Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are restrictions on cross boarder purchase as Tesla sells directly to the customer and different states have contracts that do not allow to purchase from other states. See the screenshot below. I can find a Tesla in Columbus OH that is eligible only for certain states.

I understand for vehicles that have been delivered. But this vehicle hasn't even gone there yet at least from what I can tell on waitingfortesla.com.. Oh well I guess I will keep waiting and watch for news from the Treasury!

I understand for vehicles that have been delivered. But this vehicle hasn't even gone there yet at least from what I can tell on waitingfortesla.com.. Oh well I guess I will keep waiting and watch for news from the Treasury!
I was in the same situation. Found one showing up when I searched for vehicles in Cleveland OH. Fortunately, the car had not been shipped yet. My SA was able to re-route / ship to IN. Best of luck!

Isn't the assignment of VIN a indication of all Parts are available for build ?

I would not assume that, no. I flew on demand air cargo for a few years, and a large percentage of our business were last minute auto parts for factories. Once, Toyota was actually live streaming our loading and unloading process so they knew the exact moment to turn the factory back on to coincide with the arrival of the batch of half shafts we were bringing them.

So no, parts might not be on hand at the time of VIN creation or VIN assignment to customer.

Isn't it possible to get a VIN for an existing order if you find the exact same config in another state that hasn't even shipped there yet? I tried that this morning and even though they said it was possible on the 888 number they said my local showroom had to do it. When I texted them they said no they could not do that. Is that correct? Should I keep trying to get another SA at the main 888 number? I ordered on 1-22 with ODD of 4/1-5/8 and I see one heading to a showroom... Grrr.
Hey @BobSNC ... we have the same config, similar EDD, same location and close by ODs. I'll certainly be following you. I reckon ours might arrive in the same truck :cool:

Reactions: BobSNC
I've got a very similar order in Raleigh, Blue/Black/19/Tow with OD 1/22. Current EDD still showing 4/3-5/8 for me.
Looks like all three of ours may be coming in the same truck. It'd be interesting to share each other's experience and build quality. Folks from our area who've ordered (5 seater and 7 seater) seem to be getting vehicles from Fremont. After the VIN assigned text, delivery date is 3 weeks down the line.

Reactions: BobSNC
I would not assume that, no. I flew on demand air cargo for a few years, and a large percentage of our business were last minute auto parts for factories. Once, Toyota was actually live streaming our loading and unloading process so they knew the exact moment to turn the factory back on to coincide with the arrival of the batch of half shafts we were bringing them.

So no, parts might not be on hand at the time of VIN creation or VIN assignment to customer.

Just-In-Time production is fascinating. Automakers don't or can't have huge inventories of parts sitting around, so everything they need for production is timed to arrive withing hours or minutes of when it is actually needed on assembly lines.

Several years ago, I toured Honda's Alabama Auto Plant where they build about 1,000 vehicles per day. That's 4,000 tires, 1,250 gallons of oil, 2,000 tons of steel...there's simply no place to store more than a few hour's worth of materials. 24 hours a day, trucks and trains drop off materials and pick up finished automobiles.

Reactions: fhteagle
Looks like all three of ours may be coming in the same truck. It'd be interesting to share each other's experience and build quality. Folks from our area who've ordered (5 seater and 7 seater) seem to be getting vehicles from Fremont. After the VIN assigned text, delivery date is 3 weeks down the line.
Not the same spec, but same area- I have 3 people to follow. Hopefully I will get some update around the time your pickups get scheduled.

Reactions: FanboyNC
Anyone in SoCal with a similar build as mine?
MYLR Blue/Black/19's

SA advised mine will be delivered in Upland CA
current EDD 3/14-3/31 as of this morning
no text about VIN assignment yet

ODD 1/23

I saw a similar build as mine available online being delivered to Irvine but with a tow hitch if anyone is interested, check online!
however, can't justify the tow hitch when i have my truck as well to haul my toys.....

Yep! They have done so in the past (sort of) with older models and FSD for example. Their main focus right now seems to be more about manufacturing process and rampup rather than customer experience / communication. Hopefully since there are a lot more Tesla vehicles on the road these days it should be difficult to just ignore these kinds of promises.

We were assured that removing sensors was in fact the right thing to do but as things progress am now having doubts. Someone earlier mentioned that you should buy the car for what you are getting now not potential future features. While I agree with that post if Tesla promises something setting a customer's expectations and then never delivers seems like that might be an issue especially if the decision to buy was made based on that.

I am still "all in" with my order and Tesla but definitely anxious. For most people these are not insignificant purchases.
4 weeks to my delivery and also somehwat anxious. Park Assist is not vital I guess - just wish they would be honest and say its nbot happning , and that the reason for the £5k prive reduction.