Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am a bean counter and I am all for statistics and numbers. Having a spare time is DUMB (except for a jeep on a Rubicon trail run). To be clear, I am not saying you're dumb, rather... It's the concept of hauling a 30 lbs wight (yes! Even on your "road trips". It's right up ther with ppl insisting on changing their own tires (what the Hell for? Call AAA and dont break a sweat nor get your hands dirty).

Why chuck along the weight and taking up the space on a road trip where the probability of getting a flat on a good conditioned.tires is remote?!

Now I can agree with you if you are somewhere that is 100 miles away from civilization and tire shop. But tell me when was the last time you were at a place like that in a can in US???!!!

Go ahead... Since you're just waiting for your car, I thought I'd keep you busy with debates,😁😜

Cheers

beewang
Yeah I read about those statistics as well - which is why Tesla (and others) are not including them. For us it's a little bit of insurance and reduced noob EV anxiety. We are travelling to remote part of NH later this year for a wedding - not likely to get fast service and we really can't be delayed for a day or two waiting for "special" EV tires to arrive (yes, you do need proper tires that can deal with the weight and load characteristics). To your point though this is increasingly less of an issue as EVs get more popular and automotive centers stock more EV tires so for us the most likely answer is "peace of mind". Looking into AAA as well - though our insurance covers towing and service.

Reactions: groenqueen
Yeah I read about those statistics as well - which is why Tesla (and others) are not including them.
That may be true, but I recall the outrage when they went to doughnut spares in the late 70's, allegedly to save money.

With the increase in mileage that was dictated, less and less was able to be done to get the numbers up. You can get only so many BTUs out of a gallon of gas. OK, you can reduce weight, which they've done. Engine effciency has been improved over the old carb and Kettering ignition system, but there are limits to that, too (basically squeezing more out of a gallon). So you have aerodynamics, which is a decent factor.

I think the Tesla is an excellent platform where upgrades can be easily applied if they are not major structural upgrades.

And I still like to be able to do tire repairs at my leisure like in the bad old days.

BTW, my first "EV" was a 1971 VW bug that I drove to the gas station on the battery in first when I couldn't get the engine to start.

Reactions: beewang and erktrek
Anyway you can put a screen shot? Mine is blank right now. Maybe you have to pick the car up first?
Telsa Rebate Website NJ.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Skunis and erktrek
...though our insurance covers towing and service.
Does Roadside Assistance Count as a Claim?
Yes, whenever an auto policyholder enacts their roadside assistance coverage, it counts as a claim. However, it doesn’t affect your car insurance rates as much as you think.

Does using roadside assistance increase your premium?
Roadside assistance coverage claims don't have the same impact as other car insurance claims.
"It's unlikely that an insurance company will drop you or raise your rate if you file one or even two (claims) in a year," Bach says.
However, multiple roadside assistance claims in a short period of time can have an impact.
"It could cause your insurance company to raise your rates" or decide not to renew your roadside assistance insurance, she says.

I'll stick with AAA which is in no way shape/form tied to my insurance.

Does Roadside Assistance Count as a Claim?
Yes, whenever an auto policyholder enacts their roadside assistance coverage, it counts as a claim. However, it doesn’t affect your car insurance rates as much as you think.

Does using roadside assistance increase your premium?
Roadside assistance coverage claims don't have the same impact as other car insurance claims.
"It's unlikely that an insurance company will drop you or raise your rate if you file one or even two (claims) in a year," Bach says.
However, multiple roadside assistance claims in a short period of time can have an impact.
"It could cause your insurance company to raise your rates" or decide not to renew your roadside assistance insurance, she says.

I'll stick with AAA which is in no way shape/form tied to my insurance.
Sure but given the rarity of these kinds of tire events as we've been discussing you should be covered with minimal impact and could therefore save yourself yet another reoccurring subscription fee..

I don't mean to harsh on AAA though - back in the day they were awesome with their trip planners and physical maps etc. Still evaluating the benefit... I could definitely see going the AAA route if your vehicle routinely is in higher risk situations like around construction or unpaved roads. I need to check out AAAs terms of service for higher frequency claims...

