Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! Still waiting in Raleigh OD 1/19 W/W 19" 5 seat. Guess we will see how much longer this takes. Hope is given with your delivery.
Nice to have a fellow Raleigh person here. I have exact similar configurations as yours. OD is 1/30. EDD right now is 4/14 thru 5/19 which was updated on 3/8. Fingers crossed. Hopefully we can get ours soon now.

Reactions: BobSNC and Skunis
Hello everyone. New here. Just placed order. 03/31.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 113549.jpg

6f3e732f-9a15-4d17-ba02-4e0425d259e4.jpg

I’m happy to read that you love it! Bummer that you smacked into a curb like that! Do you do a lot of city curb parking?
Actually no.
It is a freak deal, the drive through at this one business has an extended curb by the window and as I was trying to crowd the window the left front wheel Just did a SLOW scrape for about a 1/4 of the circumference. Just rashed the outside wheel edge- No real damage.

No more schedule slips for me. Picked up my MYLR Blue/Blk/Tow last night in Raleigh. Such a beautiful car. I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I am very happy. It was a long wait but eventually it made it. Got the latest software update (2023.6.9) this morning. Vision Park Assist doesn't seem to work for me though. I guess time will tell on how this Vision system works. View attachment 923378Hoping you each get your car as soon as possible and that your car is all you hoped it would be.
Happy you got it. Hope @davemc also picked up his. @Amhappy any luck with yours yet?

td;dr: Might have to forfeit current VIN. Anyone have insight on VIN reassignment timeline? Will I be placed at the end of the queue (April-June delivery) or will I be reassigned the next available VIN that matches my configuration?

Context: EDD was between 3/19-3/25. I got a text yesterday, 3/13, evening saying that the car is ready and prompting me to arrange pickup. Got another text this morning saying that if I don't schedule pickup by tomorrow the VIN is being reassigned. I'm away at the moment and can't make their 3-day window. Local store rep isn't willing to put a hold on it or even honor the EDD window I had planned around.

I'm pretty annoyed about the situation. Looks like I'm going to lose this VIN, potentially lose out on the tax credit, and potentially lose out on the low interest rate financing I had secured. They should at least respect the EDD...
Update on the Tesla saga. First VIN was reassigned to someone else. We almost caved to panic buying and considered upgrading to the Performance but ultimately decided to wait things out. That paid off as we just got a new VIN assigned with a projected pickup date of April 9-15. So unless this VIN gets damaged in transit or the delivery gets delayed, we'll be in the clear. But even then, I'm confident that the MY will continue to qualify for the credit beyond the updated 4/18 cutoff date.

Stay the course, y'all! 🤜🤛

Edit: I forgot to mention, for those curious, both VINs are Austin builds despite being located in CA. 🤷🏻‍♂️ MYLR MSM no other upgrades.

Last edited:
Haven't posted an update in a while, because last Saturday (the day before my delivery appointment) I woke up and had a text message saying my Model Y had been "slightly" delayed in transit and they were moving my delivery appointment to today. I've been stressed about another delay all week, but fortunately nothing else happened. I picked up the vehicle at the Raleigh sales center during lunch and it was a pleasant experience. They had 3 or 4 people at the delivery desk helping customers sign documents and get their keys, and then a few other folks roaming the lot helping customers as they inspected their vehicles. No pressure to hurry up and get out of there - they let me look it over as long as I wanted. The only issue I found was a small amount of adhesive on the rear liftgate, which they quickly cleaned off for me. Good luck to all those who have yet to take delivery of their Model Y. I hope everything goes well for you!

Update on the Tesla saga. First VIN was reassigned to someone else. We almost caved to panic buying and considered upgrading to the Performance but ultimately decided to wait things out. That paid off as we just got a new VIN assigned with a projected pickup date of April 9-15. So unless this VIN gets damaged in transit or the delivery gets delayed, we'll be in the clear. But even then, I'm confident that the MY will continue to qualify for the credit beyond the updated 4/18 cutoff date.

Stay the course, y'all! 🤜🤛

Edit: I forgot to mention, for those curious, both VINs are Austin builds despite being located in CA. 🤷🏻‍♂️ MYLR MSM no other upgrades.
If you are in the Bay Area, there is a MSM/Blk/19 MYLR in inventory. You can probably pick it up this weekend. :)

Happy you got it. Hope @davemc also picked up his. @Amhappy any luck with yours yet?

