Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do FSD cars have different hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in my reading on here, i see people mention hardware 2.5 or hardware 3.0 as far as autopilot hardware. Most are saying all new cars have 3.0.

I'm still not sure of the differences though and also does a car with FSD come with additional hardware because it seems like it would need to and especially for $7k it seems like it should?

The difference between FSD and not is 100% software. Now, this IS rather expensive software to get right, and it hasn’t happened yet. But there’s no intrinsic cost to add FSD to a car sold, although it does cost quite a lot to develop.

HW2.5 is just the older generation hardware, anything new has 3.0 if it’s FSD or not. It makes sense given the 3.0 hardware supposedly costs less to produce, and it produces more valuable data for Tesla to use in the hopes of accelerating FSD development.

What was supposed to happen is all new Model 3's were supposed to ship with HW3 after a certain date, and everyone who bought the FSD before this happened would be upgraded for free.

Like I have HW2.5, and I bought FSD when I bought the car over a year ago so I would be upgraded.

But, what actually happened is Tesla had supply issues, and they weren't able to provide ALL new Model 3's with HW3. So a bunch of them including very recent ones still have HW2.5 unless the owner specifically bought the FSD package.

So even if you buy today there is no guarantee that your Model 3 will have HW3 unless you get the FSD package. That really sucks as there isn't any compelling reason to get FSD at this time. Certainly not for $7K.

So I'd check with recent Model 3 owners who don't have FSD to make sure they have HW3. Hopefully by now they are all shipping with HW3.

There are lots of reasons to get a Model 3 with HW3, but without FSD. The HW3 is likely going to improve non-FSD stuff. Even trivial things like cone detection/visualization. Kinda silly in itself but there will be more things.

FSD done right will require more sensor hardware, but Tesla hasn't figured that out yet. So as of now it doesn't require any special hardware that doesn't either come with the Model 3 or as a promised free upgrade for FSD buyers.

Reactions: diezel_dave
My understanding is that hw 2.5 is an Nvidia chipset. Tesla contracted with Nvidia to provide the hardware. Due to Nvidia licensing, it's more expensive and less efficient because it wasn't custom built for Tesla, rather modified to meet their needs. Hw 3.0 is all Tesla. Much cheaper because there's no licensing costs. Also, it was custom engineered to do exactly what Tesla needed. Estimates are hw3.0 is 21x more efficient than 2.5 in it's image analysis capabilities. As FSD continues to be developed, there will probably be additional versions engineered in order to handle the increased processing that will be required.

yes, on the display when the cameras see them

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/11/03/tesla-driving-visualization-detect-traffic-cones/

They only display on HW3 cars right now (though 2.5 cars still see, and react, to them)
Thanks. Well, I’ll have to find some cones.

If you have HW 2.5 can you upgrade it to 3.0 out of pocket?

I get the impression from the article and other things that the HW 3.0 is important for all the visualization changes Tesla is making.

Why some cars built in late 2019 still have HW2.5 on them is beyond me. If the graphics hardware has to do with functions other than FSD, Tesla should not be dumping old parts on new cars. Like a lot of people, I have reserved judgment on FSD when it actually does something worth the $7K investment.

Waiting to upgrade to FSD shouldn’t mean I get a new car that is visually impaired!

Thanks. Well, I’ll have to find some cones.

If you have HW 2.5 can you upgrade it to 3.0 out of pocket?

Yes, but only by buying FSD.

Though you'll have to wait until your VIN comes up on the upgrade list (which thusfar has been going very very very slowly)

I get the impression from the article and other things that the HW 3.0 is important for all the visualization changes Tesla is making.

Why some cars built in late 2019 still have HW2.5 on them is beyond me. If the graphics hardware has to do with functions other than FSD, Tesla should not be dumping old parts on new cars. Like a lot of people, I have reserved judgment on FSD when it actually does something worth the $7K investment.

Waiting to upgrade to FSD shouldn’t mean I get a new car that is visually impaired!

Showing cones or not is the only functional difference between 2.5 and 3 (and it's arguable if that's actually a functional difference since both still "see" and react to them)

The reason only FSD buyers get their 2.x computers upgraded to 3 is Elon has stated it won't be needed for the functionality the car will offer without FSD.

