Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canned response.

Hello! Please review your Tesla App for all ETA-related questions. It remains the best resource for delivery estimates, and mirrors what our teams see. Rest assured that the estimate provided at time of order remains our goal. Note: estimations remain fluid until the vehicle arrives to your delivery center. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to assisting you shortly.

Canned response.

Hello! Please review your Tesla App for all ETA-related questions. It remains the best resource for delivery estimates, and mirrors what our teams see. Rest assured that the estimate provided at time of order remains our goal. Note: estimations remain fluid until the vehicle arrives to your delivery center. We appreciate your understanding and look forward to assisting you shortly.
Well, it's the personal touch that counts! 🤦‍♂️

"Fluid" indeed...

E.

I caved and chose a closer Y with induction and white interior. Pick up tomorrow!
hey-its-ok-im-not-judging.gif

After 3 weeks of receiving my MY, I want you all to know that I love it. Not onliy the power, the steering, the "refueling" each and every night. But also, the thought of what every OTA improved feature may bring to my aging vehicle. I wont have to wait for this car to get old to get new features.. Many will happen automatically and... for now, for free. And in my case, where I hold onto cars for a decade or longer that is a huge plus. I say all this, to remind you, beseech you, to continue to be patient, you too will love it. It will be, ideally, the best car you've ever owned. Good luck, and best wishes, Enjoy the process, and the comraderie, and the car once it arrives.

George

All you need to do to maximize the credit is to make sure you have enough taxable income in 2023 to realize the full credit amount.

Reducing withholding does allow you to realize the benefit of not providing an interest free loan to the government with the downside of potentially resulting in underpayment of your total liability, which could result in underpayment penalty. Very dependent on your individual situation and there are safe harbor rules to help avoid penalty assessment if applicable.
Which (and I know this is a complex matter with solutions that are different for each person) goes back to my original question. How would one even begin to have (up to) $7,500 to offset in taxes?

I mean even if I owe at the end if it all I’m still paying the same amount of taxes while ensuring I maximize the credit.
Assuming you filed form 1040 on 2020 taxes, look at lines 16-24. Line 16 is your total tax liability based on adjusted income. We got a $7500 EV credit last year, and the credit ends up on line 20, which gets subtracted from the tax on line 16. Line 24 is your total tax liability after all taxes and credits added up.

If your line 24 was above $7500 last year and your current year income isn't reduced from last year, you should have sufficient tax liability to get the entire credit. (This is assuming you're also under the maximum income limit for EV credit, which is 150k single, 300k married.)

Then basically your tax refunded/owed is the difference between the amount withheld and the tax liability on line 24.

Withholding will affect whether you overpay or underpay versus how much your actual tax liability is for the year. If you leave withholding alone and had the same income situation as last year, you'll end up with a larger refund next tax season to include the EV credit. If you reduce your withholding now in anticipation of the EV credit, then you'll have less tax taken out of your pay now but then a smaller refund next tax season. Either way you end up with the same overall pay and tax liability, as long as you don't withhold far too little and owe penalties.

Which (and I know this is a complex matter with solutions that are different for each person) goes back to my original question. How would one even begin to have (up to) $7,500 to offset in taxes?
From Intuit .... "a single taxpayer with no dependents would need around $47,000 of income (after subtracting the standard deduction and personal exemption) to have a tax liability of around $7500 in order to offset the $7500 tax credit."

So I would think most people in the market for one of these cars will have enough of a tax liability to get the entire credit. Obviously there are always exceptions.

OMG!! You ppl!! this is getting dumber and dumber!! I suspect that:
1) You ppl dont know how tax credit work.
2) You ppl dont know how to frame the question.
3) You ppl that provided answers are not licensed tax practitioners (Your answers are not comprehensive and CYA enough to be a Licensed Accountant.)
4) Q&A are getting muddier as "the blind lead the blind".

Sooo.. I will say this: Talk to your tax preparer (unless your tax preparer is TurboTax/H&R Block, in which case you can talk to me and it will be ProBono, provided that you fwd me your tax return for the last 3 years and you need to sign an engagement letter to have me as your paid tax preparer/advisor going fwd.)

beewang, CPA

OMG!! You ppl!! this is getting dumber and dumber!! I suspect that:
1) You ppl dont know how tax credit work.
2) You ppl dont know how to frame the question.
3) You ppl that provided answers are not licensed tax practitioners (Your answers are not comprehensive and CYA enough to be a Licensed Accountant.)
4) Q&A are getting muddier as "the blind lead the blind".

Sooo.. I will say this: Talk to your tax preparer (unless your tax preparer is TurboTax/H&R Block, in which case you can talk to me and it will be ProBono, provided that you fwd me your tax return for the last 3 years and you need to sign an engagement letter to have me as your paid tax preparer/advisor going fwd.)

beewang, CPA
Well this is the internet AND we are already on a forum that is basically all about (mostly wrong) speculation and angst anyway... ;)

Assuming you filed form 1040 on 2020 taxes,
My prior post should have been "Assuming you filed form 1040 on 2022 taxes", but it won't let me edit it.

I'll caveat I'm not a tax professional, just speaking from experience as someone who does his own tax returns and have taken the EV credit twice in 2017 and 2022 tax years.

beewang has a good point here. If you are unclear about how the credit works and/or have a tax person, best to consult with a pro.

beewang, CPA

Luckily found an inventory one with Red exterior and black interior, 19" wheels. Got assigned VIN immediately. Forgot to check on "waitingfortesla.com" how many miles it had and when it was built. The new EDD is now May 3 -10. Changed this on Sunday (4/16) so I have not yet heard from 510 number, expecting something today. Freemont built. I asked the 510 number if the car has matrix lights and a cover in the trunk and he said not to worry, they added those features to all the cars a long time back.

Reactions: beewang and erktrek
Congratulations! Did you see this in the phone app or do you have to be in the webpage?
Saw it when I opened the phone app; it told me I needed to log into the website.

Will edit my sig line when I get home - new EDD is 4/16 to 4/25 (though I’m not sure how it could be 4/16 unless the cybertruck has a flux capacitor to take me back to yesterday).

• Informative
Reactions: groenqueen