Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you add more to BMW assisted driving being superior to Tesla AP?
BMW has iX (electric) models coming out (smaller range though from what I last checked compared to Ys) and with their AP/AD that would be very interesting. Thanks!
Well, the latest version of Assisted driving is completely hands free at speeds below 80 mph on a highway. So no annoying tapping of the steering wheel every 3-5 seconds required like in Tesla. Plus cameras and road recognition are working equally good compared to Tesla.

Had an X loaner for 2 days while they we doing some warranty work on my '23 MYP. Certainly a much more luxurious feel inside and out. However, it drove like a big heavy SUV, even with the suspension in sport mode. Auto doors were also odd - not sure why they only open 6" or so. Auto close was cool though. I wasn't a fan mostly because of the driving dynamics and was happy to be back in the MYP on the curvy roads home. My wife loved it for shuttling our 3 kids w/ the 6 seat configuration.

Reactions: AJ..
While shopping for a model 3, I'm pleased to see the US inventory of M3 increasing from ~830 to nearly 1000 today. I'm hoping that they introduce the inventory discounts soon but must be patient, as I expect that late November and early December will be the big push for Q4 deliveries. Emptying the inventory might inspire some orders to happen hoping for a delivery before December 31 on both the Tesla and Buyer's sides. I don't want to buy an inventory vehicle or place an order right now, not only because i know I have time before the end of the year, but also because placing an order will likely result in Tesla finding an inventory vehicle that meets my needs immediately. Then I'm done. As I see that trickle charging on Level 1 might work, I think I better have that 240v accessible outside. I'm pretty sure I can make that happen before taking delivery. So I check the inventory every day. Here we are today.
  • Model S - 2582
  • Model X - 3272
  • Model 3 - 994
  • Model Y - 1707
  • Total = 8555
Looking back to Q3, there was a ramp up of all vehicles that peaked around the beginning of September. Will Q4 be the same with peak inventory in early December? The difference is that the Tesla site is now saying that the M3 incentive is anticipated to drop to half on January 1. So, it will certainly make sense for Tesla to begin to wind down production of the M3 in preparation for Highland. Who is going to want an old M3 with half the incentive just before a new M3 is scheduled to be released? You need to really want stalks for turn signals and gear shifting bad. So I'm guessing that M3 sales will be expected to drop through the floor in January. Having too many M3 leftover at the end of December would be really bad for Tesla and their stock I'd think. So maybe they are not planning on producing as many M3 for early December as they did in early September where there was no real urgency besides the quarterly affects on the stock. Q4 requires much more of a balancing act. Make lots of deliveries, but also don't leave too much inventory. As I write this, I'm confident that the prices for December will be at least as low as they were in September. Tesla would love to say, "We can't produce them fast enough." On the other hand, I'm going to guess that most people don't follow the numbers like the people reading this thread. Most people probably won't think through the previous discount levels to this level of detail. They may see the new list price being low and think they better grab one now before more inflation kicks in or the UAW strike affects all vehicle inventory. So the inventory numbers will tell the true story.

My next topic will be paint colors. How many times have they changed the default paint color? And why is black $1500 now when it was $1000 before. Hmm...

1697121897502.png

Reactions: EatsShoots
Inventory continuing to rise. U.S. model 3
At 1051 going into the weekend. It is certainly looking like there could be a repeat of the Q3 prices bottoming out in November-December. It’s hard to be patient, hoping to get a white interior and black exterior paint for free.

North America production​

Any VINs starting 5YJ or 7SA, so will include Texas and Fremont
  • Model S - 2836
  • Model X - 3418
  • Model 3 - 1051
  • Model Y - 1909
  • Total = 9214

China production​

Any VINs starting LRW, which are China only
  • Model S - NA
  • Model X - NA
  • Model 3 - 339
  • Model Y - 293
  • Total = 632

Berlin production​

Any VINs starting XP7, which are Berlin, Germany only
  • Model S - NA
  • Model X - NA
  • Model 3 - NA
  • Model Y - 583
  • Total = 583

ED7555E4-55B2-4DB6-BB13-BEFF76D776B0.png

433C7B2A-ED20-4C23-A159-659B38C4B160.png

IMG_6786.jpeg

I snagged a new MYLR for $4k off MSRP after Q3 on 10/2 after inventory dramatically declined. I thought for sure I had no chance but kept checking daily and a ton was restocked all at one with steep discounts. I’d like to believe they’ll be discounted again before end of Q4 given the new MY refresh coming to the US sometime next year.

This next topic of mine might warrant a separate thread, but it may apply here as it’s about QUANTIFYING DEMO MILES. I am seeing a base config demo M3 with over 2500 miles at something like $1150 off MSRP (currently $39k). It’s the cheapest M3 out there and not something I could even buy, but financially it MIGHT make sense if you assume linear mileage cost. But we all know it’s not linear. Miles on older higher mileage vehicles are worth less. I guess we can currently see with this period of (zero normal inventory discounts) that Tesla values the first 2500 miles at less than $0.50/mile. This may be worth documenting to make a chart with a curve. (If it was linear, a demo vehicle with 78,000 miles might be $0, so we know it’s not.)

