Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a number to call so i can talk to someone about switching my configuration? Instead of just texting

I've struggled with that as well. Not sure whether the SA you get assigned is from your local area (only one center in my state presently) but she has not been helpful at all during the buying process or even getting back in a timeline fashion (4-6 working hours) to basic queries..My query on whether I could upgrade to a MYP from my initial MYLR order took a day and a half before the SA got back..and by that time I had already cancelled my MYLR and ordered MYP fearing missing out on the tax credit if I waited any longer...I asked her if I could upgrade/change my configuration for MYP in case there are other combinations that are more readily available and she basically asked to keep checking on the inventory page..Not sure if this was a std/canned response but I do remember something here where a SA told the customer to upgrade to 20" wheels for faster delivery.

Interesting that it explicitly said $7500 going til end of March. I thought that was still ambiguously ‘March’ everywhere official. Wonder if this was just ignorance or if that is real.
It’s to drive up sales because we don’t know exactly when the IRS will make the clarification just that it will be in “March” and don’t know when it will go into effect.
Hopefully April 🤞🏼😝

My vin was assigned late 2/15, but text came 2/16. PA075xxx Austin build. Was able to schedule delivery yesterday with option of 2/25-2/27. Choose 2/27 (in OC too).
Got a text today saying that my vehicle is still in transit and won’t arrive till the 28th and that I need to reschedule for that date. 😵‍💫😐

And I checked my app and they automatically changed it to 2/28 with the same time…..well, now I have to change meetings around. Maybe the storm slowed it down?

Odd, when my delivery pick up options started 3 days prior.

Last edited:
Tesla has all the incentives in the world to push out higher margin vehicles during this period (or at any other time for that matter) of uncertainty..since they would prefer lower margin vehicles get cancelled if the IRS ruling adversely impacts MYP credits. This is why they have no reason to disclose to customers that they will be eligible for full credit even if they strongly believe or know that they will since its allowing them to upsell for the next month or so..

Got a text today saying that my vehicle is still in transit and won’t arrive till the 28th and that I need to reschedule for that date. 😵‍💫😐

And I checked my app and they automatically changed it to 2/28 with the same time…..well, now I have to change meetings around. Maybe the storm slowed it down?

Odd, when my delivery pick up options started 3 days prior.
Tesla let's you schedule a DD while the cars are on transit. I believe the Tesla reps at the location get an estimated date when the trucks will arrive and you probably get to schedule when they are somewhat close. Unfortunately, there can always be delays even when you have a 1 week EDD or DD scheduled.

And yes, very bad weather could possibly delay the delivery.

Last edited:
Ordered 1/14, Gray ext, black int, no extra, 15 minutes from Fremont factory. No VIN yet. Have been watching many people with end of Jan/Feb OD receive VIN and get their cars delivered. Although I am happy for all of you, I am losing patience, not necessarily because of the car not being delivered, but for not receiving any concrete information. Contacting Tesla via text to make sure there isn’t something wrong with my order only returns canned responses.

The issue is that the order date and their EDD seems to mean nothing (It changed 10+ times from the original EDD of end of Jan, and continues to change) and this only causes issues with expectations. Based on the EDD, I had financing ready, which has now expired and wasted a hard credit inquiry for both my and my spouse’s credit. In addition, lost the lower APR loan as rate keeps increasing, and potentially losing 1/2 of $7k tax credit, etc., etc.

Received a text on 2/21 saying, “Great news, we expect your VIN will be assigned in the next 1–2 weeks. Review and finalize your registration, trade-in and financing details in your Tesla app”. Nope. The credibility is already lost and I am not running another credit until I hear something concrete.

Thanks for listening to me venting. That helped. :)
If Tesla delays the delivery of orders placed starting from the fourth week of January, it would make sense.

The immediate orders placed after the price cut are purely based on discounts and tax credits. If Tesla messes up the those orders guiltlessly, we will do mass cancellation of our orders Royally.

Reactions: James2023y
Tesla has all the incentives in the world to push out higher margin vehicles during this period (or at any other time for that matter) of uncertainty..since they would prefer lower margin vehicles get cancelled if the IRS ruling adversely impacts MYP credits. This is why they have no reason to disclose to customers that they will be eligible for full credit even if they strongly believe or know that they will since its allowing them to upsell for the next month or so..
Agree. After IRS raised MY limit to 80k, earlier cheaper orders’ EDDs got pushed out, because people could place more expensive orders, and this actually became a big disadvantage to the earlier cheaper orders.

Tesla is holding a good portion of the cheaper orders hostage, and they want a piece of our $7500 tax credit. If you are willing to share the tax credit(by upgrading your car), then they will give it to you earlier.

My hope right now is that with end of quarter push, they would release more preorders. There’s nothing we can do, but just wait patiently.

If Tesla delays the delivery of orders placed starting from the fourth week of January, it would make sense.

The immediate orders placed after the price cut are purely based on discounts and tax credits. If Tesla messes up the those orders guiltlessly, we will do mass cancellation of our orders Royally.
My opinion is that if the $7,500 tax credit is make or break in terms of affording the car, then its a bad decision to purchase the car.

For me, I'll definitely continue to wait even without a credit because I'm very excited to drive this car and made a responsible financial decision.

I have an order date of 1/17 Seattle area. The basic blue with black no addons, 19" wheels.

My EDD is 3/1-3/29

I contacted the SA and he told me it looks like the system is indicating the first part of March build.

I guess theres a possibility it gets here faster but that at least that gives me an better expected window.

For me I'm expecting mid March for actual delivery if it's built early March and then transported up to Seattle.

I would disagree. For some of these MY configurations, its a 15% discount which is plenty to sway a large number of buyers into the "buy" category from a "pass". This on top of an already discounted MY (If you purchased ahead of the early Feb price increases). I would guess a vast majority of the MY customers placed orders because the vehicle's price minus these two discounts brought it within their affordability range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yomanjm
Agree. After IRS raised MY limit to 80k, earlier cheaper orders’ EDDs got pushed out, because people could place more expensive orders, and this actually became a big disadvantage to the earlier cheaper orders.

Tesla is holding a good portion of the cheaper orders hostage, and they want a piece of our $7500 tax credit. If you are willing to share the tax credit(by upgrading your car), then they will give it to you earlier.

My hope right now is that with end of quarter push, they would release more preorders. There’s nothing we can do, but just wait patiently.
If I choose to upgrade my car today to expedite delivery, I'm concerned that the revised configuration may result in additional delays, particularly if the original configuration is nearing completion ... This is what i believe Tesla might do with my experience so far

If I choose to upgrade my car today to expedite delivery, I'm concerned that the revised configuration may result in additional delays, particularly if the original configuration is nearing completion ... This is what i believe Tesla might do with my experience so far
In your case, I’d just wait it out because they already told you that you can get a VIN within two weeks. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: kcpd
My opinion is that if the $7,500 tax credit is make or break in terms of affording the car, then its a bad decision to purchase the car.

For me, I'll definitely continue to wait even without a credit because I'm very excited to drive this car and made a responsible financial decision.
What's up in the air is the $3,750 credit, i.e. whether one gets the full $7,500 or $3,750.

I sort of agree that if it hinges upon $3,750, maybe the car is not the right car to get.

On the other hand, some people don't mind spending $2K on wheels to make sure they get that $3,750. Hard to follow the logic.

If you are spending $2K, the acceleration boost is probably a better option. And you can use your credit card for that.😁

My deal-breaker is not just losing a portion of the $7,500 tax credit.

I'm offended by Tesla's unfair treatment of early orders, as they purposely delayed them and gave priority to later orders. There is no transparency at any point.