Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..Other threads out there have some getting steering fully replaced and others have had loose connectors.

Pretty crazy for that to happen after an update.
So I am going to throw something out there that maybe against the traditional thinking ... Please hear me out @Skunis and @pkmody .

I know we all think of our new Model Y as the "New Car". However, I am going to propose something.. I want you to consider this electric car more like your Laptop or Smartphone because it has more similarity with those items then the "CAR" you've been driving all your life and "plan to keep it till the wheels falls off" like a 30 yrs old Toyota Camary/Honda Accord.

But here is the thing I realized after driving EVs and hybrids for the last 15 yrs. Ask yourself if you really want to keep that cell phone or laptop you have for the next 10 years?? Because that is really what it comes to. I noticed the 2023 Model Y is DEFINITELY faster on processor and functionality compared to my 2019 Model 3.

I too have always been a "keep that Honda Civic till the wheels fall off" guy. But this EV is more like an electronics than a car.

Just think about it and digest it..

Cheers!

beewang

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
So I am going to throw something out there that maybe against the traditional thinking ... Please hear me out @Skunis and @pkmody .

I know we all think of our new Model Y as the "New Car". However, I am going to propose something.. I want you to consider this electric car more like your Laptop or Smartphone because it has more similarity with those items then the "CAR" you've been driving all your life and "plan to keep it till the wheels falls off" like a 30 yrs old Toyota Camary/Honda Accord.

But here is the thing I realized after driving EVs and hybrids for the last 15 yrs. Ask yourself if you really want to keep that cell phone or laptop you have for the next 10 years?? Because that is really what it comes to. I noticed the 2023 Model Y is DEFINITELY faster on processor and functionality compared to my 2019 Model 3.

I too have always been a "keep that Honda Civic till the wheels fall off" guy. But this EV is more like an electronics than a car.

Cheers!

beewang
I agree with you @beewang. I was telling my wife this is like a computer. There are going to be issues with it like any other computer when you get an update. Some will have no issues and others will have issues.

I have not tested out the processor speed from the 2023 MYLR to my 2019 M3 but I am sure there is a difference. There has to be. It is just the nature of such "computers".

I am ok living with that and will try to keep the car the 10 years I like to keep cars for. Hopefully that works out. :)

Cheers!

beewang
Oh, I know. My point is I'm not a buy/trade every 3 years type of guy. I TOTALLY understand that there might be other things that cause me to want to upgrade . . . but it's really not different than a ICE car. Things break down, electronics in the cabin stop working, etc. I see plenty of older model teslas selling on the used market, so they must still run fine - they just don't have the latest/greatest. I just don't plan on replacing this as soon as HW4, HW5, etc. comes up. This is our first entrance into the EV market, and barring huge problems, don't plan on getting the latest/greatest "just because".

I have been seeing comments about the wheel covers giving better efficiency. On the surface, that seems ridiculous, but seeing how many times it's been stated, there must be more to it. Other than from the vendor selling the covers, is there any real world proof this is the case? I do understand people switching them out for cosmetic reasons, but just curious about the mileage claims . . .
I will let you know after I use them in my commute for a couple of weeks. I should be able to tell easily if they help or not.

Reactions: beewang and pkmody
Same here but I had another unintended happening.

I got in the car this morning, first time driving it since the update as I needed to move the car out of the garage for the electrician to install the wall connector.

I put it in reverse and I get the "steering assist is limited" message. Man, if the car is not moving you cannot even move the steering wheel. I tried the soft reset and did not work. Managed to get the car out of the garage and parked in a lot behind my house.

Tried the soft reset again and left the car. Came back about 30 minutes later and the steering issue is gone. Reddit has a thread where roadside assistance suggested a power down and that worked for a few people.

Went back out to car an hour later and all is well.

Other threads out there have some getting steering fully replaced and others have had loose connectors.

Crazy scary! I hope I don't have to go through that one :oops:. I also had to do another soft reset today ... when I jumped in the car Spotify sounded garbled. I tried FM and worked fine. Went back to Spotify, still garbled. Did the reset and all is well now. Still no parking assist, though. I added that to my service request next week.

Reactions: erktrek and Skunis
Same here but I had another unintended happening.

