Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla SA lied to me. Not knowing how the Matrix light looked, I asked him. He "looked" it up on the computer and said I had them.

I looked up some pics and checked this morning and they look like the older style.
Apart from spelling TESLA in light-show they don't do anything else... In fact, @DonnieTC likes non-matrix better...
Enjoy your car, you aren't missing anything really... We don't have anything else to do while we wait, so we agonize over non issues...
Count me as one of the few who is actually glad they didn't get Matrix. I live in the city and when I do on the occasion do an extended drive it's mostly all highway. Even if Tesla did update the software there wouldn't be much advantage for me since I don't really do any twisties. I just think the standard lights look sharper plus no black spots in the low beams 😂.

Reactions: TheSodaSaga
Some perspective:

- Oct 2022 US backlog ended 4x higher than Jan 2023 backlog. Tesla was able to reduce US backlog to zero by end of 2022.

- The last month of every quarter has historically accounted for over 50% of the quarter’s deliveries. Delivery pace will increase every week.

- Q1 2023 Model Y production WILL be more than Q4 2022 (Austin continues to ramp).

- IRS hopefully gives 30 to 60 day waiting period on ev battery material guidance, if they happen to even figure it out.

So high likelihood that all orders placed thus far should be delivered this quarter. Some caveats may exists for low volume configs.

Fair likelihood Q1 Model Y deliveries will qualify for $7.5k credit for eligible folks. Worst case should be at least half the credit for Q1 deliveries.

*still refreshes app for updated EDD every 5 minutes*
Also, if there are cancellations due to loss of $3750, Tesla might drop the prices again, or give you some discounts a-la-Dec 2022

Reactions: Cyclone and Byce007
Apart from spelling TESLA in light-show they don't do anything else... In fact, @DonnieTC likes non-matrix better...
Enjoy your car, you aren't missing anything really... We don't have anything else to do while we wait, so we agonize over non issues...
I'm kinda in-between when it comes to the head lights.

On the one hand, when looking at the headlight itself, I like the non-matrix ones because of the uniformity across. It isn't two reflectors and then a projector. In fact, it looks quite similar to the headlights I have on my 2019 Honda HR-V Touring. I'm not that fond of the projector look in headlights.

On the other hand, the matrix headlight supposedly has better output even without the adaptive controls and what not. And I do a LOT of evening/night driving. So I want the best output I can get.

Yep, I'd be perfectly happy with either but prefer standard. The material is shinier compared to the more matte look of the Matrix and it has a more uniform look (no projector). They really shine under the sunlight and it's the first thing I notice everytime I walk to my car. I think they just really pop!

I just see so many people disappointed (even seen some contemplating rejecting their delivery). They seem to think they're receiving a vastly inferior product. In reality...they're both great headlights! Right now Matrix has no big advantage and even if Tesla releases an update down the road I don't think the fact that they could turn with your car is going to completely change your driving experience (for most people). Be happy, you're getting a great set of headlights no matter which you get!

Last edited:
Whoah! Fremont Austin? Pickup in Seattle?
Happy update to report my fellow PNWers for my fellow white default fans :)

LR, White, Black interior, no options
OD: 1/14
Original EDD: Jan-Mar 2023
Updated EDD: Feb 6 - March 6
Updated EDD (1/30): Feb 4 - Feb 26
Updated EDD (2/6): Feb 7 - 13.. VIN assigned today and picking up this Sat !!! woohoo
This is good news. I ordered same LR white and black interior on 1/14/23. I don’t have a vin yet. I am in oregon

@Pirahna
@Al a Meda
Any updates from you guys?

I believe we are all in the same boat.

EDD: 2/7 - 2/18
Bay Area
White / Black LRMY 19"
No VIN yet.......
Mine is pretty close to that:

EDD: 2/7-2/16
Bay Area
White/White MYLR 19" +Tow
Still no VIN
Last Friday morning my SA told me that a car that was tentatively assigned to my order was scheduled to "come out of production" on 2/7. He indicated that based on that, he thought the far end of my EDD window was trustworthy, and seemed confident enough that he actually talked me out of switching to a red one that was in stock locally at that time (before most people knew the tax credit MSRP cap had changed to $80k). I don't know how much time there normally is between finishing production and assigning the VIN.

Mine is pretty close to that:

EDD: 2/7-2/16
Bay Area
White/White MYLR 19" +Tow
Still no VIN
Last Friday morning my SA told me that a car that was tentatively assigned to my order was scheduled to "come out of production" on 2/7. He indicated that based on that, he thought the far end of my EDD window was trustworthy, and seemed confident enough that he actually talked me out of switching to a red one that was in stock locally at that time (before most people knew the tax credit MSRP cap had changed to $80k). I don't know how much time there normally is between finishing production and assigning the VIN.

Assigning of the VIN happens before production.

MYLR White/Black 19 inch (Base)
O/D 1/15 noon PST
EDD1: 1/26-2/23
EDD2: 1/30-2/14
EDD3: 2/7-2/21
No Vin yet
San Francisco

Test drove a MYLR on 20 inch wheels at Colma on Sunday. Dealership was crowded AF, but got the test drive in for me and the wife. The car was smooth and fast(too fast). Coming to a stop and slow turns will take a while to get used to, but really nice car. Still checking the app and online at least 20 times a day like many others. Fingers crossed that I get it before March.

Reactions: geekfam
Folks such as myself who ordered on 1/17 can take a few weeks break from this forum. Looks like the Christmas is only for 1/13ers 14ers 15ers. No point scrolling up and down hoping to find a 17er reporting to have received VIN. That ain’t gonna happen for a while for us… lol. Apologies for the pessimism.
My OD is 1/17 and received VIN on 2/2. MYLR White/BLK/20” PA

Reactions: TE5IA and rizradmd