TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BigTonyTones, Jan 30, 2017.

1. jbolus

jbolus Member

• Like x 1
  2. LoveEV

LoveEV Banned

So will the OEM tailgate power button fit plug and play with the co zero kit? Or is there other modifications and tapping into wires?

3. jbolus

jbolus Member

Yes, the Tesla OEM power button and driver side liftgate strut works with the Cozero kit. I did not have to modify anything, just had to follow the wiring connections from a previous post on this thread.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. YeahInternets

YeahInternets New Member

Hi, first post. I purchased the Autoease TL-105 lift kit because of this thread. I just installed it and can't weigh in on how it is compared to the co zero kit but I can say so far so good. If you just bought a kit like me, they have updated their control module to their 4th version. I had some issues with connected it up with the struts and reached out to their support. I was HIGHLY impressed with how responsive they were in troubleshooting what wasn't working. Long story short, it looks like the connectors from the one strut needs to be modified a bit to fit the new controller. If you bought the kit, you have to cut off the little tabs that keep you from putting the grey plugs into the blue openings. I let autoease know that they should include instructions in the kit letting people know this.

The kit also now includes a powered retracting latch... I haven't had the bravery to tackle that yet and the hatch has been closing well without it so far (after adjusting the lift gate rubber stoppers). I'll repost if I tackle that install and let you know if that's worth it.

I also purchased the foot activated open kit but another person's post on this thread made me afraid to install it because I think you may have to cut the under side of the lower bumper a bit to install it. If I build up the courage to install it, I will share my results.

5. dragonix

dragonix New Member

Hi Mukuzai,

I also have the original Tesla button and the PLG from COzero V2.0 and I did connect it like you described:
    • "Signal to trunk (wire to purple)
    • Ground (wire to black)
    • Illumination (wire to green)"
    The button is working fine but it has no light ... I also tried to switch the "Illumination" with the "Signal to trunk" and I had Light but in tis case a double tap on the button was needed to close the trunk :(

Do you have any suggestions to solve this problem?

6. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Was never able to get the light to work with proper trunk functionality. Unless CoZero comes up with an official way to do it I've just been living without the light.

7. dragonix

dragonix New Member

Thank you Mokuzai for the information you shared and for the very fast answer!

8. LoveEV

LoveEV Banned

Can you please confirm if the official tesla oem tailgate button works plug and play with the cozero v2 kit with soft close? i dont want to tap into any wires

9. jbolus

jbolus Member

Yes, it works. Just follow the wiring diagram from a previous post on this thread.

10. LoveEV

LoveEV Banned

So wires do need to be spliced or moved around?

11. jbolus

jbolus Member

See the post below:

• Like x 1
  12. skyhix

skyhix Member

I have the same issue of uncommanded closing after about 18 months of use, so I emailed Autoease and they shipped me a new set of struts. Should be in tomorrow, I guess the warranty period didn't expire yet. I will have to see how to tie in the wiring of the existing struts. I hope I don't have to pull the trimming apart again. it wasn't easy.

13. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Got the V9 update last weekend and a couple things changed. You can still open the trunk with the CoZero kit from the screen but then the button greys out and just says it's open. Doesn't seem to be a way to close the trunk from the screen.

On the phone app previously trying to open and close the trunk would have mixed results but it would always do something. Now there is no response from the app at all. The avatar in the background will open it's trunk but the car does nothing. Although the app also had no response for the front trunk so that may be a glitch with V9 and the phone app.

Everything still works from the key fob and with the controls on the trunk itself, which is fine for me personally as those are the only ways I interact with the trunk. If another user hadn't alerted me to the screen issue I'm not sure how long it would have taken before noticing.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. druken

druken Member

I bought the gen1 kit from autoease in March 2017 and the only issue is how hard it slams the trunk. I emailed autoease and they sold me an upgrade kit which comes with a new control box and a power latch. I installed them last night the soft closing works very well. 20181121_174253.jpg

• Like x 1
  15. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Nice!!! So the newer kits come with this? Anyone know someone in Los Angeles area who can install or help install?

16. LoveEV

LoveEV Banned

This looks similar to the new COZero kits offering soft close. How difficult was it to install?

17. druken

druken Member

According to the vendor this is from their gen3 kits. Not too bad to install, the hardest part for me was to pull the cables through the rubber grommet.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

How much was it for the upgrade kit?

19. druken

druken Member

I paid $200 shipping included. They also offered a $300 kit which includes new power structs. Apprently the new structs match OEM length and gen1 structs are shorter. But I think my trunk lifts high enough.

20. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

Any links
    Can you share links to the product?