I got in the car this morning, first time driving it since the update as I needed to move the car out of the garage for the electrician to install the wall connector.

I put it in reverse and I get the "steering assist is limited" message. Man, if the car is not moving you cannot even move the steering wheel. I tried the soft reset and did not work. Managed to get the car out of the garage and parked in a lot behind my house.

Tried the soft reset again and left the car. Came back about 30 minutes later and the steering issue is gone. Reddit has a thread where roadside assistance suggested a power down and that worked for a few people.

Went back out to car an hour later and all is well.

Other threads out there have some getting steering fully replaced and others have had loose connectors.

You need to request service.

Finally my 2023 MY is ready to schedule Delivery.
I placed an order in January.
Now I’m not sure if I should pick it up. I’m not in hurry to get a new Car. It will be just nice to replace my old Car.
Should I wait for Tesla Model Y with new Design and Hardware 4.0?
I can wait 1 or 1.5 more years.
Any benefits of waiting for 1 more Year?

What would you do?

Reactions: beewang

I Ttink of it the same way, too.

But also like a plane. If taken care of well, the airframes last a very long time. The second to last one i owned has been around for 59+ years and is still flying.

What folks do is replace engines, repaint, and upgrade avionics and interiors. I think of the Tesla that way. No reason why some improvements couldn't be offered as upgrades, and there are plenty of aftermarket items available to make up for what Tesla doesn't include.

The key is to keep it mechanically well maintained.

Or, of course, get a new one a shorter intervals or when the upgrades make it worth it.

Reactions: erktrek
Now I’m not sure if I should pick it up. I’m not in hurry to get a new Car. It will be just nice to replace my old Car.

What would you do?
Yeah, if you don't need a car, wait! New will always be bigger, faster and thus better!

But now I have to ask you WTF did ya order the car in January if you didn't need it 😆 lol
Assuming you ordered it "just because" which is just fine,😁👍

beewang

I Ttink of it the same way, too.

But also like a plane. If taken care of well, the airframes last a very long time. The second to last one i owned has been around for 59+ years and is still flying.

What folks do is replace engines, repaint, and upgrade avionics and interiors. I think of the Tesla that way. No reason why some improvements couldn't be offered as upgrades, and there are plenty of aftermarket items available to make up for what Tesla doesn't include.

The key is to keep it mechanically well maintained.

Or, of course, get a new one a shorter intervals or when the upgrades make it worth it.
Yes... While the P51 is the schitt!!
But No!! I want the F-35 BABY!! 😁😆👍🍷

beewang

What would you do?
You will always be chasing something "better".. especially with EVs as the tech is changing so rapidly.

If you plan on taking full advantage of FSD then yeah waiting might be a good idea. Otherwise the benefits of owning an EV start immediately with reduced fuel and maintenance costs plus the extra bonus of Tesla's charging network. The MY is great right now.. and will continue to get better.

Now that we've owned a MY for a few weeks would it have been better to have waited? For us? Not at all - if our delivery were closer to Oct/Nov then possibly..

IMHO, that is not a good way of thinking about a $50,000 vehicle. The main functionality is to get you from place to place safely and my M3 and MY better be doing that for the next 10-15 years. Replacing an entire vehicle because the latest UI runs "slower" on it should not be first thought that comes to mind.

Reactions: mwestk
Took delivery today, the SC folks were really friendly and allowed me to check. The only thing is that the panel gaps (Fremont build) is not as great as Austin build. Have a couple of panel gap issues

1. frunk driver side gap and passenger side gap are not consistent
2. Rear passenger side quarter panel and trunk seam is inconsitent

Apart from that these are the issues I noticed, let me know if these will be addressed

1. All door weather sealants has atleast one small cut in it ( SC said it’s needed to bend and install around corners -not convincing, never seen in my other cars ever)
2. Roof liner partition between from and back( both sides has some kind of QC check issue, they didn’t trim well)
3. The one thing I found after reaching home is that there is a paint issue in the inside bottom part of the driver door (attached)
IMG_0412.jpeg
IMG_0399.jpeg
IMG_0402.jpeg
IMG_0416.jpeg

Reactions: Skunis and imgcs