Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot to buy a portable SSD drive. I know the car comes with a flash drive but I have read that flash drives are not optimal for continuous read/writes so I bought a portable SSD for my M3. Going to do the same for the MY.

The USB drive that Tesla provides appears to be a rebranded Samsung BAR Plus 128 GB with a Tesla logo, which is one of the more premium USB drives on the market. Samsung doesn't disclose the life expectancy of this device, but even cheap USB drives are good for a number of write cycles in the 5 to 6-digit range.

Tesla's cameras require a total of about 160 megabytes of data storage per minute of video, so 128 gigabytes is enough to store about 13 hours of video. Even if you recorded 24 hours of video a day and the USB drive was only good for 10,000 write cycles, that's nearly 15 years of life.

TL;DR: The included USB drive will outlast the vehicle. :)

If I see another damn post about some damn NJ form or rebate, I’m leaving! Geeezzz. Start a new thread already! Get a room, something!

P.S. Born and raised in NJ (East Rutherford), so I can spout off at the other NJites!
While I totally understand, but we are worried about losing 2k for no fault of ours, so using any available means to "try" protecting that hard earned money, or at least get clarity. Anyways since today is deadline so tomorrow onwards hoping we know one way or another... apologies for inconvenience ☹️

The USB drive that Tesla provides appears to be a rebranded Samsung BAR Plus 128 GB with a Tesla logo, which is one of the more premium USB drives on the market. Samsung doesn't disclose the life expectancy of this device, but even cheap USB drives are good for a number of write cycles in the 5 to 6-digit range.

Tesla's cameras require a total of about 160 megabytes of data storage per minute of video, so 128 gigabytes is enough to store about 13 hours of video. Even if you recorded 24 hours of video a day and the USB drive was only good for 10,000 write cycles, that's nearly 15 years of life.

TL;DR: The included USB drive will outlast the vehicle. :)
I still bought the SSD. :) For $75 I got a 1TB drive. :)

Reactions: jebinc and zroger73
Ordered mine 4/24, Delivery window has been 5/3-5/17 entire time. No VIN yet. What's the time from getting VIN to Delivery typically?
It all depends on where the vehicle is built (Austin vs. Fremont). Would guess it will take longer if you get a Fremont build just because of the greater distance.

I am on the East coast and got Fremont build. VIN on 4/21. My EDD is 5/4-5/9 (just updated today).

It all depends on where the vehicle is built (Austin vs. Fremont). Would guess it will take longer if you get a Fremont build just because of the greater distance.

I am on the East coast and got Fremont build. VIN on 4/21. My EDD is 5/4-5/9 (just updated today).
I assume you find out Vehicle build location when you get your VIN? I'm in FL, so I'd hope they'd build it in Austin . . .. Thanks for the info!

Still trying to figure out the insurance. The app states my insurance is expiring soon (within 60 days). I can get proof of insurance but not past the expiration 6/19 even if I pay my insurance ahead of time.

Trying to call Tesla now to ask. This is very new. The last time I bought my Tesla they just needed insurance info and added the car for me just like other dealers do. Never heard of this 60 day thing.

Still trying to figure out the insurance. The app states my insurance is expiring soon (within 60 days). I can get proof of insurance but not past the expiration 6/19 even if I pay my insurance ahead of time.

Trying to call Tesla now to ask. This is very new. The last time I bought my Tesla they just needed insurance info and added the car for me just like other dealers do. Never heard of this 60 day thing.
Go back to our conversation from 22-Apr.

Reactions: Skunis