Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I just installed the new kit from cozero. They changed the kit again. The lock cable (connecting the hatch and open button) now is really short so I think the intention is to put the control box inside the lift gate which I did.
The good thing is that the left strut cable just needs to be routed to the liftgate, I don't need to open the left side of the car at all and did connect both struts.

Now I have to put it back and have a hard time putting the liner that cover the power panel back in place. Any tip?

Thanks

Good work dragonvn. Glad to hear its working out. As for the liftgate big black liner, be sure you get your center trunk light wire routed back to the hole where the puddle light plugs back in. Its nearly impossible to wiggle the light's wire back over to the hole after the liner is back up.

I've removed that liner three-four times by myself, its more than two hands can manage. Very frustrating. I think even trying to re-install it without taking it out back and jumping up and down on it, is heroic. :)

I installed the Gen 1 version of this back in 2017. I had a lot of issues with the liftgate not staying open, but that was fixed with an updated control module. Everything was smooth sailing ever since.

But I did want the soft close option and installed that this weekend. Upgrade from Autoease cost me $350 shipped and it arrived in 2 days from Hong Kong. Amazing.

Upgrade included a new control module, new latch, and new struts. The control module is like gen 1 and is installed inside the liftgate. Saw that the gen 2 control module was installed in the lower right of the trunk and strut wires had to be extended. Thankfully I didn’t have to deal with any of that.

The new latch wire is short and the motor is a bit big. It made getting the panels back on a bit difficult. I did have to fish the latch motor power wire up though grommet and into the tailgate and to the new control module. That was the hardest part. I was able to reuse the old power wire. Old struts and wiring were removed for the new struts and new wiring, but that’s relatively easy.

I did have a very weird power problem at first. It just wasn’t working and I was positive I wired everything correctly. Autoease support was helpful and said the power supply was “unstable.” They suggested I check the ground and charge the 12V battery. I ended up unplugging my dash camera and everything started working. I plugged the dash camera back in and everything still works. No idea what happened but it’s all working.

New struts open much higher than gen 1. Opening is a lot faster, too. Gen 1 opened very slowly for me. I’m loving the soft close. So this upgrade was well worth it to me from gen 1.

One more thing - I had gen 1 wired to the OEM Tesla button, but that no longer works for some reason. I just used the included button and it works well. I don’t know what changed but if anyone knows how to wire this new version to the OEM button, please let me know.

Video link is below. Silver car is hatch opening with the Autoease upgrade. Red car is Tesla OEM hatch opening. I noticed a slight delay from the keyfob press with the aftermarket kit. Other than that, it’s very similar to OEM.

Last, last thing - I still need to test pinch sensing on the Autoease kit.

• Informative
Reactions: RayW
In the last week my cozero lift has started to fail on me :( It will start to open then close back up. It won't even function again until I pull the trunk open a few inches and let it settle back down then I can get it to open. I guess it only lasts for so long.

My 17 Model S was rear-ended, and the body shop did their best to put everything back together, but they had trouble with the early model COzero PLG (has internal speaker in the controller). I'm hoping someone here can help me out... basically, it doesn't lift the gate.

First, does the early COzero models have the additional motorized hitch i.e. the part that is bolted to the bumper? I bought the car second hand, and don't know all of the parts that were involved. The instructions provided by COzero seem to suggest no...

What works:

If I cycle power on the control unit, it beeps and if I press the internal gate button, it will lower to a close.

What doesn't work:

Per the instruction, supposedly after applying power, you are to physically close the gate and press the FOB 2x and the gate should lift. When I try this, the gate just unlatches but the motors don't move at all.

Thanks for the help!

My 17 Model S was rear-ended, and the body shop did their best to put everything back together, but they had trouble with the early model COzero PLG (has internal speaker in the controller). I'm hoping someone here can help me out... basically, it doesn't lift the gate.

First, does the early COzero models have the additional motorized hitch i.e. the part that is bolted to the bumper? I bought the car second hand, and don't know all of the parts that were involved. The instructions provided by COzero seem to suggest no...

What works:

If I cycle power on the control unit, it beeps and if I press the internal gate button, it will lower to a close.

What doesn't work:

Per the instruction, supposedly after applying power, you are to physically close the gate and press the FOB 2x and the gate should lift. When I try this, the gate just unlatches but the motors don't move at all.

Thanks for the help!
You have to cut a wire, I forget which one. It should be in this thread somewhere.

I figured out the issue. The body shop had connected the OEM liftgate lock connector to the liftgate lock instead of the adapter, and had looped the liftgate lock adapter back onto itself. When the kit is wired this way, the behavior is:

1. 2x press = liftgate unlock, but no lift
2. press of button on the gate itself will close the first time only after the initial power is applied

Hopefully nobody will ever end up in this situation as I did, but wanted to share just in case...

