Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Spare Tire Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the fit check. The Tesla hub calipers at 2.525" and the spare at 2.6+ and looks like this first shot hanging on the hub.
Spare Hub.jpg

More importantly, this next shot is with the Tesla OEM lug nuts snugged up to center the wheel. It clearly shows the lug nut threads are not fully engaged. The spare uses shank style lug nuts, not the tapered Tesla acorns. I wouldn't even attempt to torque this arrangement to 129 ft.lb.
Now that I have this spare, I will pursue the Gorilla shank lug nut fix in coming weeks.
Spare Threads.jpg

Sorry to be a naysayer, but 2.525 doesn't equal 2.6. I don't like the uneven gap around the hub prior to torquing the lugnuts.

The fact that the lug nuts "center" the wheel on the hub means the weight is being supported by the lugs, not the center bore. With the weight of the TeslaY, this just doesn't seem right.

Did the fit check. The Tesla hub calipers at 2.525" and the spare at 2.6+ and looks like this first shot hanging on the hub.
View attachment 672952
More importantly, this next shot is with the Tesla OEM lug nuts snugged up to center the wheel. It clearly shows the lug nut threads are not fully engaged. The spare uses shank style lug nuts, not the tapered Tesla acorns. I wouldn't even attempt to torque this arrangement to 129 ft.lb.
Now that I have this spare, I will pursue the Gorilla shank lug nut fix in coming weeks.
View attachment 672954
Specs are similar to a 3. Look at the 55 sec mark in the video. It’s a 67.1mm (OD) to 64.1mm (ID) adapter.

Reactions: NWMY
View attachment 672952
View attachment 672954
If you’re really skeptical about it, take the wheel to a rim shop and they’ll re-machine the mating surface of the wheel to match the stock lug nuts.

I started overthinking the whole spare tire thing. I even ended up buying 2 of them (a steelie and the aluminum one when Modern Spare was on back order), then I got a unrepairable flat before the Summit washers arrived so I just used the Equus spare and torqued them down as-is. Drove just fine for about a month until the replacement tire was available. Remember, this is a temporary spare with a suggested max speed of 50 mph.

For those who are adverse to risk, I would suggest getting a Modern Spare or just call for Tesla mobile service.

If you’re really skeptical about it, take the wheel to a rim shop and they’ll re-machine the mating surface of the wheel to match the stock lug nuts.

I started overthinking the whole spare tire thing. I even ended up buying 2 of them (a steelie and the aluminum one when Modern Spare was on back order), then I got a unrepairable flat before the Summit washers arrived so I just used the Equus spare and torqued them down as-is. Drove just fine for about a month until the replacement tire was available. Remember, this is a temporary spare with a suggested max speed of 50 mph.

For those who are adverse to risk, I would suggest getting a Modern Spare or just call for Tesla mobile service.
We're not talking about YOUR risk. We're talking about the people in the cars around you. You are putting THEM at risk.

This is risky. Period. Teslas are heavy. Industry standard: Lug bolts should NOT be supporting the weight of the car

A month isn't temporary.

tk1971P: I'm glad your wheel didn't fall off. I did almost exactly what you've done, in the early 70s, and my wheel didn't fall off either. When I took that car in to have a new tire mounted, the experienced tech gave me quite an earful, about how stupid I was to drive around with the studs supporting the weight of the car. It's not rocket science, and the laws of physics haven't changed. I have never forgotten the experience, nor the valuable lesson I learned.

You've posted what should be important and valuable information about trying to find a spare for the MY. Unfortunately, it is seriously flawed.

You didn't ask, but you've received accurate information. You are putting yourself at risk, and unless you're only out driving on empty roads, you're putting everyone around you at risk.

I think it's time a moderator steps in and deletes your thread, as it is giving dangerous advice.

(I will continue to do as I please, as long as it doesn't threaten others. I hope others will do the same, but hey, I'm an optimist!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.