Not yet unfortunately. I've got a appointment scheduled for this evening, but I don't have high confidence it will happen or not. I was in the service center yesterday and it was still in Alabama scheduled to come to Raleigh tonight. I'm hoping it makes it, but we'll see. They haven't called/texted to reschedule me yet so perhaps it is a good sign.

Reactions: FanboyNC and BobSNC
I wonder how many people are going to switch back from MYP to MYLR if they ordered the MYP just to get an earlier delivery for the tax credit.

I'm certainly considering it!
Based on the likelihood of the MY continuing to qualify for at least half the credit, the question really just comes down to whether or not you value and want the features of the MYP and don't mind paying for the upfront cost to upgrade + any ongoing cost differences between the MYLR and MYP (such as tires). For me personally, the potential savings were worth more than the pros and cons of MYP so I chose to gamble.

If you are in the Bay Area, there is a MSM/Blk/19 MYLR in inventory. You can probably pick it up this weekend. :)
Ooof that's tempting, but I already got third-party financing worked out for a particular VIN. The check is supposed to arrive today. That's a good point though, would I be able to show up with this check and purchase this other VIN? Everything in the contract with my CU would remain exactly the same, except for the VIN number. And they approved me for the amount without ever even knowing the VIN; they just found that out 2 days ago. 🤔

I wonder how many people are going to switch back from MYP to MYLR if they ordered the MYP just to get an earlier delivery for the tax credit.

I'm certainly considering it!
I wouldn't do it because come 4.18 who knows what kind of surprise you're going to get hit with. I would get your MYP delivered as soon as it becomes available because this whole EV full/partial tax credit still seems unclear to me since there isn't any official document from Tesla outlining 23' MYLR and MYP's battery material resource. Although everything points to the direction that ALL 23' MYLR and MYP will get the full EV tax credit.

Reactions: erktrek
Haven't posted an update in a while, because last Saturday (the day before my delivery appointment) I woke up and had a text message saying my Model Y had been "slightly" delayed in transit and they were moving my delivery appointment to today. I've been stressed about another delay all week, but fortunately nothing else happened. I picked up the vehicle at the Raleigh sales center during lunch and it was a pleasant experience. They had 3 or 4 people at the delivery desk helping customers sign documents and get their keys, and then a few other folks roaming the lot helping customers as they inspected their vehicles. No pressure to hurry up and get out of there - they let me look it over as long as I wanted. The only issue I found was a small amount of adhesive on the rear liftgate, which they quickly cleaned off for me. Good luck to all those who have yet to take delivery of their Model Y. I hope everything goes well for you!
Great to hear. Also in Raleigh with an OD of 1/19 so I am hoping it is sooner rather than later for me.

So my tentative delivery date for today got rescheduled for tomorrow at 11am. Still no ViN. At 3pm I got a text said they would go ahead and reschedule for 4pm Instead of 11 am. So I texted back and said I don’t see how it would happen and should they go ahead and resc for Thur Mar 30 or Friday Mar 31. They immediately texted back said I was right and they rescheduled for Friday. I hope I won’t jinx myself 😂
I think I just jinxed myself. We was on our way to pickup the car, a text message came say Tesla rescheduled my delivery ftom 4pm Gilroy to 6pm Fremont. Calling Fremont center and ask “Ate you sure you have the car”. The rep said “oh we plan to make your car in the next couple hours or so. Please don’t leave til we call you” 😂🤣 ohh the blessings and the curses for living closed to Fremont factory

So I have a question... I just placed my order today this morning as I posted above and now I just received a notice that my VIN has been assigned and my estimated delivery date has been updated to March 31 - April 7. WTF? I was expecting this to take at least 2-3 months. I am not at all ready to take delivery but how is this even possible when so many others are still waiting??

Edit: Just received a call and a text that I could pick up the Tesla I ordered tonight. LMAO. I just ordered this morning! I don't have anything at all ready to go since I was expecting on waiting for a while.

Last edited:
So I have a question... I just placed my order today this morning as I posted above and now I just received a notice that my VIN has been assigned and my estimated delivery date has been updated to March 31 - April 7. WTF? I was expecting this to take at least 2-3 months. I am not at all ready to take delivery but how is this even possible when so many others are still waiting??

Edit: Just received a call and a text that I could pick up the Tesla I ordered tonight. LMAO. I just ordered this morning! I don't have anything at all ready to go since I was expecting on waiting for a while.
What configuration did you order and what location are you? Possibly it matched to something already in inventory?