Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question, keeping my current custom plates will lower my registration fees? How?
Generally speaking, states charge less for transferring an existing registration to a new car (and the plate with it) vs. getting a new registration and a prorated refund when turning in the old registration.

Add in any custom plate fees the state may charge when getting the personalized plate, this could mean some small savings.

Its the government... No one knows what's going to happen....Heck they can looking at ways to eliminate this version of the Model from the program all together.. I bet the legacy automakers are lobbying hard.. They are getting crushed by Tesla's price cuts to meet program rules..

I don't think they need to lobby. All of a sudden, the IRS is faced with the prospect that significantly more Model 3 and Model Ys delivered from mid-Jan to March will qualify for a $7500 rebate. Let's put that number at 200k vehicles - that's an extra $1.5B, not a small number.

Reactions: geekfam and Bob2C
I don't think they need to lobby. All of a sudden, the IRS is faced with the prospect that significantly more Model 3 and Model Ys delivered from mid-Jan to March will qualify for a $7500 rebate. Let's put that number at 200k vehicles - that's an extra $1.5B, not a small number.
What’s 1.5 billion when we give 45 billion in aid to Ukraine. Drop in the bucket

Generally speaking, states charge less for transferring an existing registration to a new car (and the plate with it) vs. getting a new registration and a prorated refund when turning in the old registration.

Add in any custom plate fees the state may charge when getting the personalized plate, this could mean some small savings.
North Carolina has some advantages
1. we pay only 3% sales tax on the Price of the vehicle (if it involves a trade in car, then 3% is applied on the balance only)
2. NC use a method called "property value of the car and normally it goes to the county

when trade in the car to buy new car, there is a option to transfer the plates and also Property value tax. in this case only $77 is collected as service.
if not registration fees is $267 (i think) , will get a temp plate and with in 30 days dmv mail the plate and also will get the property tax bill which will be higher because of new vehicle MSRP rate

Scenario :
if the used car trade in value is 30k, and used car registration is valid til Nov 30th, and existing property value of that used car is $200
So math will be
54000(assume Tesla Y LR MSRP) - 30000 (trade in value) = 24000*.03 = 720 (sales tax)
Registration = $77
No property bill until Nov 30th

Around October, registration renewal notice (what ever the registration fees) + property vehicle tax (based on the value of the car as of Nov 30th) and expect around $500 for a 50k appraised value

Reactions: Cyclone

Didn’t know that, thank you. Just updated reg info in the app

Anybody have any experience with this in California?

Got the date range narrowed yesterday and today for VIN assigned. Kinda bummed it's an Austin built as I was hoping for matrix. Is there a way you can check the date manufactured? I'm in L.A. so being closer to Fremont means crap.

OD 1/13
Original EDD Jan-Mar
1/18 narrowed to 1/26-2/6
1/19 got EDD for 1/20-1/27
W/B/20 MYLR

Reactions: PewPew
Got the date range narrowed yesterday and today for VIN assigned. Kinda bummed it's an Austin built as I was hoping for matrix. Is there a way you can check the date manufactured? I'm in L.A. so being closer to Fremont means crap.

OD 1/13
Original EDD Jan-Mar
1/18 narrowed to 1/26-2/6
1/19 got EDD for 1/20-1/27
W/B/20 MYLR
I ordered mine on the same day and also have the same config but mine still says EDD 1/22-2/19.
Did you place the order in the morning or afternoon on 1/13?

North Carolina has some advantages
1. we pay only 3% sales tax on the Price of the vehicle (if it involves a trade in car, then 3% is applied on the balance only)
2. NC use a method called "property value of the car and normally it goes to the county

when trade in the car to buy new car, there is a option to transfer the plates and also Property value tax. in this case only $77 is collected as service.
if not registration fees is $267 (i think) , will get a temp plate and with in 30 days dmv mail the plate and also will get the property tax bill which will be higher because of new vehicle MSRP rate

Scenario :
if the used car trade in value is 30k, and used car registration is valid til Nov 30th, and existing property value of that used car is $200
So math will be
54000(assume Tesla Y LR MSRP) - 30000 (trade in value) = 24000*.03 = 720 (sales tax)
Registration = $77
No property bill until Nov 30th

Around October, registration renewal notice (what ever the registration fees) + property vehicle tax (based on the value of the car as of Nov 30th) and expect around $500 for a 50k appraised value
Then you get folks like me, who are in NC that get caught in the complicate spot. I’m not trading in my S and we are instead expanding to 3 Teslas. The Y will get new registration and then I need to transfer just the tag from the S to the Y, putting a regular (or other vanity) plate on the S. I wish I could save a bit here, but no great way as far as I know.

Reactions: geekfam