Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do brake lights always turn on with regen? (incl gap to other cars)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a "normal car", if you press the brake lightly, the brake light will come on. In the Model S, if you take your foot completely off the accelerator, the physics of the car are the same as if you touch the brake on a normal car, so therefore the brake lights come on. It's the same.

In a normal car, if you use the gear-shift and hence the engine to make the car go somewhat slower, the break lights do not come on. I have not (yet) driven a Tesla, so I do not know this, but I have always compared taking your foot off the accellerator to what i described above; using the engine to slow down the car. Hence; IMO there is still not any use for the break lights to come on. Au contraire; I would find it disturbing.

In a normal car, if you use the gear-shift and hence the engine to make the car go somewhat slower, the break lights do not come on. I have not (yet) driven a Tesla, so I do not know this, but I have always compared taking your foot off the accellerator to what i described above; using the engine to slow down the car. Hence; IMO there is still not any use for the break lights to come on. Au contraire; I would find it disturbing.

It is much like downshifting (a perfectly smooth engine speed matched one) with no throttle. It is much more severe that just letting off of the throttle.

Or just letting off the throttle while in 2nd gear, and driving 55mph.

It is much like downshifting (a perfectly smooth engine speed matched one) with no throttle. It is much more severe that just letting off of the throttle.

Or just letting off the throttle while in 2nd gear, and driving 55mph.
Thanks ElSupreme - downshifting is the word I was looking for, and what I tried to compare to taking your foot off the accelerator.

MODS: I now see that this topic has been moved to another thread - please move my 2 posts.

You obviously have a higher class of idiot drivers where you live. Around here cars ride their brakes all the way down hills and brake before every curve in the road. This renders their brake lights useless for anyone behind them. I like that my Roadster lights the brake lights on regen as the car slows more quickly than downshifting my Corvette - some warning is required. I don't have my S yet so have to see if my thoughts change.

That would drive me nuts!

A flash of brake lights hasn't saved me on a rural highway every time. One time I chose to disregard it. The brake light flash was very brief so I figured the vehicle way in front of me just turned off their cruise control or something as we started to decend down the other side of the pass. A few moments later I found myself airborne. Apparently it was a truck in front of me and he had just hit a black bear. He just kept going and didn't do anything to warn me. (We have idiots that are the inverse of yours, I suppose.) My car smelled soooo bad after that. I felt sorry for the service guy that got the job of cleaning and inspecting the underside of my car.

That experience just reinforced my aversion to turning off the cruise control by tapping the brake.

- - - Updated - - -

Speak of the devil... A bear just wandered into my back yard and it isn't even garbage day.

If it's the SAME bear, run!

Hilarious that you allude to that on Halloween!!

ghostbear.jpeg

Maybe if people just backed off a bit and allowed a car length for every 10 mph as we were taught in driver training

Except that everyone's car length is different and people can't judge how far 1960 inches is anyway. They now teach to use seconds: The car ahead passes some fixed mark and you count the seconds until you pass the same mark. Depending upon the school, some teach three and some teach four seconds.

Except that everyone's car length is different and people can't judge how far 1960 inches is anyway. They now teach to use seconds: The car ahead passes some fixed mark and you count the seconds until you pass the same mark. Depending upon the school, some teach three and some teach four seconds.

Yeah around here you get about three or four tenths of a second headway if you are lucky.

Anything more than 2 sec doesn't last long as someone attempts to squeeze into the gap!

If regen on the Model S is strong enough to replace braking (except when coming to a complete stop), then I don't see why lifting the foot off the accelerator (completely) should *not* trigger the brake lights that very second. It's not like they are for emergencies only. That's what that other button is for. ;)

This probably needs a new thread, so mods, feel free to move this...

My point being, the regen is generally 'sold' as being a bit like a manual, when if you drop a gear, the car will slow. In that case, the brake lights don't come on, and people behind don't get stressed by it. I'm sure the logic for the Model S is complicated, and I've no idea how a Volt (for example) does it, but the current set up seems flawed. If I know that I 'brake' as soon as I lift off, I'll be overly-conscious of managing the accelerator pedal, which is a little distracting.

Of course, I say all of this based on this thread and a couple of test drives, so actual owners may have a more relevant point of view.

After just a few days of driving my Model S, I find that I adapted fairly quickly to "managing" the accelerator pedal. You develop the feel fairly quickly, and after a while, it becomes second nature, and you'll find that you rarely have to actually use the brake pedal, except to avoid creep when at a stop. It's actually most efficient that way, since any application of the brakes during forward motion wastes energy that could be used for regen.

Thanks ElSupreme - downshifting is the word I was looking for, and what I tried to compare to taking your foot off the accelerator.

MODS: I now see that this topic has been moved to another thread - please move my 2 posts.

Just to point out... Technically regenerative braking IS braking (hence the name) and the brake lights indicate that.

I just wish you could tell when the brake lights are on. At night, no problem as you can see the red glow. In the daytime, though, no way to tell that I have figured out. I widh there were a light on the dasy or something to let you know.

Does anyone know if the situation is similar on the Model S?

I just wish you could tell when the brake lights are on. At night, no problem as you can see the red glow. In the daytime, though, no way to tell that I have figured out.

At night I can see the red glow in my rear view mirror on my Roadster (easy to see on my Fusion Red, also any light colored car). During the day there is no way to tell... but that said, I've had enough night driving experience to have a pretty good idea of when it turns on and when it does not.

It would be nice to have a little glowing "brake light" dot somewhere on the instrument cluster, though.