've posted this stuff before. When I linked to the IRS site in my first response to you I had momentarily forgotten that the software info was from the Tesla site. Sorry about that.

Still admitting super off topic but I'd be fine with $6k over 5 years for some good parlor tricks from EAP. $21k for a "FSD vision-only" beta though? Hard pass. That's all I'll mention since this thread is simply for the discount. I mentioned how I felt simply for context when I was ordering.

But a worthy discussion in the appropriate thread...
Honestly I don't even need EAP, I just want Auto Lane Change. Maybe we will get ALC in an a future update like the Stoplight Chime.

100% can confirm there is no beep or warning. I have a 2021 M3LR, so I'm use to beeps and the distance being made available within 30 inches. I almost hit a car the first day I got the MY, forgetting that it didn't have sensors being several months removed of accepting the disclaimer for my vehicle. It wasn't until I got home in my garage that night where I'm familiar with the dimensions that I realized I had no beeps or prompts where I should have beeps and prompts.

What you say here about sales numbers is irrelevant to your comment that some how the price drop makes it "less premium". Point is the price point is just as "premium" as when the Model Y originally launched.

But if you want to discuss this topic of sales numbers, looking at anecdotal numbers doesn't really tell you much of the story. I would be very surprised if this price drop did not result in significantly more sales than if they kept the price the same. I guess we'll see how the sales do when the Q1 numbers come out, but Model Y was no slouch even in 2022 (it was the 6th best selling vehicle in the US).
Tesla Model Y Was America's 6th Best-Selling Car Last Year
Yeah they moved a lot of volume in 2022 but every indication is that demand has collapsed for this car based on the data and their reactions to it. Look at all the cars that sold more outside of trucks, they’re all not premium products. The data you showed is also a reminder that trucks are the most important product in the us auto industry.

Tesla briefly reached iPhone like mass appeal in 2022 that encompassed both the mass market and luxury segments with their products. However I think their latest moves destroyed that - model y is firmly mass market vs aspirational luxury at this lower price point.

But we’ll see what happens in the data in first half of 2023.

100% can confirm there is no beep or warning. I have a 2021 M3LR, so I'm use to beeps and the distance being made available within 30 inches. I almost hit a car the first day I got the MY, forgetting that it didn't have sensors being several months removed of accepting the disclaimer for my vehicle. It wasn't until I got home in my garage that night where I'm familiar with the dimensions that I realized I had no beeps or prompts where I should have beeps and prompts.

Wow, thanks to everyone for sharing. I never knew. We got that in a 10+ year old ICE and figured it's standard in this day and age. Nice to have both honestly, especially since sometimes, we're simply not looking at a camera or I'm busy looking at the side mirrors.

Yeah they moved a lot of volume in 2022 but every indication is that demand has collapsed for this car based on the data and their reactions to it. Look at all the cars that sold more outside of trucks, they’re all not premium products. The data you showed is also a reminder that trucks are the most important product in the us auto industry.

Tesla briefly reached iPhone like mass appeal in 2022 that encompassed both the mass market and luxury segments with their products. However I think their latest moves destroyed that - model y is firmly mass market vs aspirational luxury at this lower price point.

But we’ll see what happens in the data in first half of 2023.
I'll repeat it the third time, this price point isn't even down to the launch price, much less the lowest point. It's simply not a "mass market" price. A $50k+ car is still firmly a premium price point. Sure, plenty of people claim Model Y is not a premium car, but their argument had nothing to do with the price, and it applied even when Model Y was priced higher.

As for the cars it didn't beat, it just shows how well it sold (that it can outsell or get close to the volume of cars that sell a lot less). We saw the same back when Model S came out (it outsold a lot of much cheaper EVs like the Leaf). Outselling a lower end car doesn't make a vehicle any more or less premium.

Reactions: Yelobird and DrGriz