Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things I have noticed going from a 2.5 radar car to a Full Self Driving Vision car....
Following distance is too far and pisses off people behind me (Also still waiting on the update to be able to set it to 2 instead of 3).
Car makes lots more lane changes out of the passing lane only to change back maybe 10 to 20 seconds later. Doesn't seem to be able to track the cars speed in the slower lane as well.
Hoping they allow the max speed to be on par with the radar system (90 instead of 80).
Car seems to wait longer before responding to cars ahead braking (they really need to fix this it could be dangerous) I actually intervene quite often because I just don't trust the vision system to stop in time many times.

Really hoping Tesla addresses these issues. Curious what work they have done on the highway part of the vision system with them doing so much work on auto steer on city streets...
There is a setting for not riding in the passing lane and getting back over. I'm sure you have that enabled.

There is a setting for not riding in the passing lane and getting back over. I'm sure you have that enabled.
I do have that enabled and did on my previous radar car as well. With the vision car it gets over when it should just stay in the passing lane. The radar car did a much better job knowing it was closing in on another car in the other lane so it would wait to pass them before getting over. At least right now I notice the radar system does a much better job judging distances then the vision one does.

Well after 4 months of TeslaVision ownership, I've basically stopped using AP altogether. My neighborhood is connected to our local town by a 2-lane, 45mph country road. I drive this road 3-4 times a day and used to use AP for it because it was relaxing. Now, I find myself with my foot hovering over the accelerator in anticipation of needing to override a phantom braking event, which happens about half the time, both directions, in similar spots. Sometimes it's severe. Usually it's just a drop of 2-3mph then recovers. Both are very annoying. This was one of my favorite features on my '17 M3 and now I hate it. With the '17, it would occasionally get better or worse with software updates over time, but it was never as bad as my '21 TV version is now. My understanding is that the beta FSD code base will eventually merge into standard AP (I don't have FSD) and as far as I'm concerned, they need to do it immediately.

Well after 4 months of TeslaVision ownership, I've basically stopped using AP altogether. My neighborhood is connected to our local town by a 2-lane, 45mph country road. I drive this road 3-4 times a day and used to use AP for it because it was relaxing. Now, I find myself with my foot hovering over the accelerator in anticipation of needing to override a phantom braking event, which happens about half the time, both directions, in similar spots. Sometimes it's severe. Usually it's just a drop of 2-3mph then recovers. Both are very annoying. This was one of my favorite features on my '17 M3 and now I hate it. With the '17, it would occasionally get better or worse with software updates over time, but it was never as bad as my '21 TV version is now. My understanding is that the beta FSD code base will eventually merge into standard AP (I don't have FSD) and as far as I'm concerned, they need to do it immediately.
Basically my same experience. On anything but an interstate, vision only is hot trash.

Reactions: YieldFarmer
Just got a new M3 with vision only. Never driven with the ‘previous’ tech. I too find that the car is ‘slower than I’d like’ to react to cars slowing down ahead of me, and when it does hit the breaks, it hits them hard and we fling forward. It has pissed off the drivers behind me quite a few times as well. I take it this is more due to the vision tech rather than AP flaws as a whole?

I was so excited to use AP for my mundane ride to and from work, and now I dont get to use it since its not as great as I had imagined.

Reactions: CarbonPear
Just got a new M3 with vision only. Never driven with the ‘previous’ tech. I too find that the car is ‘slower than I’d like’ to react to cars slowing down ahead of me, and when it does hit the breaks, it hits them hard and we fling forward. It has pissed off the drivers behind me quite a few times as well. I take it this is more due to the vision tech rather than AP flaws as a whole?

I was so excited to use AP for my mundane ride to and from work, and now I dont get to use it since its not as great as I had imagined.
Yep, that's vision.

The radar cars are buttery smooth at speed adjustments.

