Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need permit for Tesla Wall Charger if I already installed a permitted 14-50 Outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Evening everyone!

I have recently installed a NEMA 14-50 Outlet but I have been interested in upgrading to the Tesla Wall Charger

My plan was to have the same licensed electrical contractor do the installation

Does anyone know if this will require permits and city inspections again? I have also been debating if I should ask my HOA, they already approved the NEMA 14-50 outlet but I am worried that it might take months to approve if I ask them first.

It took 9 months to get HOA approval for the outlet and 4 months to get permits and inspections completed by the city for the NEMA 14-50 outlet !

Yes this is a condo community and it is underground in my parking spot assigned to my condo

It feels like it would not be necessary to get permits again since the electrician is only replacing the NEMA 14-50 box with the Tesla Wall Connector. It is just shutting off the breaker, removing the box and installing the new box (Tesla Wall Connector). The cables are just being disconnected and reconnected .

The hard part was getting power to that location but it feels like a cosmetic modification.

does anyone know for sure?

Reactions: enemji
Upvote 0
Put a 14-50 plug pigtail on the wall charger and call it a day.

In order to hard wire it yes you may need a permit from your city and HOA.
I did the same thing. No permit necessary.

20230128_123247.jpg

Reactions: cmy4x4
Upvote 0
Good Evening everyone!

I have recently installed a NEMA 14-50 Outlet but I have been interested in upgrading to the Tesla Wall Charger

My plan was to have the same licensed electrical contractor do the installation

Does anyone know if this will require permits and city inspections again? I have also been debating if I should ask my HOA, they already approved the NEMA 14-50 outlet but I am worried that it might take months to approve if I ask them first.

It took 9 months to get HOA approval for the outlet and 4 months to get permits and inspections completed by the city for the NEMA 14-50 outlet !
What's your Licensed Electrical Contractor say? We use our NEMA outlet exclusively to charge our 2018 LR Model 3. No issues

Upvote 0
Also does anyone know what is a reasonable price to pay the electric company to replace the nema 14-50 outlet box with the Tesla wall charger?

they already charged me thousands of dollars to install the outlet since it was a very long conduit run.
I would hope they don't charge more than 2 hours of labor to remove the nema receptacle and mount/connect the Tesla wall charger. The only catch may be that the length of conductors to properly mount the Tesla wall charger are typically longer than what is needed for the Nema receptacle due to the way they are routed inside the wall charger. I installed one of each a year ago, and found the Nema receptacle more challenging to install due to the limited space in the rectangular box and the stiff #6 conductors.

Upvote 0
My reading of NYC law was that changing an outlet does not require a permit but adding a line does. But that is NYC where the requirements are often a lot more strict. Does changing an outlet from a 14-50 to a wall charger count though? I'm willing to bet that it isn't specified in the NYC code.

But is it the same in SD? I highly doubt it.

Upvote 0
My reading of NYC law was that changing an outlet does not require a permit but adding a line does. But that is NYC where the requirements are often a lot more strict. Does changing an outlet from a 14-50 to a wall charger count though? I'm willing to bet that it isn't specified in the NYC code.

But is it the same in SD? I highly doubt it.
"Permit?, I don't need no stinking Permit!"

• Funny
Reactions: house9
Upvote 0
What's the purpose of the Tesla Charger as shown in this picture vs. plugging directly into the receptacle with the Tesla Power Cord I received with my 2018 Model 3?
I believe the latest and greatest Wall Connector allows you to build a 60A circuit which could charge your Tesla car to the maximum of 48A continously (80% of 60A) while the maximum current of Tesla Mobile Charger is 32A or 40A circuit breaker.

Plus you can control the Wall Connector via WiFi using the app that you couldn't do with Mobile Connector. Also if you own two or more Tesla cars, it's easier to have power sharing using multiple Wall Connectors to charge multiple Tesla cars that you couldn't do with Mobile Chargers. Please read the operating manual about power sharing using multiple Tesla Wall Connectors, it's pretty interesting.

Peter

Reactions: pipestem
Upvote 0