Reactions: Akikiki
For anyone planning to do the upgrade from gen 1, I was able to get the OEM button wired up, illuminated, and fully functioning in the current version of this product. I read some were having some difficulty with illumination, but mine works perfectly.

Autoease provided me with the wiring diagram below:

20DAB6E6-D8DA-444C-A65F-ED9BD495EDDA.jpeg

Note, the first pin is blank. The colors of the other wires seem to vary per version, but the pin position seems to be consistent.

Then use @Cricket88’s post from below to see the how the OEM button should be wired and just match to the Autoease provided photo above:

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
I am currently going through an install of a COZero kit v3 (ECU fitted near pull handle on tailgate) on a Model S ~ June 2017. I am stuck on where to tap permanent 12V from... Can anyone tell me which connector i should be tapping from? Thank you

Attachments

• 1758460866.png
    1758460866.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 93
In the last week my cozero lift has started to fail on me :( It will start to open then close back up. It won't even function again until I pull the trunk open a few inches and let it settle back down then I can get it to open. I guess it only lasts for so long.
Same started happening to me a few months ago and I was also one of the early ones to install COZero's kit. Sadly, they are not replacing for free since it's been 2.5 yrs but offered a discounted price on a new kit or parts but I'm not sure I should go with a company that sold a product that fails after 2.5 years (obviously I'm not alone here). What options do we have out there besides COZero?

I know nothing about COZero except here. But it would be useful to remember they were an early adopter same as you. They were bold to offer a useful product that was a bargain compared to buying another car to get the liftgate feature. Yes, it should have lasted longer. But I doubt they designed it to fail in 2.5 years. Being a business (and probably not a very large one), they are just trying to offer a useful product and still make a profit. Likely they can't afford to just give away the replacement parts for free. I'd bet the replacement parts are better than the original ones. If it was me, I'd take a chance - again to continue to have the auto liftgate, and thank them for the discount.

Hi everyone! I just registered for TMC, and am considering installing an aftermarket power lift gate on my 2016 Model S.

I see a variety of similar kits for sale on alibabi.com, which is like the Chinese eBay marketplace. Some are almost half the price of the reseller versions (e.g. COZero or Autoease) discussed in this thread.
  1. This one from XiaoTeng (Xt Auto Electric Power Tailgate Lift,High Quality Upper Back Door Electric For Tesla Model S - Buy Car Power Electric Tailgate Lift,Car Power Electric Tailgate Lift,Car Power Electric Tailgate Lift Product on Alibaba.com) appears to include the soft power latch and OEM-like push button, for only $290.
    Liftgate_XT.png

2. Another option from Kaimiao (After Market Vehicles Parts Electric Power Tailgate For Tesla Model-s - Buy Electric Power Tailgate For Tesla Model S,Tesla Electric Tailgate,Electric Tailgate Lift Assist System Product on Alibaba.com) has clearer photos of all the components that would be included. If you buy two, only $250 per unit.
    Liftgate_Kaimiao.jpg
For the experts on this forum that have completed the installation, do these look equivalent to what COZero is selling currently? Should I take the risk and order direct?

Is there anyone who might be interested in a 2-person group buy for the Kaimiao (option #2), for $250 each + shipping?

Looks like it doesn't come with the foot sensor? It's listed as an option, but I don't see where to add the option.

I don't think the COZero kit comes with a foot sensor either. I sometimes see that as a separate add-on package. If I remember correctly, it also requires drilling into the underside of the bumper to install, so I'm personally less interested in the foot sensor.

Hi everyone! I just registered for TMC, and am considering installing an aftermarket power lift gate on my 2016 Model S.

I see a variety of similar kits for sale on alibabi.com, which is like the Chinese eBay marketplace. Some are almost half the price of the reseller versions (e.g. COZero or Autoease) discussed in this thread.
  1. This one from XiaoTeng (Xt Auto Electric Power Tailgate Lift,High Quality Upper Back Door Electric For Tesla Model S - Buy Car Power Electric Tailgate Lift,Car Power Electric Tailgate Lift,Car Power Electric Tailgate Lift Product on Alibaba.com) appears to include the soft power latch and OEM-like push button, for only $290.
    View attachment 562277
  2. Another option from Kaimiao (After Market Vehicles Parts Electric Power Tailgate For Tesla Model-s - Buy Electric Power Tailgate For Tesla Model S,Tesla Electric Tailgate,Electric Tailgate Lift Assist System Product on Alibaba.com) has clearer photos of all the components that would be included. If you buy two, only $250 per unit.
    View attachment 562278
For the experts on this forum that have completed the installation, do these look equivalent to what COZero is selling currently? Should I take the risk and order direct?

Is there anyone who might be interested in a 2-person group buy for the Kaimiao (option #2), for $250 each + shipping?

Unless you find someone next door, aren't you better off just buying the first kit? I'd imagine these are bulky and might cost $40 to ship to someone else after you receive them.