I wonder if @beewang's sense of fiscal responsibility would be triggered by this... ;)

Anybody with dogs here? I have a soft carrier in the back seat of my Volvo, but it is kind of tall and I was afraid that it will block too much rear view in the MY. I just pulled the trigger on the Tesla pet liner. It is quite a bit more expensive than others in Amazon, but I like the separate door protection panels so I paid the Tesla tax. :oops:How do you plan to carry your pups?

Last edited:
I bought them and they fit well. The driver side is perfect and the passenger side is good but just not perfect. They are sturdy and I like that it keeps the entire back flat. I bought off their website and they had a 10% coupon. Package ships from Amazon warehouse in California.

Sure but given the rarity of these kinds of tire events as we've been discussing you should be covered with minimal impact and could therefore save yourself yet another reoccurring subscription fee..

I don't mean to harsh on AAA though - back in the day they were awesome with their trip planners and physical maps etc. Still evaluating the benefit... I could definitely see going the AAA route if your vehicle routinely is in higher risk situations like around construction or unpaved roads. I need to check out AAAs terms of service for higher frequency claims...

I wonder if @beewang's sense of fiscal responsibility would be triggered by this... ;)
So I have had Hybrid and EV's for the last 12 years.. I dont have range anxiety like most EV newbies.. Far from it, I have a tendency to "push to the limit" and that has occasionally backed fired on me 2 X:
1) Driving CCS Honda Clarity EV (NOT hybrid), I pulled into an Electrify America(EA) charging station, If you have never used EA network, let me just tell you that the experience is hit or miss. In this case, the stations are working, but just NOT for the Clarity's CCS that I was driving. I practically "glide" into the station (you want to run low on your battery so that the car would charge fast, (if you dont get this concept, you WILL in a few days after using the fast charging networks). The next nearest fast charger is 10 miles away, so I called AAA to flatbed me to the next point. It happens on EVs if you dont have range anxiety ( I dont!). AAA Gold/Platinum is my safetynet.
2) The 12 Volt battery died (Yes you have one in the tesla too! and you will replace it between 3~4 yrs mark) while I was at EVgo Station. In order to charge your EV, your 12V battery must be in working condition (trust me on this one. Or you can try to unplug your Tesla 12V batter and attempt to charge the car. You'll see!). Called AAA to get me out of the charging station and save the day.

I totally agree with @erktrek , that other than the need for covering my peace of mind on EV, the old services provided by AAA (free maps and tour books) is pretty much useless in today's world.

beewang

Got the delivery text today -- they want to do a Home Delivery. I've seen a lot of fear-mongering on this thread about the ability to reject the car at the SC vs at home, but there's no documentation that this is actually a problem and I've also seen anecdotes of people on here saying that just like at the SC they can't get into the car until the "Accept" the delivery at Home, indicating that basically it's the same as the SC.

Can any of the "never take a delivery at home" crowd please cite a real world example and/or Tesla terms regarding this fear of Home Delivery? I'm talking about a normal state btw, not Texas where you have to buy the car first.

Reactions: beewang
Got the delivery text today -- they want to do a Home Delivery. I've seen a lot of fear-mongering on this thread about the ability to reject the car at the SC vs at home, but there's no documentation that this is actually a problem and I've also seen anecdotes of people on here saying that just like at the SC they can't get into the car until the "Accept" the delivery at Home, indicating that basically it's the same as the SC.

Can any of the "never take a delivery at home" crowd please cite a real world example and/or Tesla terms regarding this fear of Home Delivery? I'm talking about a normal state btw, not Texas where you have to buy the car first.
Answering my own question, here's the reply from my Tesla SA

"Understood. Everything would need to be paid off in order to deliver at your home. Due to this, we have selected customer pick-up at the ______ location as per your request. You should be getting a text soon to set up pick-up and you could pay at the store on the day of. Thank you for your inquiry!"

Reactions: beewang and erktrek

It’s fine. I did a home delivery in 2021. Of course I was there for the delivery. I gave them a cashiers check after inspecting it in my driveway. Would prefer that again, actually.

• Helpful
Reactions: erktrek