Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have any tips for bumper PPF installation? Where to start? Which points to tack, etc.
This is a precut PPF tach diagram for the 2022 Model S front bumper. This was my game plan. This and Chris's Model 3 bumper video. I got the tach diagram from Chris of Renoson Autofilms. It took me 8hrs to do it. I took my time and used lots of slip solution to give me lots of working time. It turned out excellent, seams are perfect. It was too big to use the peeling board so i used Drive Protected's method of reverse rolling. Another good video to view is linked on a previous post. This is the most difficult piece on the whole car. I put it off until i did all the doors, hood and front fenders. I followed the tack diagram one section at a time. The place to start is the tow hook hole. Chris suggested i get the precut without the sensors and tow hook cut. But i asked for them to be cut out. In this way there are more reference points. Also, the seam at the bottom right, follow the tack diagram and place the right part of the seam after its left piece is layed. Very good video on my previous post. Not the whole video, look at his technique on the bumper. He lays down the right side of that seam but then has to pull it up. You can lay it, just dont tack until last. Chris's best piece of advice was to take your time.
IMG-20220319-WA0002(1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DimaCA
This is a precut PPF tach diagram for the 2022 Model S front bumper. This was my game plan. This and Chris's Model 3 bumper video. I got the tach diagram from Chris of Renoson Autofilms. It took me 8hrs to do it. I took my time and used lots of slip solution to give me lots of working time. It turned out excellent, seams are perfect. It was too big to use the peeling board so i used Drive Protected's method of reverse rolling. Another good video to view is linked on a previous post. This is the most difficult piece on the whole car. I put it off until i did all the doors, hood and front fenders. I followed the tack diagram one section at a time. The place to start is the tow hook hole. Chris suggested i get the precut without the sensors and tow hook cut. But i asked for them to be cut out. In this way there are more reference points. Also, the seam at the bottom right, follow the tack diagram and place the right part of the seam after its left piece is layed. Very good video on my previous post. Not the whole video, look at his technique on the bumper. He lays down the right side of that seam but then has to pull it up. You can lay it, just dont tack until last. Chris's best piece of advice was to take your time. View attachment 796265
Many thanks! This is very helpful. I will post my results when I get to it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Gtechniq Halo is now on the 2022 Tesla Model S. This is flexible ceramic coating for PPF only. Gtechniq recommends two coats. To do this took a 30ml and a 50ml bottle. This stuff seems to make a difference as the surface is very shiny and slick. Time will tell if it makes maintenance washes easier.

Reactions: DimaCA
Are you planning to do a write-up of tint installation?
Yes i will do a write up. Tint is the next project. I haven't purchased any yet. Could be a little while. Still learning how to do it too. While watching a video I paused to go take a look at my Tesla. I found a manufacturing defect. The cloth liner at top corner of hatch next to glass has pulled loose or was never attached. Its very ugly exposing relief holes. Looks like it was under a lot of tension in the corner. Maybe I can fix it. You'll be doing tint too. If you do before me, or even at same time, passing on your experience will be good for all. Have you started PPF yet?

Yes i will do a write up. Tint is the next project. I haven't purchased any yet. Could be a little while. Still learning how to do it too. While watching a video I paused to go take a look at my Tesla. I found a manufacturing defect. The cloth liner at top corner of hatch next to glass has pulled loose or was never attached. Its very ugly exposing relief holes. Looks like it was under a lot of tension in the corner. Maybe I can fix it. You'll be doing tint too. If you do before me, or even at same time, passing on your experience will be good for all. Have you started PPF yet?
No, not started yet. I plan to do it this weekend. I need to thoroughly clean the garage first.

Regarding the tint, I have the film itself but will do that after PPF. From Renoson's tint video, it seems not too complicated even though many people seem to suggest that tinting is harder to do than PPF.

I have installed my film. First time doing the PPF. Took me a couple days (front only) but my wife helped me. It would be way harder to do it by myself.

I started with fog lights, they turned out pretty good. Then I switched to head lights, they turned out perfectly (no defects, perfect alignment, no bubbles, no issues whatsoever). The biggest trouble was from the hood. We were installing the precut kit and somehow it gave us too much troubles with some bubbles. The hood on the Model S is quite large and it was hard to reach the part next to the windshield from the front. We could do it only from the sides.

The bumper turned out quite perfectly. There was some stretching involved (with one sensor giving us trouble) but it worked out perfectly (including the seams). Some fingers on the bumper required some convincing to go away (tips from Chris were very useful). We also employed out teenage-daughter to help (keep the bumper film slippery and preparing solutions). It was helpful too.

Wrapping on the hood was surprisingly not too easy. It took me a while to get the wrapped edge to stay (not using adhesive promoter). After 10 mins of struggling, I seemed to have learned the technique that helped.

The mirrors were not too bad (with two people doing that). I didn’t know that mirrors on the S have 3 pieces.

Overall, it was quite a positive experience.

I am now waiting for some tiny bubbles (mostly on the hood) to disappear (hopefully they will). If not, will use the syringe on them. After that, tinting will come next.
I had quite a bit of slip and air on the hood. You could tell where the squeegee strokes were. But I was very carefull, how could that happen. Well, it turns out I am my own worst critic. Those disappeared by the next morning for an almost perfect hood.

Reactions: Blacked_Y
I had quite a bit of slip and air on the hood. You could tell where the squeegee strokes were. But I was very carefull, how could that happen. Well, it turns out I am my own worst critic. Those disappeared by the next morning for an almost perfect hood.
Similar here. I was pretty sure there were no bubbles under PPF when I finished the squeeging but then they started to appear.

Gtechniq Halo. It's a flexible ceramic coating just for PPF. It requires two coats. I've done the first coat on hood, front fenders, mirrors, head and fog lights and front bumper. I think I'm using too much product and too much is ending up on the leveling/buffing clothes. My 30ml bottle has just enough for second coat on these pieces! It's beautiful!View attachment 793359
I had to buy a 50ml bottle to finish. To finish the whole Tesla took 80ml, a 30ml bottle and a 50ml bottle.

Couple notes: In about a day, a LOT of the streaks will disappear. Dont get discouraged immediately after applying. Also, for edges. I didnt use any tack solution but opted to let my hood sit open in the garage for about...4-6 hours after I finished applying the PPF. That gave the slip solution time to dry out fully from the edge area and let the wrapping occur around the edges, super easy. If there is any slip still wet at all (and assuming you are not using tack), it will not wrap/stick