Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IME you're better off going with Carvana or Carmax or any of the online buyers. We have a 2017 Honda Accord CPO EX-L and Tesla offered $15.3k on trade, whereas Carvana is at 17.6 and Carmax is at 17k. I've got local dealers evaluating the vehicle later this week with offers of at least 18k or higher. Make sure to get a few quotes from the online buyers IMHO.

Carmax is technically the same as Tesla with the tax savings on trade in. Carvana is $10k less 😂
I’ll take a look and see if anyone is offering more but I doubt it (2022 Ioniq 5)
I understand the tax benefit of trading in cars but... If your willing to sell the car yourself privately the gain can be substantial! I know you know that, but just a reminder.... I sold mine on Craigslist asked exactly the KBB average retail. Had many inquiries.

I was wondering from your username if you were from Maine! I grew up there actually; nice place! Should be a fun road trip heading there!

I feel like they probably just shoved a bunch of EDDs to random times in Q2, and hopefully will change to be sooner in early April. I can't imagine how the EDD could actually go from 0 to 2 weeks away to suddenly 1-2 months away, unless they're shutting down production or something.
Hmmm this is an interesting theory. Maybe there are April delays due to some updated design?

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoElectric
Happy for you Sam. Did you eventually end up going to the SC to have them help you with this? Looking at your new EDD, it's definitely a re-route as it takes at least 2 weeks to get from Fremont to Raleigh.
Just got a message from Tesla Raleigh to schedule the delivery time on 03/23. Thank you so much for the support !!

Thought this info might be useful for those trying to figure out average dates and milestones:

MYLR Red/Black, no options
OD: 1/20

Order to VIN: 47 days
VIN to delivery: 17 days (if all goes well)
Order to delivery: 64 days
Build to delivery: 17 days

car was built on March 7th In Austin - the day I got the VIN.
Mine was also Austin built on 3/7, but I took delivery 3/15. Location is a big factor.

I was wondering from your username if you were from Maine! I grew up there actually; nice place! Should be a fun road trip heading there!

I feel like they probably just shoved a bunch of EDDs to random times in Q2, and hopefully will change to be sooner in early April. I can't imagine how the EDD could actually go from 0 to 2 weeks away to suddenly 1-2 months away, unless they're shutting down production or something.
Ayuh, we're from Maine. Grew up just outside of Portland but now our summer home is in the western mountains not far from N Conway, NH.

I just completed my post delivery survey and gave them a lot of feedback on their EDD process and managing customer expectations. I actually suggested someone there join this forum and read some of the comments here. It still floors me that on 3/7, the day my car was on the line being built in Austin, they pushed my EDD from 3/10-3/31 out to 4/16-5/21. Then, less than 20 hours later, I woke up to a VIN in my app. We had spent the whole day on 3/7 looking at new ICE vehicles as the 4/16-5/21 window was not going to work as we'd be long gone to Maine. Glad I decided to sleep on the ICE purchase overnight. :cool: I was very pleased with my build. There was one small paint blem near the front of the front passenger door by the rocker panel. I had actually driven my bike down to look at it the day before delivery and found it. A guy was actually getting ready to detail it so I showed him and it was gone and looked fine when I picked it up. They're pushing hard to bolster those Q1 numbers for stockholders so hope you hear something soon!

I understand the tax benefit of trading in cars but... If your willing to sell the car yourself privately the gain can be substantial! I know you know that, but just a reminder.... I sold mine on Craigslist asked exactly the KBB average retail. Had many inquiries.
I’ll look into it, I do have a loan on the car so I would have to payoff the car first.

Which car did you sell?

Agreed! Here's my trade offer from Tesla:
Trade-In Estimate
$40,468

I sold it on Craigslist for $52,500. Almost had people fighting over it. The other issue is that we wait so damn long for these cars that I've seen many on here who got less than the original offer when it was re-priced at delivery/trade in time. My sales tax was $3452, so I netted a gain of $9048 selling it myself.

Trade-In Estimate
$40,468

I sold it on Craigslist for $52,500. Almost had people fighting over it. The other issue is that we wait so damn long for these cars that I've seen many on here who got less than the original offer when it was re-priced at delivery/trade in time. My sales tax was $3452, so I netted a gain of $9048 selling it myself.
Which vehicle was it?

Reactions: Mainuh
It's been a week since my OD (3/14) and my EDD still says April-June. I'm definitely expecting the delivery to be on the latter end of that estimate, but should the EDD have updated at this point to a bit of a more specific time frame? I completed the registration and trade-in pre-delivery tasks but that's it as I don't want to say I'm financing until I have my VIN. Any clarity is appreciated!

It's been a week since my OD (3/14) and my EDD still says April-June. I'm definitely expecting the delivery to be on the latter end of that estimate, but should the EDD have updated at this point to a bit of a more specific time frame? I completed the registration and trade-in pre-delivery tasks but that's it as I don't want to say I'm financing until I have my VIN. Any clarity is appreciated!
State your paying cash, you can change this when your get your VIN assigned.

I have taken delivery of MYP W/W at Plano, TX last Friday. Delivery experience is very smooth and also they have given ample time to check interior or any other detail before accepting. I couldn't find any issues (even minor issues) even though I had a long checklist. So overall its great experience. Drive is very smooth unlike many other complained about MYP. So overall I am very happy with my choice. Good luck everyone else.

Reactions: rjackey and geekfam
Trade-In Estimate
$40,468

Tesla's trade-in offer is usually an undermining one, from my experience, what I've heard from friends and from what I've read in this forum. Tesla offered me $34500 for my 4 year old 4 series convertible, and CarMax offered me $36K. Eventually, I sold it after posting on FB marketplace for $39500. At that time, median kbb trade-in value for a very good vehicle was $38500, and private party value was $40,500. There was no way I was going to sell it for 34.5K or 36K.

Reactions: Mainuh and hp1234
do they wait until the car landed then send out the scheduling text or they do that prior to car landing? I need to arrange my lease return and I dont know how early should i be returning, SA been saying my car will land on 28th and my leased car inspection is up on 31st! there will be no point for me to inspect the car for merely few days if i am returning it early anyway.

leased car inspection is up on 31st! there will be no point for me to inspect the car for merely few days if i am returning it early anyway.
What kind of car, and do you know if you have any equity in the lease that you might be able to use towards the Tesla? You might want to reach out to NYC located Equityhackr and see what they can do. My early lease return went from the contracted $3000 payment to end the lease, to almoist $1300 in my pocket. It took me two days to do it, but that was because i couldn't give up the car the first day.

I still am waiting for my VIN.
OD = 1/30 - MYLR W/W 19" 5 No tow/No upgrades
EDD 1: Feb-Mar
EDD 2: Mar 14 - Mar 31
EDD 3: Apr 10 - May 22
EDD 4: Apr 14 - May 19

There have been no updates other than this. EDD 4 is from March 10th. I've read many posts on this forum and looks like Tesla has no fixed method of assigning VIN.
add your delivery info in signature field as its in mine. That signature will show up after you have 6 posts.

do they wait until the car landed then send out the scheduling text or they do that prior to car landing? I need to arrange my lease return and I dont know how early should i be returning, SA been saying my car will land on 28th and my leased car inspection is up on 31st! there will be no point for me to inspect the car for merely few days if i am returning it early anyway.
They usually do not. My car was in transit when I scheduled it. However, I had to call the pickup location to schedule as the schedule delivery option in the app was disabled. I recommend calling the location and trying your luck to schedule it that way. Also, if it is coming on 28th then there's a greater chance that you won't be able to pick it up before 30th