Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a JuiceBox 48:
$250 NJ ChargeUP program for EV Charger
30% up to $1000 for a Home Charger (Federal Tax - I see no income restriction)

All said and done, I estimate the home charger will net cost < $20 for me. Whatever your preference (fossil fuel environmental, oil geopolitical, consumer economical) everyone on this forum is brilliant! 😅
FYI - the NJ ChargeUP program, apparent, does not include Tesla EV Chargers.

Whomp whomp.

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
I get that they led us to believe it was going to be earlier. I think this has been a frustration for many who never ordered a Tesla before and didn't realize the very moveable nature of those dates. Now I am sort of just like 'whateva'. Sooner would always be preferable to later. If they push me up again I won't be happy.

If after Mar 31st we get an especially bad report which I don't expect, but still if it happens , there will be a few who will cancel possibly bumping some of us up. Some people put money on a car without thinking their situations through and a few of those might pull out before delivery. I imagine it happens all the time for a low percentage of orders.

The main spark to these sales here was the price reduction which is still relatively low even now as compared to '22. From Tesla's end of things they just want to keep pumping out cars. At no point will we ever run out of Teslas, but deliveries take longer and at some point sales will begin to drop off and the stockpile will once again start to climb. Since we are only a few months out from that price cut bubble they haven't made all of those cars. Technically the "price cuts" are still there but not as good as they were in Jan.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, hang in there. It might get better or stay the same, but I don't believe it's going to get worse.
I would hope it can only getter better. :)

Reactions: starise

Whomp whomp.
From what the SA at the SC told me, the Tesla wall connector is Level 2 but Tesla will not open up the Wifi to the electric companies so it does not qualify. I have heard for PSEG in NJ you can try and some have had luck getting PSEG approve what they offer but I guess that is not going to be possible for NJ gov't.

Reactions: imgcs
I would hope it can only getter better. :)
For one thing the media isn't out there like they were a few months back putting out stories that Tesla slashed prices. That media tail has largely died off. For those who followed Tesla, already owned a Tesla, or were considering a 2nd or third Tesla, they knew this was the time to jump in that 1st part of Jan. to get those deals. Those ordering after that were the lucky stragglers. Took me a week to convince my wife or I would probably have had a car by now, but I digress. Another week or two and we would have had to cough up another 1500.00.

It was genius of Tesla to leverage the media in those price reductions and to declare to the other EV makers "this is war". Of course nothing stays in the press for too long, so the story, that while not dead, has lost some of that momentum. This distraction could be an advantage for Tesla to catch up on production, until they throw out the next surprise which I suspect will be updated pricing and changes for the refurbished MY and M3 later in the year. Maybe smaller things like updated colors for Fremont like giga Berlin has. There will be a lag between the times they stop making the current models and retool for the new models. Luckily none of us are stuck in that mess, but we are cutting across Q1 and Q2. I don't think it's realistic of the IRS to make an announcement and expect it to be in place immediately. I could be wrong, but I think this is going to play out over a longer period of time.

Pros to having ordered within the last few months- A good production process is in place in all factories and for the most part very good cars are coming off the line. They want to make as many cars as they can before the model changes Cons- We miss out on HW4 and maybe other future options, but probably at an increased future price. When a lower priced Tesla comes out of Mexico, they will really have no reason to slash MY unless they just want more market share.

Last edited:
Do we all get the message to accept Tesla Vision? I have a M3 and I believe I accepted that when the SW update came for FSD.
Yes, i got it shortly before delivery.

So far the camera based system is working OK. Lane centering is fine, it recognizes most common signs, but not all. It is especially good with cones and garbage cans. Parking assist is OK, a bit on the conservative side (tells you you are closer than you are, so that's good).

AFA backing, I have found that the bottom of the rear camera image on the ground is about a foot from where the car actually ends, so just stop before then. This is especially useful when backing into charging spots.

I do find that my phone key stops working from time to time, but the card itself being RFID means you can put your hamhock wallet near the pillar and it will work.

I am pleased with the efficiency of this car as compared to my old Kona EV. didn't take the hit that I thought. And the AC inverter is much more efficient than the one in the Kona which means more delivered power gets to the battery.

For one thing the media isn't out there like they were a few months back putting out stories that Tesla slashed prices. That media tail has largely died off. For those who followed Tesla, already owned a Tesla, or were considering a 2nd or third Tesla, they knew this was the time to jump in that 1st part of Jan. to get those deals. Those ordering after that were the lucky stragglers. Took me a week to convince my wife or I would probably have had a car by now, but I digress. Another week or two and we would have had to cough up another 1500.00.

It was genius of Tesla to leverage the media in those price reductions and to declare to the other EV makers "this is war". Of course nothing stays in the press for too long, so the story, that while not dead, has lost some of that momentum. This distraction could be an advantage for Tesla to catch up on production, until they throw out the next surprise which I suspect will be updated pricing and changes for the refurbished MY and M3 later in the year. Maybe smaller things like updated colors for Fremont like giga Berlin has. There will be a lag between the times they stop making the current models and retool for the new models. Luckily none of us are stuck in that mess, but we are cutting across Q1 and Q2. I don't think it's realistic of the IRS to make an announcement and expect it to be in place immediately. I could be wrong, but I think this is going to play out over a longer period of time.