Yes, but only by buying FSD.

Though you'll have to wait until your VIN comes up on the upgrade list (which thusfar has been going very very very slowly)

Showing cones or not is the only functional difference between 2.5 and 3 (and it's arguable if that's actually a functional difference since both still "see" and react to them)

The reason only FSD buyers get their 2.x computers upgraded to 3 is Elon has stated it won't be needed for the functionality the car will offer without FSD.
I’m talking about paying $ to get an upgrade to HW 3. Who wants reduced functionality on a 2020 car?
Lots of people like me will buy FSD when FSD shows it can do more than it does currently.

I can confirm that cones, construction barrels DO NOT appear on the screen in cars with FSD 2.5 ... tried it today after applying update 2019.40.2.1 yesterday. The car has been handling construction well for months otherwise. I checked with SC via an appointment and have seen it cancelled... they told me the hardware isn't yet available for my car. Probably based on VIN as Kinghtshade mentioned , first in first out, and not on demand ask.

I’m talking about paying $ to get an upgrade to HW 3.

Yes- if you pay money for FSD, the HW3 upgrade is part of what you are buying if bought on a HW2.x car.

That's the only way to buy a HW3 upgrade.

Which makes sense, since HW3 is currently understood to only makes a real functional difference for FSD owners anyway.

Who wants reduced functionality on a 2020 car?

I'm unaware of any 2020s being delivered with HW2.5- I think maybe August-ish 2019 was the last time I heard anyone confirm getting a 2.5 car....

Do you have a more recent example?

Though, again, "not showing cones" isn't really a functional difference. The car sees, and reacts to, cones in either HW version...so the function of the drivers aids is the same in both cases.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Yes- if you pay money for FSD, the HW3 upgrade is part of what you are buying if bought on a HW2.x car.

That's the only way to buy a HW3 upgrade.

Which makes sense, since HW3 is currently understood to only makes a real functional difference for FSD owners anyway.

I'm unaware of any 2020s being delivered with HW2.5- I think maybe August-ish 2019 was the last time I heard anyone confirm getting a 2.5 car....

Do you have a more recent example?

Though, again, "not showing cones" isn't really a functional difference. The car sees, and reacts to, cones in either HW version...so the function of the drivers aids is the same in both cases.

The "visualization" is one of the best features to me. You get to see all that is around and near you. If that becomes limited, your car is limited. FSD is still "want to be" software. It isn't even clear how insurers will deal with people who have problems with the "summon" feature - and hurt someone.

The "visualization" is one of the best features to me. You get to see all that is around and near you. If that becomes limited, your car is limited. FSD is still "want to be" software. It isn't even clear how insurers will deal with people who have problems with the "summon" feature - and hurt someone.
I would imagine that if you went into Tesla and ordered the 3.0 hardware and let them slide your credit card, they would probably sell it to you. I would think they would also be happy to install it for you if you let them slide your card again.

I have no idea what the cost might be. If it were several thousand dollars, it might be worth the FSD investment which would include the free upgrade.

Even though the only thing we might see as a difference is the cone visualization on the screen, there are likely other differences that are happening behind the scenes as well as future differences where you will be limited by the 2.5 hardware. I understand your frustration with buying a 2020 vehicle and getting some parts that were deemed out of date in late 2019.

I would imagine that if you went into Tesla and ordered the 3.0 hardware and let them slide your credit card, they would probably sell it to you. I would think they would also be happy to install it for you if you let them slide your card again.

I have no idea what the cost might be. If it were several thousand dollars, it might be worth the FSD investment which would include the free upgrade.

Even though the only thing we might see as a difference is the cone visualization on the screen, there are likely other differences that are happening behind the scenes as well as future differences where you will be limited by the 2.5 hardware. I understand your frustration with buying a 2020 vehicle and getting some parts that were deemed out of date in late 2019.

Well, no problem. I went by some cones today and saw them on the screen.

That visualization is one of the nice features of the whole console for me. I can see if future downloads are going to have changes in what is visualized and what it can do to help you.