Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While this is true you have to consider where and how people live. Not everyone wants to pay to have a charger installed, solar panels, change utility rates etc etc. Range is the biggest issue as those other vehicles mentioned all get better range with more amenities and interior quality for what you pay.
Range is not an issue provided an always available charging infrastructure along all your routes. Now, when prices of ICE and Tesla get close, I expect more people will actually start looking at Tesla and get themselves educated about EVs, range, charging, etc.

Reactions: ODWms

Be prepared to cry....
Ugh. $34x00 to $38y00. This is for a like-new sub-2500-mile M3P (no EAP or FSD.)

It is normal to be upside-down for the first couple years of an auto loan however and with a new M3P available for $46490 plus taxes and fees, that’s not an unreasonable trade-in value.

Doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck though.

What recession, 200k new jobs each month is a recession? Don't confuse your tesla stock tanking along with worthless digital currencies with the real economy.

Why aren't people buying as many cars than before? Why are less people buying houses? Why are stocks tanking? Why are young adults moving back to their parents? Why are people in general complaining about not being able to afford food?

If we are not in a recession, what kind of economy are we in? Is this a economy "normal"? If 200k new jobs are created every month, why all the gloom and doom? Is everyone just delusional and they should go back to acting like it's "fun times"? Spending money.. buying houses.. eating out... etc... if not why not?

Last edited:
The work around is that you say it went into service on Jan 1. The IRS regulation specifically say "went into service" and not "delivery date". This is the same thing as when you buy a property and rent it, on your Schedule E ( Which is used to report rental income), it will ask when the date it went into service was. So you bought Dec 20th but you rented on Jan 1st so it went into service on Jan 1st.

If you get audited, you'll have to show proof it went into service on Jan 1st.. Great you have a delivery document for 31st.. That's not too bad.

Def grey area tho but possible. I took delivery in Dec as well under an LLC and will be claiming the credit for next years taxes.

Rental makes sense for step 2 of into service. For a car it's when you drive it of the lot, unless you tow it ;) I drove my SR 6/30/19 when the phase out of the last credit began 7/1. I might do it again 3/30 to see if incentives increase like TSLA did last time.

SO opposite problem of OP 12/31/22. I would take a chance though. Worst case you pay it back, maybe interest and waive penalties if it's the 1st time.

Model 3 is a $40k car, and a Y is $45k for the base models. Anybody paying more than that has overpaid.
Those who have owned these vehicles a while after the instant torque honeymoon wears off will agree. I am not dogging on the car, I enjoyed both my Tesla SR+ and M3P. I since sold the M3P to get something a bit more engaging to drive but the SR+ has been a great car. We currently have about 45,000 miles on it and I have only changed out the 12V battery and a set of tires.

Back in 2019 the SR+ was right around $40k less the $3,750 tax credit. Based on the current M3 RWD $43,990 price plus the $7,500 tax credit it is right back to the $36k range it was at in 2019. Tesla was making money on them then, so if the supply chain has sorted itself out and their production costs have dropped since they should still be quite profitable. I assume they are more efficient now as well so should still be making pretty good margin, even on the low end trim.

So, we are basically back to reality on the prices of these cars given the current economic climate. Those who have watched pricing inflate during the supply chain shortage realize what these cars are really worth. Tesla actually had quite an advantage, they quickly and steadily raised the prices and enjoyed the profits. If you compare them to many of the traditional manufacturers, it was the dealers making all the money by adding market adjustments. The MSRPs have increased a bit since but not nearly as much as the dealers were tacking on.

For those that just purchased, sure it stings, but all the buyers knew the price at the time and they were ok with it. That is what makes a market, everyone has a different price they are willing to pay. Sure, the resale value will drop but you don't realize that until you sell.

So, we are basically back to reality on the prices of these cars given the current economic climate. Those who have watched pricing inflate during the supply chain shortage realize what these cars are really worth. Tesla actually had quite an advantage, they quickly and steadily raised the prices and enjoyed the profits. If you compare them to many of the traditional manufacturers, it was the dealers making all the money by adding market adjustments. The MSRPs have increased a bit since but not nearly as much as the dealers were tacking on.

Correct some like Ford were even trying to stop their dealers from jacking up too much "market adjustment" . I'm hoping to see below lot below MSRP soon.

Tesla just burned there new customers from last year bad. Obviously Elon doesnt care about the ship going down. Ill just drive mine now till it dies at this point. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her drop $10,000 on a model in a month.

happened last time there were tax credit games. Also happens ALL the time at a dealer OTD. Eg. my sister pays sticker price for everything. Dealers love her vs I get $10k off as a starting price for negotiation.

happened last time there were tax credit games. Also happens ALL the time at a dealer OTD. Eg. my sister pays sticker price for everything. Dealers love her vs I get $10k off as a starting price for negotiation.

Not comparable as Teslas sell for msrp vs dealing with a traditional dealer. Manufacturers dont drop MSRP $10k on models EVER as it burns anyone who recently bought. Big mistake from Tesla for long term value of a brand.

Those who have owned these vehicles a while after the instant torque honeymoon wears off will agree. I am not dogging on the car, I enjoyed both my Tesla SR+ and M3P. I since sold the M3P to get something a bit more engaging to drive but the SR+ has been a great car. We currently have about 45,000 miles on it and I have only changed out the 12V battery and a set of tires.

Back in 2019 the SR+ was right around $40k less the $3,750 tax credit. Based on the current M3 RWD $43,990 price plus the $7,500 tax credit it is right back to the $36k range it was at in 2019. Tesla was making money on them then, so if the supply chain has sorted itself out and their production costs have dropped since they should still be quite profitable. I assume they are more efficient now as well so should still be making pretty good margin, even on the low end trim.

For those that just purchased, sure it stings, but all the buyers knew the price at the time and they were ok with it. That is what makes a market, everyone has a different price they are willing to pay. Sure, the resale value will drop but you don't realize that until you sell.
I still have my M3P and it’s the cheapest to own car I’ve ever had. All paid off too. Unlike you, I still love the instant torque and tech features. Will probably keep this until a tri motor 3 comes out. Overall, I’m happy Tesla did this as it will drive EV growth.

At the same time, I’m not surprised they did this. Elon said it himself awhile back. A factory that doesn’t produce at full capacity is just losing money. They have a 2M unit capacity so might as well drop price enough to sell 2M units. Makes perfect sense.