Pros to having ordered withing the last few months- A good production process is in place in all factories and for the most opart very good cars are coming off the line. They want to make as many cars as they can before the model changes Cons- We miss out on HW4 and maybe other future options, but probably at an increased future price. When a lower priced Tesla comes out of Mexico, they will really have no reason to slash MY unless they just want more market share.
If the M3 loses the federal tax credit, Tesla may have to reduce prices on that model in order to lever demand as many people may delay due to anticipated 2024 refresh.

If the MY retains full federal tax credit, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla increases the price of the MY lineup by $1K or more. The summer buying season is soon approaching and I suspect there are many people on the fence waiting for IRS guidance.

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
If the M3 loses the federal tax credit, Tesla may have to reduce prices on that model in order to lever demand as many people may delay due to anticipated 2024 refresh.

If the MY retains full federal tax credit, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla increases the price of the MY lineup by $1K or more. The summer buying season is soon approaching and I suspect there are many people on the fence waiting for IRS guidance.
Yeah, I agree. I was mainly thinking MY and not considering M3. They could simply begin sourcing locally made batteries for M3 Won't help them in the short term.
Hyundai/Kia have been lobbying for exceptions in order to be qualified for the rebate. If they get a positive reply it will also influence M3.
It's tough to tell at this point, but I suspect there will be some penalty otherwise IRS would have to back down. M3 is one heck of a nice car for the price and remains a value. Tesla will do everything they can to keep it that way.

Reactions: hp1234 and erktrek

Whomp whomp.

No it does not. Neither does Tesla charger get PSEG install or reduced off hours rate discount. Though I think the Fed Tax does apply.

It pretty much comes down to JuiceBox or ChargePoint to get the credits in NJ. Bought an extra J adapter to leave on home charger.

From what the SA at the SC told me, the Tesla wall connector is Level 2 but Tesla will not open up the Wifi to the electric companies so it does not qualify. I have heard for PSEG in NJ you can try and some have had luck getting PSEG approve what they offer but I guess that is not going to be possible for NJ gov't.
Started the paperwork with PSE&G who does support the Tesla home charger.

Started the paperwork with PSE&G who does support the Tesla home charger.
What do they pay for? Is it just for installation or the actual charger itself?

So, I was looking at the application and I have to buy the home charger first because you have to provide the charger ID or serial number. That is crazy. I do not understand why that matters now? I just want to apply and get approved. I would still have to have the electrician complete a form and then provide all the proof or purchase and install.

Makes no sense. I am not spending $400+ to get denied and then have to return the item and just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the less expensive mobile charger.

Why so much red tape?

Last edited:
I used the JCP&L program. My understanding is that the PSE&G program is more lenient with your choice of charger, including the tesla charger. Although to be eligible for off peak discounts only a small set of chargers qualify for either program.
What do they pay for? Is it just for installation or the actual charger itself?
The utility just covers the installation portion up to $1500. Charger Up NJ pays up to $250 on the actual equipment but only select models (not Tesla). Federal tax credit is available for 30% of total cost up to $1000 maximum credit.

Was getting worried since when I went to bed last night I didn't have a VIN number and have a delivery day of tomorrow. Woke up this morning to find a VIN number so getting ready to pick up tomorrow. Just have to move some snow so I can leave the house tomorrow.
WOW, Congrats. I have same config with 1/22 OD and still no VIN. EDD pushed to mid April-Mid May. Enjoy u r car. Which State are you in?

Reactions: Skunis
Reposting to the intended thread:
In happy news, our appointment for our MYLR, W/Bl, 19" ordered on 01/25/23 was moved up by a day. We picked it up yesterday afternoon in Dallas, and successfully completed our trade-in at the same time. Our worries about the trade-in documents (Texas rules) were assuaged when Tesla handled document signatures electronically, followed by UPS shipment of the signed originals after they accepted the scanned versions. Some confusion because the instructions for Texas in our account said "Do NOT sign title until you get to the Delivery ...", while the texted instructions said "Sign and ship original title....". Signed & shipped was what they ultimately wanted.

Only issue that we found on inspection was a couple of small paint chips that they will fix next week. We went in about 1 hour ahead of our appointment to do a thorough look of. Tons of employees on-site to answer questions. Camera calibration worked smoothly and finished in about 20 miles. Still learning the finer points, but so far, so good. Thanks to everyone for the very helpful feedback.

I've had my P for one week and absolutely love how its smooth acceleration and handling. I love feeling the road as opposed to the lumbering, bouncy ride of my previous vehicle, a 2013 Honda Pilot. The roads that I drive in Arizona are very well maintained. Therefore, the wheel/tire setup and suspension don't adversely affect my P's ride quality and noise. However, I do have to really slow down for speed bumps and dips in the road.

I started with the LR and ended up getting the P. I would probably be more that happy with either. For me, the P offers more pizazz for what I consider to be a VERY fair upcharge. I accept that I'll have to pay more for tires and take a hit in mileage.

Lastly, the Uberturbine wheels are absolutely stunning. The day before I changed my order, I pulled up next to a P, and was won over.
I think you got the last one in Arizona, brother. I’m still waiting in a VIN 🤦🏻‍♂️

I got update today with EDD Mar 30-31st , No VIN yet. Problem is I am going to trip from Mar31st to April 9th. My question how come they give just 2 day window for delivery and without VIn #
OD 1/25/23 , 7 seater , changed to 5 seater on 1/31/23.
Original EDD Jan-March
2/14 EDD Mar 19-Mar 31st
3/5 EDD April 18th-May 21st
3/22 EDD Mar 30- Mar 31st
Updated EDD today to April 11-April 20th , Got my VIN # assign today as well, How to decode the Vin # to know where it is being bulid??