2582 miles $1150 discount $0.445/mile
1822 miles $890 discount $0.488/mile
1147 miles $550 discount $0.479/mile
803 miles $380 discount $0.473/mile

There are demo Vehicles out there, some with more miles, but they are not the standard silver color. Discounts are maybe even larger to get them down to the $39k price, but I’m not going to do the math here.

So it seems fairly linear based on the above, and if you can swallow the concept of lots of people hammering on your new car and sitting in it with their dirty hand, feet, and butts farting on your seats and spraying their breath on your dash, buying a demo vehicle could be the cheapest way to capitalize on the government incentives (that you don’t get for a used vehicle). That makes me wonder if demo vehicles do get the credit. Still the first owner. So I’d think so.

No not at all, many folks are upgrading to the model X from previous Y’s ownership especially with a $40k price drop. I had a 22MYP and great car but it not smooth and room as the X. I have a 23 MYLR for my wife and it a rough ride on 19’s . With price cuts it’s win win for all prospective buyers.
Perhaps true now. But once they upgrade the MY next year (safe assumption it will pick up many features of the Highland 3) then the comparison will be more tricky.

Inventory continuing to rise. U.S. model 3
At 1051 going into the weekend. It is certainly looking like there could be a repeat of the Q3 prices bottoming out in November-December. It’s hard to be patient, hoping to get a white interior and black exterior paint for free.

North America production​

Any VINs starting 5YJ or 7SA, so will include Texas and Fremont
  • Model S - 2836
  • Model X - 3418
  • Model 3 - 1051
  • Model Y - 1909
  • Total = 9214

China production​

Any VINs starting LRW, which are China only
  • Model S - NA
  • Model X - NA
  • Model 3 - 339
  • Model Y - 293
  • Total = 632

Berlin production​

Any VINs starting XP7, which are Berlin, Germany only
  • Model S - NA
  • Model X - NA
  • Model 3 - NA
  • Model Y - 583
  • Total = 583

View attachment 982056

View attachment 982055
I like the look of that!

This definitely bodes well for price cuts in the next month.

I like the look of that!

This definitely bodes well for price cuts in the next month.
Timing markets is always a game of “chicken”. Missing out on at least $3750 would probably be worse than not getting a discount on inventory. I just learned that not only is our 2007 Honda Pilot leaking oil, but I discovered that my 2006 Ridgeline is too, even worse. Part of me wants to just say “screw it” and get one ASAP, but must be patient, just about 6 weeks and hopefully inventory is up and their prices come down.

I kept watching US model 3 inventory and it went up above 1050 (1051?) and fell to 983 by the end of the weekend. I see it’s heading back up and Monday isn’t even over.

Last edited:
US inventory numbers certainly on the rise, but really nothing is noticeable yet in the charts. Numbers will have to go much higher to compare with Q3. And what was done in Q3 was apparently a disappointment for stockholders with the share price falling nearly 5% yesterday.
  • Model S - 2847
  • Model X - 3634
  • Model 3 - 1109
  • Model Y - 1933
  • Total = 9523

So the strategy of pumping out lots of vehicles and discounting to sell basically didn’t work. Do they change their Strategy this quarter? Play chicken and assume there are lots of people like me out there that know we better order our M3 soon. Inventory discounts are not the thing that are going to make us buy this quarter. The government incentive is what’s going to make us buy. So maybe M3 and MY inventory discounts won’t be coming. It didn’t work in Q3.

Also, no Cybertrucks will hit inventory for a long time as I understand it. So Tesla could possibly just pump out oodles of Cybertrucks to hit their 1.8M delivery number which apparently only requires 500k vehicles in Q4. I think it was something like 418k in Q3. Pumping out too many models to land in inventory only increases storage and shipping costs. Right? They can pump out just ordered vehicles and maybe hit their number if they can ramp up the Cybertruck deliveries that are supposed to begin in November.

Cybertruck debut could dwarf the other models if they can do it right. It could also end up a monumental failure, in which case they better hit numbers for other vehicles.

Will they put all eggs in one basket?

US inventory numbers certainly on the rise, but really nothing is noticeable yet in the charts. Numbers will have to go much higher to compare with Q3. And what was done in Q3 was apparently a disappointment for stockholders with the share price falling nearly 5% yesterday.
  • Model S - 2847
  • Model X - 3634
  • Model 3 - 1109
  • Model Y - 1933
  • Total = 9523

So the strategy of pumping out lots of vehicles and discounting to sell basically didn’t work. Do they change their Strategy this quarter? Play chicken and assume there are lots of people like me out there that know we better order our M3 soon. Inventory discounts are not the thing that are going to make us buy this quarter. The government incentive is what’s going to make us buy. So maybe M3 and MY inventory discounts won’t be coming. It didn’t work in Q3.

Also, no Cybertrucks will hit inventory for a long time as I understand it. So Tesla could possibly just pump out oodles of Cybertrucks to hit their 1.8M delivery number which apparently only requires 500k vehicles in Q4. I think it was something like 418k in Q3. Pumping out too many models to land in inventory only increases storage and shipping costs. Right? They can pump out just ordered vehicles and maybe hit their number if they can ramp up the Cybertruck deliveries that are supposed to begin in November.

Cybertruck debut could dwarf the other models if they can do it right. It could also end up a monumental failure, in which case they better hit numbers for other vehicles.

Will they put all eggs in one basket?
Down another 10% today.