Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is one of the more silly statements I have ever read. Of course they will be able to sell it. Perhaps you ment to say "you wont be able to sell it for as much as you would have a month ago"?
Well, I guess if you are fine with taking a $15k loss then you could sell it. Just punch any Tesla into Vroom, Carvana, or even CarMax. You will see how low the offers really are. You might as well just donate the car.

Reactions: Jason1652
They will likely adjust your purchase price, otherwise you can walk and get your money back (less the order fee).
Tesla has reduced Model Y and Model 3 prices DRASTICALLY. Now several models will qualify for the $7,500 tax incentive until at least March.

Here is a picture of the price reductions.

View attachment 895084

It is important to note which cars will now qualify for the tax credits and which won’t.

Model 3 RWD qualifies for the Tax credit until March. The effective price for a no option Model 3 RWD should now be about $36,500 after the tax credit.

Model 3 LR should qualify for the tax credit. However, you can’t configure it on the site. You will have to find one already built but not sold to get one.

Model 3 Performance is under the $55k cap now. However, it is not listed on the government website as being eligible. The Tesla website explicitly says it qualifies right now but this may be incorrect. You might find that when you file your tax return in 2024 they deny it because it is not listed as being eligible with the government.

Model Y LR now qualifies. The effective price for it is now about $45,490 after tax credits.😳😭

Resell values have been OBLITERATED! These cars are essentially worthless on the resell market now.

This really is a monumental shift in pricing for Tesla. They were already dominating the market and this can only strengthen their lead.

None of the Model Y Performance cars will qualify for the tax credits but that price is now less than I paid for my 2022 Model 3 Performance($59k).

================================================

(moderator note: In model 3 subforum this will be THE thread on this topic. All discussion on this price cut in this subforum will be moved in to this thread, so there will not be multiples of this topic in this subforum)
I just leased, took delivery of mine on Sunday 1/8/23. So I am out of luck, up the creek without a paddle, right?

Well, I guess if you are fine with taking a $15k loss then you could sell it. Just punch any Tesla into Vroom, Carvana, or even CarMax. You will see how low the offers really are. You might as well just donate the car.

Taking a loss is NOT the same thing as "you cant sell it'. Extreme hyperbole waters down arguments.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
That is one of the more silly statements I have ever read. Of course they will be able to sell it. Perhaps you ment to say "you wont be able to sell it for as much as you would have a month ago"?
Did you see this offer I got this morning? The values really have plummeted that much. This wasn’t the only offer I got in this range either. They are all under $40k now for a Model 3 Performance. I suspect LR and RWD could be less than $30k now even for nearly new ones.

DF5DDB75-7680-4717-ABD9-8B252F94E32F.jpeg

Taking a loss is NOT the same thing as "you cant sell it'. Extreme hyperbole waters down arguments.
Taking a few thousand loss is one thing. Taking a $15k loss is a whole different thing. Nobody would sell their car at a $15k loss to buy another one. Have you actually checked the resell values today? I am not exaggerating how far they have dropped.

The used car auction sale prices are really going to drop. Lowering Wholesale values. Lowering used car prices. People will be trading in their used Teslas to get new ones at the lower price increasing the number of used Teslas on the market. The trade in value of Teslas just went way down. This will leave quite a few people deeply under water in their cars that purchased at higher prices.

When did this change? This is still on the IRS website.

"To qualify, a vehicle must:

You can find your vehicle's weight on the vehicle's window sticker."
You are probably looking at the section that says something to the affect of “If you purchased your EV BEFORE 1/1/2023”.

5DC85CB9-8E47-47A0-91B0-A20AE872108C.jpeg

Outside of the extremely bizarre pandemic situation of the last two years, selling a car to Carvana or a car dealer or trading in a car has *always* been a really dumb way to get rid of a used car, unless your goal is to get the least amount of money possible for it. Dealers have to leave tons of room to mark up. Now that we are coming out of the super bizarre pandemic situation, its business as usual. Sell your car private party if you want to get the most money out of out. Trade in and selling to a dealer ensures the biggest loss.

The used car auction sale prices are really going to drop. Lowering Wholesale values. Lowering used car prices. People will be trading in their used Teslas to get new ones at the lower price increasing the number of used Teslas on the market. The trade in value of Teslas just went way down. This will leave quite a few people deeply under water in their cars that purchased at higher prices.
I got mine ordered before the last price increases. Think I paid 58,900 and then by the time it was delivered my sticker was 65,900.

Current response from Vroom's online appraisal of my current 2018 P3D:

"We are not purchasing Tesla vehicles at this time, and are unable to provide a price for you."

Tesla's appraisal:
Estimated on January 13, 2023

$29,800 - $33,300

Includes value of Full Self-Driving

Carvana quoted $32k, so at least they're still buying.

Last edited:
Taking a few thousand loss is one thing. Taking a $15k loss is a whole different thing. Nobody would sell their car at a $15k loss to buy another one. Have you actually checked the resell values today? I am not exaggerating how far they have dropped.

You said " cant sell it" which is a patently false statement, period. Thats why I called it a silly statement. 'I dont want to lose that much money" is a completely different statement than "cant sell it".