What software version are people's Tesla Vision (no radar) cars running? I picked my M3LR up in June and it updated twice, most recently August 11 to 2021.4.21.3. I see from TeslaFi that more than 97% of cars with same configuration are running 2021.24 or later. I sent a message to Tesla asking about that since mine won't upgrade and I was told that 2021.4.21.3 that I have is the most up-to-date for my model. Just wondering if there are people out there who picked up their cars June 2021 or later with a more recent software upgrade. I also hate autopilot, especially on rolly-polly, straight, empty roads, since it brakes super hard when cresting a hill. Totally scary and I've quit using AP altogether. Hoping that newer software is better, but based on what I'm reading here it doesn't sound like it. Anyhow, please reply if you have a no-radar M3LR with higher than 2021.4.21.3. Thanks!

Basically same experience for me.. I love that we universally hover our right foot over the accelerator to override the phantom events. But mostly don't even bother using it. Also want to point out that coming from 2 years and 32K miles driven on Model 3, Vision is the worst. Many years later to have it feel worse than a 2018 M3 auto pilot is quite insane, but for me, true.
It also sounds strange, but mine is deathly afraid of large white objects and I usually get ready to takeover when I see them coming.

My first Tesla and just picked up my M3 SR+ last week. I immediately drove to Montreal (2 hrs) and back and have tested out autopilot on both divided multi-lane highways and country roads. One thing that seems to freak out the vision only system are motorcycles while in a turn. Especially if the turn also has some elevation change. I thought at first that it was slowing because it was two bikes side by side so their headlights could be mistaken for a car that was pointed into my lane, but later slowed dramatically when a single motorcycle approached. It isn't only motorcycles but I noticed several instances of motorcycles causing it to slow.

Related question - I have it set for 8 kph above the speed limit as the set point. When the speed limit changes on a road I currently cancel and re-engage AP to get the new limit +8 kph. Is there a way to have it automatically adjust as the speed limit changes?

My first Tesla and just picked up my M3 SR+ last week. I immediately drove to Montreal (2 hrs) and back and have tested out autopilot on both divided multi-lane highways and country roads. One thing that seems to freak out the vision only system are motorcycles while in a turn. Especially if the turn also has some elevation change. I thought at first that it was slowing because it was two bikes side by side so their headlights could be mistaken for a car that was pointed into my lane, but later slowed dramatically when a single motorcycle approached. It isn't only motorcycles but I noticed several instances of motorcycles causing it to slow.

Related question - I have it set for 8 kph above the speed limit as the set point. When the speed limit changes on a road I currently cancel and re-engage AP to get the new limit +8 kph. Is there a way to have it automatically adjust as the speed limit changes?
Right scroll knob on steering wheel up and down

Basically same experience for me.. I love that we universally hover our right foot over the accelerator to override the phantom events. But mostly don't even bother using it. Also want to point out that coming from 2 years and 32K miles driven on Model 3, Vision is the worst. Many years later to have it feel worse than a 2018 M3 auto pilot is quite insane, but for me, true.
It also sounds strange, but mine is deathly afraid of large white objects and I usually get ready to takeover when I see them coming.
Same for me. Coming from 2 years of model 3 so much better than the vision teslas. I’m sure they will eventually get there but now it’s a disappointment.

What software version are people's Tesla Vision (no radar) cars running? I picked my M3LR up in June and it updated twice, most recently August 11 to 2021.4.21.3. I see from TeslaFi that more than 97% of cars with same configuration are running 2021.24 or later. I sent a message to Tesla asking about that since mine won't upgrade and I was told that 2021.4.21.3 that I have is the most up-to-date for my model. Just wondering if there are people out there who picked up their cars June 2021 or later with a more recent software upgrade. I also hate autopilot, especially on rolly-polly, straight, empty roads, since it brakes super hard when cresting a hill. Totally scary and I've quit using AP altogether. Hoping that newer software is better, but based on what I'm reading here it doesn't sound like it. Anyhow, please reply if you have a no-radar M3LR with higher than 2021.4.21.3. Thanks!

My poor experience is with the same version as you: 2021.4.21.3. I actually think it may have been a bit better on the earlier releases (June delivery).